Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamor View Post
You can stop anytime now. You're making me hungry!!
haha.. just wait. When I get back from my errands I'm going to PM you details about the fall fest that is Sunday evening... and you'll really be hungry. LOL
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
haha.. just wait. When I get back from my errands I'm going to PM you details about the fall fest that is Sunday evening... and you'll really be hungry. LOL
Yum! Not fair!! And I would hate to come since we didn't make it for anniversary services. It would look like we're only coming down when there is food!!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
When we did dinners in the past, we usually made more money if we did it on a donation basis. That way, folks who might not have the money will come and give "something" but there were always some that would throw in anywhere from five to twenty to even a hundred bucks. Just something else to consider......
I wouldn't have thought of that, thanks for the idea!!

Jesus Always Wins
Old 11-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Had the "Dinner" Yesterday after SS, everything went very smoothly. We only freaked out a little when someone ran up and told us that the Pastor decided to dismiss 30 minutes early........ At that time that left us 30 minutes to finish preparing everything!! Aaaaaaauughhhhhh!!!!
But we threw it into high gear and got it done!!

Whew........... I'm tired!

Jesus Always Wins
Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
AKA Tricia Lea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Dominos!

sounds good here

now I am hungry
John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

http://www.myspace.com/tricialea2000
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuswins View Post
Had the "Dinner" Yesterday after SS, everything went very smoothly. We only freaked out a little when someone ran up and told us that the Pastor decided to dismiss 30 minutes early........ At that time that left us 30 minutes to finish preparing everything!! Aaaaaaauughhhhhh!!!!

So what did y'all serve and how did y'all do? Did ya charge or ask for donations?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuswins View Post

Ya'll did a GREAT job! The food was very good and the service too!
Within a couple minutes we had 4 different people come to our table to see if we needed anything....Nathan and I never get that kind of service.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Ok here are just a few suggestions from the peanut gallery (or a former assistant pastors wife who did these stinkin dinners about every month for 3 yrs!!!!) GRRRRR

Ok first of all the menu's that were posted are wonderful and actually all but one of them are identical to ones we have used.

2. The idea of the takeout boxes is wonderful and it is something we did because we had a lot of elderly families that just couldnt handle standing and waiting so we had about 30 of the takeouts ready at the end of service and then the rest we made as we went that way we wouldnt lost out on much food.

3. We did the majority of it by the main course asking all of the ladies to donate 5-10 dollars each and either bring a dessert or bread and one can of the selected veggie for that dinner. This makes the veggie about the only thing that has to be made right then... You heat the rolls up right at the end and you can actually have most of the main course finished by the time you head off to church. Set it in the oven on low and it will be nice and ready for service at the end of church.

It is really best for 1 or 2 people to prepare the main course and we either met at the church or sometimes at each others home and did the majority of the prep the night before or sometimes if it was something that would refridge good we actually made it the night before. Tooooo many cooks in the kitchen is never a good thing and especially if you have a small work area it is very hard on the day of right before to be preparing all of this food.

4. As for charging for the dinner. This all depends upon the demographics of your church. We did the donation thing for a long time but then we ended up buying a building in a very poor part of town and (disclaimer I am not trying to sound rude as our church had a ministry that did nothing but feed homeless every week and also a halfway house ministry but this was not that) word ended up getting out that we were having dinners at the church and it ended up being a free for all... we spent 350 one day and made 85 dollars!!! It killed us! It was all funded by the youth dept and we didnt have a lot of funds at that time and so we ended up even deeper.

It is best to set a charge for the dinners if you have any chance of these things happening. 5 dollars was the perfect amount and as long as the dinners are announced in advance everyone should be able to afford that as it is being done as a fundraiser. Now for an actual church dinner thats another story.. we never charged for our thanksgiving and christmas dinners just because that was dinner for the church... so depends on the reason you are having the dinner and the demo of the dinner.

Hope some of this has helped you and if I think of more I will let you know!

God bless you in your adventures! I can gladly say I will NOT be doing the church dinner this year!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
So what did y'all serve and how did y'all do? Did ya charge or ask for donations?
We ended up charging $5 for adults and $3 for kids 3-11. We had several that bought extra tickets and said to give them to those who couldn't afford it. Plus we had "tip" jars on each table.
Menu was Turkey, dressing w/gravy, mashed potatoes (real, not instant), green beans, roll, peach cobbler or choc cake, tea or lemonade.

When all was said and done... we had enough turkey left to fix 15 take home boxes which were sold at the end of the evening service. So that was cutting it close!!
whew....

Jesus Always Wins
Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent4 View Post
Ya'll did a GREAT job! The food was very good and the service too!
Within a couple minutes we had 4 different people come to our table to see if we needed anything....Nathan and I never get that kind of service.
I'm glad, I was stuck in the kitchen making up plates, so I was hoping that the service was good! We had many compliments about how efficient everything was, so I'm hoping for another big crowd when we do it again in January! Not even going to try it in December...... my husband will divorce me!!

He said I stressed him out!!

Jesus Always Wins