Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

In Philippians now in the NJKV. Otherwise I am focusing in on Zelaot by Reza Aslan, more so than Reimagining Church.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

I finished Philippians last night in the NKJV and am ready to move on to Colossians.

So far I have found the NKJV to be a very good translation as far as the mechanics of the English language goes. A person is who very familiar with the KJV would have no problems transitioning to the NKJV if they so desired.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I finished Philippians last night in the NKJV and am ready to move on to Colossians.

So far I have found the NKJV to be a very good translation as far as the mechanics of the English language goes. A person is who very familiar with the KJV would have no problems transitioning to the NKJV if they so desired.
I'm reading The NKJV Chronological one year bible

The One Year Chronological Bible NKJV Paperback – October 1, 2013
by Tyndale

The One Year Chronological Bible offers a fascinating way to read through the Bible in one year, in as little as fifteen minutes per day! Gain a better understanding of the order of biblical events and the historical context in which they unfolded. The entire Bible text―books, chapters, and even verses―is arranged in the order the events actually happened. Prophetic books are interwoven with the historical accounts they accompanied. Psalms follow the events about which they were written. Proverbs are placed in the time they were compiled. The life of Christ is woven into one moving story. And Paul’s letters to the young churches in the first century are integrated into the book of Acts. Transition statements help you understand why some Scripture portions appear where they do. You do not have to be a Bible historian to appreciate the fascinating new perspective waiting for you in The One Year Chronological Bible. It’s like reading some of your favorite passages for the very first time. This edition uses the popular New King James Version of the Bible.
https://www.amazon.com/One-Year-Chro...5N31SB5HZ6TVDP

Last edited by Amanah; 07-28-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

Just wondering, why would someone very familiar with the KJV want to transition to the NKJV? Sounds kinda backward, don't it?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Covenant Apostolic

What do you think of this one Esaias?

NeoHistoricism Why Islamic Terror and Clergy Sex Abuse: wouldn't surprise Luther, Calvin, Wycliffe, Knox, Wesley, Spurgeon or Jonathan Edwards Paperback – May 14, 2016

Why did Islamic terror and the clergy sex abuse scandal take Christians by surprise? Because 100 years ago many churches tossed aside the 'historicism' of their founders. A new book by David A. Reed documents how the great preachers of the 1500s-1800s saw radical Islam and the Vatican as fulfilling prophecies about a 'man of sin,' an 'antichrist,' a 'beast' and a 'fierce ruler' who would imperil Christians and Jews. Instead, many churches now embrace 'dispensationalism'--a politically correct view that relocates these end-times villains to a future seven-year Tribulation, after believers are safely raptured to heaven. Or, 'preterism'--another politically correct view, that pushes the same villains back into the First Century. Reed's book quotes their sermons where the apocalyptic villains are neither ancient history nor a far-off future threat, but a clear and present danger. Back in 1520 Luther wrote to Pope Leo X that "the Church of Rome...has become the most lawless den of thieves, the most shameless of all brothels." Would Luther be surprised by the clergy sex abuse scandal uncovered by the Boston Globe's Spotlight team? To the Reformers, Islam was not a 'great world religion of peace,' but rather a hostile kingdom set up in opposition to Christ, and foretold in Scripture. Radical Islam's role in the Holocaust--as uncovered recently by secular researchers--falls into place when the historicists' approach to prophecy is extended to our day, which is what NeoHistoricism does. NEOHISTORICISM is historicism brought up to date -- applying their methods to modern events. DAVID A REED served for a decade as a contributing editor of Dr. Walter Martin's "Christian Research Journal." He taught in 1997 and 2015 at the annual School of Theology at Spurgeon's Metropolitan Tabernacle in London. His first book on biblical apologetics, published in 1986 by Baker Book House, sold more than 1/4-million copies in several languages. Since then he has authored twenty books on apologetics and Bible prophecy.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:25 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
What do you think of this one Esaias?

NeoHistoricism Why Islamic Terror and Clergy Sex Abuse: wouldn't surprise Luther, Calvin, Wycliffe, Knox, Wesley, Spurgeon or Jonathan Edwards Paperback – May 14, 2016

Why did Islamic terror and the clergy sex abuse scandal take Christians by surprise? Because 100 years ago many churches tossed aside the 'historicism' of their founders. A new book by David A. Reed documents how the great preachers of the 1500s-1800s saw radical Islam and the Vatican as fulfilling prophecies about a 'man of sin,' an 'antichrist,' a 'beast' and a 'fierce ruler' who would imperil Christians and Jews. Instead, many churches now embrace 'dispensationalism'--a politically correct view that relocates these end-times villains to a future seven-year Tribulation, after believers are safely raptured to heaven. Or, 'preterism'--another politically correct view, that pushes the same villains back into the First Century. Reed's book quotes their sermons where the apocalyptic villains are neither ancient history nor a far-off future threat, but a clear and present danger. Back in 1520 Luther wrote to Pope Leo X that "the Church of Rome...has become the most lawless den of thieves, the most shameless of all brothels." Would Luther be surprised by the clergy sex abuse scandal uncovered by the Boston Globe's Spotlight team? To the Reformers, Islam was not a 'great world religion of peace,' but rather a hostile kingdom set up in opposition to Christ, and foretold in Scripture. Radical Islam's role in the Holocaust--as uncovered recently by secular researchers--falls into place when the historicists' approach to prophecy is extended to our day, which is what NeoHistoricism does. NEOHISTORICISM is historicism brought up to date -- applying their methods to modern events. DAVID A REED served for a decade as a contributing editor of Dr. Walter Martin's "Christian Research Journal." He taught in 1997 and 2015 at the annual School of Theology at Spurgeon's Metropolitan Tabernacle in London. His first book on biblical apologetics, published in 1986 by Baker Book House, sold more than 1/4-million copies in several languages. Since then he has authored twenty books on apologetics and Bible prophecy.
Hmm, might be a good read. BTW, the "scandals" of the RCC are nothing new, people were complaining about sodomite boy lover priests, orgies, whores, and even ritual cannibalism and human sacrifice back in medieval times.

Did you know that practically ALL modern occultic "magic" and witchcraft systems are based on medieval grimoires (instruction books in magic, demonology, etc) and those grimoires were all authored by and preserved by catholic priests and monks? And all of them are Christianized versions of Jewish kaballah occultism?

Funny thing, that is. Rather curious, in fact.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Hmm, might be a good read. BTW, the "scandals" of the RCC are nothing new, people were complaining about sodomite boy lover priests, orgies, whores, and even ritual cannibalism and human sacrifice back in medieval times.

Did you know that practically ALL modern occultic "magic" and witchcraft systems are based on medieval grimoires (instruction books in magic, demonology, etc) and those grimoires were all authored by and preserved by catholic priests and monks? And all of them are Christianized versions of Jewish kaballah occultism?

Funny thing, that is. Rather curious, in fact.
We are watching this course from the teaching company, and Prof Noble is explaining how, in the west after the Goths, Visigoths, and Ostrogoths began to rule kingdoms in Italy, Pepin the Short gave a grant of land to the papacy and they became the government and one of the major employers in the region. They were basically the only game in town. So, all the nobles of Rome sought employment, secular and ecclesiastical. He is not mentioning any Jewish connection. Did that come later?

Popes and the Papacy: A History
Course No...6672

Professor Thomas F. X. Noble, Ph.D.
University of Notre Dame

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/cours...a-history.html

moving this to the eschatology section

Last edited by Amanah; 07-28-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Just wondering, why would someone very familiar with the KJV want to transition to the NKJV? Sounds kinda backward, don't it?
I know some people who have been trained into thinking the KJV is the only allowable English translation of the Bible to read and study from, who have a hard time with the archaic language and poetic grammar. These people would be welled served if they switched to the NKJV, for the reasons I stated above.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Grossman is grossly misleading...
Whatever Lt. Col. Grossman has become-and I admit, it's not something I like-the book in question was written well before this transformation took place, and the data in the book is solid. Therefore, I still believe the book is a good recommendation.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:43 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Whatever Lt. Col. Grossman has become-and I admit, it's not something I like-the book in question was written well before this transformation took place, and the data in the book is solid. Therefore, I still believe the book is a good recommendation.
I've read his book, I wouldn't say "don't read it", but I would recommend a hefty side order of salt to go with it.