Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned

Re: Is Christmas “pagan”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Here is the issue for ME... and first let me say that I don't believe that every person has to believe it exactly the way I do or they are on their way to the firey furnace...

So many people today, in and outside the church,describe themselves as 'spiritual but not religious'... I can remember when lots of people would have described Oprah as a good Christian woman... So while dabbling in non-Christan practices may seem harmless enough... It dulls our senses. We have become desensitized and overly accepting of many ungodly things... and as children of God we need to carefully examine each practice that we bring into a day that we puport to be among our most holy.

If something is just for fun then it is just for fun. We have Independence Day and Thanksgiving and many other days to make merry... but if a Christian decides to celebrate the birth or resurection of the Saviour in 'Christmas' and 'Easter' than they need to be sure that their traditions honor Him in a way that He would recognize.
Eh, cultural traditions are just cultural traditons. Easter Bunny is for kids too young to really understand the significance of Easter. I was raised in a home that had all the traditional holidays and customs that came with them. I was into the Easter Bunny... it didn't make me a bunny worshiper. hehehe
Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

LOOK OUT... IT'S A FICUS!!!! ROFL

Ficus is fine. It's those satanic Firs you have to ban from your house. And Pines are ok...as long as there are no lights hanging from them. That would open a door for Beelzebub to dance into your home.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
Don't take this wrong, but this is a stupid summation.

First, if you think that witchcraft is anywhere remotely relatable to the benign Christmas "pagan" practices, then your holier than thou hat is far too tight on your head. Loosen it up and let your brain get a healthy dose of bloodflow.

Second, if you think letting a kid dress as a superhero or a power ranger for halloween will make them accepting of ouija boards then again...you are out of your mind.

It's no wonder people tend to think Christians are whack jobs and want nothing to do with us or our Christ.
Nasty, defensive behaviour does not become you. If that is your best attempt at being ugly you missed the part about my upbringing. You could desolve into the profanity that I am sure you are on the verge of and it won't make much of an impression here, sorry.

I was not raised in a bubble like lots of OP's and kids do play 'seance' at summer camp, even church camp. They also dabble in spells and the 'magic' you are wanting to feed a steady stream of to your own child.

My children are grown, in their 30s with children of their own. I know that being simple and honest produces good kids that go on to be great men and women. I hope that fantasy and magic have the desired result for you in your own children.

Peace.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
LOOK OUT... IT'S A FICUS!!!! ROFL

Ficus is fine. It's those satanic Firs you have to ban from your house. And Pines are ok...as long as there are no lights hanging from them. That would open a door for Beelzebub to dance into your home.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nasty, defensive behaviour does not become you. If that is your best attempt at being ugly you missed the part about my upbringing. You could desolve into the profanity that I am sure you are on the verge of and it won't make much of an impression here, sorry.

I was not raised in a bubble like lots of OP's and kids do play 'seance' at summer camp, even church camp. They also dabble in spells and the 'magic' you are wanting to feed a steady stream of to your own child.

My children are grown, in their 30s with children of their own. I know that being simple and honest produces good kids that go on to be great men and women. I hope that fantasy and magic have the desired result for you in your own children.

Peace.
I went to summer camp. How'd I miss the seance? I think you're projecting your own experiences of spiritual rebellion onto all young people.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

Maybe some people just get entranced by Christmas trees and feel irresistibly drawn back into the Kingdom of Darkness at the slightest whiff of holly. LOL!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Eh, cultural traditions are just cultural traditons. Easter Bunny is for kids too young to really understand the significance of Easter. I was raised in a home that had all the traditional holidays and customs that came with them. I was into the Easter Bunny... it didn't make me a bunny worshiper. hehehe
Perhaps Aquila, but can you say that this is reproducable? That the Bunny and Egg tradtions are not now what most people believe that Easter is 'all about'? You obviously had other training as a child that most children are not getting today. I only hope that the 'church' will keep their message of the birth and of the resurrection clean, if that makes sense to you at all.

I certainly am not trying to take away any ones fun... sorry if I sound Grinchy
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Skit:
A brother who doesn't believe in Christmas just arrives at another brothers house. As the brother opens the door of his home... the evil begins...

"Praise the Lord Brother!"

"Praise the Lord, and Marry Christmas!"

The first brother begins to go into a blank stare. Soon he's shaking as he locks eyes on the Christmas tree.

"M...mm...mmmmmm.... must worship. Must... worship... tree!"

"Um, bro. What's wrong with you?"

The visiting brother shoves the dear hospitible brother aside and begins bowing in mindless obescience to the shining pine as the home owner's wife speak up...

"Honey, you have to stop inviting those fundamentlists over. You know they just can't handle it."

And so another brother as stumbled at the unseen and satanic power of... the Christmas Tree!
lol
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Yeah...I grew up in no bubble. I wasn't raised in any church, OP or otherwise.

You my dear Titus are simply overcompensating. You had a bad childhood around witchcraft so now you see a boogeyman around every corner. Everything is evil now b/c you were apparently raised in an atmosphere where evil was readily accessible.

That's your hang up, not mine or millions of others who aren't driven to fearful memories of a witchcraft filled childhood everytime we see a CHristmas tree or a jack-o-lantern.

The proper godly reaction for you may be to shun those things which open old wounds, but your convictions are for you...not others. In the process you have apparently convinced yourself that since it is what God may require of you for your own health, you think everyone else should espouse it. And when they don't...they just aren't as spiritual as you are. Liek I said..the holier than thou hat get sreally tight when you convince yourself you are the only one who is truly spiritual and recognizes the great evil of everything in the world.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps Aquila, but can you say that this is reproducable? That the Bunny and Egg tradtions are not now what most people believe that Easter is 'all about'? You obviously had other training as a child that most children are not getting today. I only hope that the 'church' will keep their message of the birth and of the resurrection clean, if that makes sense to you at all.

I certainly am not trying to take away any ones fun... sorry if I sound Grinchy
So you REALLY think the majority of Americans think Easter is about a Bunny? ROFL!

Get real. Every American knows what Easter is. Sure, the kids are interested in the bunny and the candy. But... they really don't get the deeper tones of a man bleeding to death on a cross and then being risen again the third day until they are about five years old.