Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM

but ... are we responsible for this phenomena ... especially in the way we do church ... we encourage showmanship in many ways ...
Old 03-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
I went into a UPC church one time with a friend of mine and NO LIE, there were at least 10-15 huge portraits of the pastor and his wife hanging around the foyer. My friend lived in that town and went to another type of church, he made the comment, "There are x number of pictures of the pastor but I don't see one single cross."

Of course not all are as you described, but when a minister is more concerned about his name...well, you said it better than I could ever hope.

Another warning to young ministers...
A minister needs to be concerned about his name and reputation. (But I know what you meant by that Carp)

Anyway .......... 10 -15 huge portraits of the pastor seems a bit much maybe, dependiing on the size of the congregation. Some pastors are in a place long enough that church is home and the people aren't just a 'congregation' but family. The people love him. He loves them and there's a relationship that builds that would explain the portraits.

I've been in churches that have a pictorial history of the pastor coming to that church accompanied by portraits of he, his wife, and family .... oftentimes these pastors built the church from scratch, both the physical building and the congregation.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
A minister needs to be concerned about his name and reputation. (But I know what you meant by that Carp)

Anyway .......... 10 -15 huge portraits of the pastor seems a bit much maybe, dependiing on the size of the congregation. Some pastors are in a place long enough that church is home and the people aren't just a 'congregation' but family. The people love him. He loves them and there's a relationship that builds that would explain the portraits.

I've been in churches that have a pictorial history of the pastor coming to that church accompanied by portraits of he, his wife, and family .... oftentimes these pastors built the church from scratch, both the physical building and the congregation.
You are correct, I wasn't talking about a preacher being protective of his name, I would agree with what you said, I was referring to the fact that some men are not content with their life unless they have buildings, bridges, roads, financial trusts, funds, etc. named after them.

Speaking about the portraits, the church is approximately 600 people, and the man is very well known throughout.

I personally would characterize this pastor as a leader and a man of prayer, but the guy was right about the photos.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Formerly known as CareyM

Great post RRFord!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
but ... are we responsible for this phenomena ... especially in the way we do church ... we encourage showmanship in many ways ...
Regardless of how we "do church" there is no excuse for Ego Driven Ministry. One does not excuse the other, IMO.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
Regardless of how we "do church" there is no excuse for Ego Driven Ministry. One does not excuse the other, IMO.
No ... but the ego is fed when we think church is an theatrical production.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Bro. Ford,

While I agree with most of what you have to say here, because I have seen and witnessed it...I have also seen where those who's ministries are in demand be criticized and demeaned by other ministers that are 'jealous' of how God uses them.

Many of us would all like to be noticed [human nature], and lifted up in our ministries by those we know and respect, but such is not always the case. Many people who minister take a behind the scenes approach and are content to let others get the acclaim or the notariety, if you would. Then we have a separate group of 'wanna bes' who tear down, criticize, and make comments that others have ego problems when it is not them with the ego problem.

I think that this is the reason that we are told not to judge. I know in my own life...the things I have judged others for has come back to me in unexpected ways...and I realize what is happening and feel sad.

JMHO.

Blessings, Rhoni
Rhoni,

Whiel I appreciate, and agree to some extent with your point of jealousy, I would say it pales in comparison to Ego. JMO.

As for the judgment that comes home to us, we have all been there and it is sad for all of us.

Why can't we start service w/ the preacher???
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
No ... but the ego is fed when we think church is an theatrical production.
Therefore, the preacher of the Gospel should never view his time in the pulpit as such regardless of what a local church does. It all goes back to "I die daily."
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why can't we start service w/ the preacher???

Uhm, who said we can't?