Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned

Re: Is Christmas “pagan”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefaith2 View Post
When your kids try to be good all year so they can make Santa's list, the desire to please Santa overrides who we SHOULD be pleasing. My point was Santa is not just a game. It should remain a mother goose fairy tale in my opinion. Its ok to KNOW about Santa but also to KNOW its just a story. What is wrong with that?
Nothing's wrong with that. In fact, that's the ultimate outcome. And for the record... my kids have never had to "be good all year so they can make Santa's list". Normally we don't start talking about Santa until well after Thanksgiving.

Oh... but what's interesting is that my little boy is five and my lady friend has a five year old girl. In trying to not make Santa's naughty list... they are learning responsibility for their actions.

Here's something cute. I told my son that if he paid attention he might see elves shopping in the stores. He asked how he could recognize them. I told him that anyone with a hat covering the tips of their ears is most likely an elf. Christina just gave me smile and rolled her eyes. As we walked by a guy with a hat covering his ears my son whispered as loud as he could, "Daddy, did you see THAT GUYS EARS?" LOL It was very cute. On the way home I could tell that Noah was thinking. I looked into the rear view mirror when we were on the way home and I asked him how he was. He said, "Daddy, you have a hat that covers your ears. Christina has a hat that covers her ears. Addy has a hat that covers her ears. And I have a hat that covers my ears." Then he said, "I think we're all elves.", and he smiled a knowing smile. I just said, "I think you're on to something Noah." lol

It's a game. A silly little cultural game.

Last edited by Aquila; 12-21-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
So does the kid get the whole Harry Potter series too? Just askin'.

Having been raised in a home that included witchcraft as part of our religious practice I clearly see where where the pagan overlap in modern holidays is. And if you do not believe that there is an active dark side out there you better get your bible back out and have a read. Kids allowed 'innocent' Halloween celebrations in very young years will think noting of playing Oujia board games at summer camp...
Don't take this wrong, but this is a stupid summation.

First, if you think that witchcraft is anywhere remotely relatable to the benign Christmas "pagan" practices, then your holier than thou hat is far too tight on your head. Loosen it up and let your brain get a healthy dose of bloodflow.

Second, if you think letting a kid dress as a superhero or a power ranger for halloween will make them accepting of ouija boards then again...you are out of your mind.

It's no wonder people tend to think Christians are whack jobs and want nothing to do with us or our Christ.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Perhaps, Brother Aquilla, you just feel you are being judged by the information about pagan holidays being given to you?

I see nobody here judging anybody for wanting to have their tradition of Christmas. Traditions are just ...vain...like Jeremiah 10 says ..... for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I believe that Christians should have all information available to them so that they can make informed choices in their lives. People can choose to be ignorant, willfully ignorant or informed as best as they can be.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
(Hosea 4:6)
Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Here is the issue for ME... and first let me say that I don't believe that every person has to believe it exactly the way I do or they are on their way to the firey furnace...

So many people today, in and outside the church,describe themselves as 'spiritual but not religious'... I can remember when lots of people would have described Oprah as a good Christian woman... So while dabbling in non-Christan practices may seem harmless enough... It dulls our senses. We have become desensitized and overly accepting of many ungodly things... and as children of God we need to carefully examine each practice that we bring into a day that we puport to be among our most holy.

If something is just for fun then it is just for fun. We have Independence Day and Thanksgiving and many other days to make merry... but if a Christian decides to celebrate the birth or resurection of the Saviour in 'Christmas' and 'Easter' than they need to be sure that their traditions honor Him in a way that He would recognize.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
Don't take this wrong, but this is a stupid summation.

First, if you think that witchcraft is anywhere remotely relatable to the benign Christmas "pagan" practices, then your holier than thou hat is far too tight on your head. Loosen it up and let your brain get a healthy dose of bloodflow.

Second, if you think letting a kid dress as a superhero or a power ranger for halloween will make them accepting of ouija boards then again...you are out of your mind.

It's no wonder people tend to think Christians are whack jobs and want nothing to do with us or our Christ.
WOW!

First you tell her "not to take this wrong", then you get downright insulting.
It is documented fact that most people who get involved in the seduction of the occult start with the most "benign" of dabbling in pagan practices.

How many people in the Bible were considered to be "whack jobs" of the people in their day because they chose to wholly follow the Lord to the best of their ability and not the customs of the people or the King's decree?

Daniel? Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego? John the Baptist? Elijah?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

In retrospect, perhaps my last response was a bit harsh or blunt.

I am hard pressed to retract it b/c I believe it completely, btu it may have been a little strong.

Perhaps I am just getting more and more sick of the same nonsense. "If someone doesn't find the same things evil that I do, then they must need to open their Bible and read a littl emore. Afterall, i know what is evil better than anyone. And if they don't share my view they just must not understand liek I do. If they don't act like a zealot over a harmless practice then their kids will turn into satan worshipping heathens. So everyone should share my same feelings on how evil everythign is in this world."
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

Having been raised in a home that included witchcraft as part of our religious practice I clearly see where where the pagan overlap in modern holidays is. And if you do not believe that there is an active dark side out there you better get your bible back out and have a read. Kids allowed 'innocent' Halloween celebrations in very young years will think noting of playing Oujia board games at summer camp...
Ummm... I've always participated in Halloween growing up... and I've never played with a Oujia board.

This is like the thread on prom. All these guys were talking about how terrible it is and how it can only draw our kids away, blah, blah, blah. But all of them attended prom and they are apparently "spiritual" and walking with the Lord. lol
Old 12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:

That's a spirit of fear and isn't of God.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady? View Post
Perhaps, Brother Aquilla, you just feel you are being judged by the information about pagan holidays being given to you?

I see nobody here judging anybody for wanting to have their tradition of Christmas. Traditions are just ...vain...like Jeremiah 10 says ..... for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

I believe that Christians should have all information available to them so that they can make informed choices in their lives. People can choose to be ignorant, willfully ignorant or informed as best as they can be.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
(Hosea 4:6)
Oh, I'm in full agreement if you believe we should know where these customs originated from. I've always joked about putting a wreath on the door as being my time to "Do as the Romans do." lol

I've already started telling my five year old about the history of the real St. Nicholas.

I'm all for information. But I am against living in fear of a stupid decorative tree.

LOOK OUT... IT'S A FICUS!!!! ROFL
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouReady? View Post
WOW!

First you tell her "not to take this wrong", then you get downright insulting.
It is documented fact that most people who get involved in the seduction of the occult start with the most "benign" of dabbling in pagan practices.

How many people in the Bible were considered to be "whack jobs" of the people in their day because they chose to wholly follow the Lord to the best of their ability and not the customs of the people or the King's decree?

Daniel? Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego? John the Baptist? Elijah?
I'm sure said poster is a fine person who loves God. No doubt about that. That doesn't change the fact that their assertion regarding Christmas being anyhting resembling witchcraft or Harry Potter, as well as the conclusion that dressin up for halloween will lead to ouija boards was indeed worthy of insult.

Saying something like that is dumber than a bag of hammers. I, along with millions of other children, grew up dressin up for trick or treat and sure enough...never once partook of a ouija board or otherwise satanic or witchcraft related activities.

People can be fine people and still say or believe completely idiotic things. If something is idiotic...then there is no sense trying to pretend it isn't.