Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-17-2024, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: 3.5 years or 1260 years

That could be the true point. Bravo.

However, and I need to read back some mor and see what you days about the most obvious one, , Daniel 9 is about seventy weeks of years not days.

But the lexicon says the word means seven, period. Shabua. . And it says days or years because that's how it is usually used in Hebrews. Not that years symbolize it. It is a heptad. Look up that term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
That's not what Genesis 29 says.

[Genesis 29:18, 20 NKJV] 18 Now Jacob loved Rachel; so he said, "I will serve you seven years (sheba sanim) for Rachel your younger daughter." ... 20 So Jacob served seven years (sheba sanim) for Rachel, and they seemed [only] a few days to him because of the love he had for her.

Then,

[Genesis 29:27-28, 30 NKJV] 27 "Fulfill her week (shabua), and we will give you this one also for the service which you will serve with me still another seven years." 28 Then Jacob did so and fulfilled her week (shabua). So he gave him his daughter Rachel as wife also. ... 30 Then [Jacob] also went in to Rachel, and he also loved Rachel more than Leah. And he served with Laban still another seven years (sheba sanim).

Clear as water. Jacob waited total 7 years + one week to be able to be with Rachel.

The Septuagint also states it clear:

Laban said, It is not this way in our region, to give the younger one before the elder. Therefore finish the week for this one, and I will give you also this one for the work, which you will work with me yet another seven years. Jacob did so and completed the week for this one, and Laban gave Rachel his daughter, for him as wife... He loved Rachel more than Leah and served him another seven years.

The reason why the Lexicon says "seven of days or years" is because there is one book instance where "shabua" means symbolically seven years. But that's is an interpretation of the Lexicon, not an actually meaning of the word. It is like saying "sun" also means "father" because a prophecy had the "sun" meaning "father" symbolically. The Lexicon is incorrect. The only way to defend that "seven of years" is truly part of the semantic range is by proving that there are other places where the word is used to mean so that are not in the symbolic context.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 09-17-2024 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:26 AM
He will direct my path!

Re: 3.5 years or 1260 years

I hope this provides clarity

For biblical usage, "Shabua" (שָׁבוּעַ) refers to:

1. Week (seven days)
2. Period of seven (years, etc.)

The term "Heptad" (seven) is more of a linguistic/lexicographical category, describing the semantic field of "seven"-related concepts.

In biblical usage, "Shabua" specifically appears in contexts related to:

1. Weeks (e.g., Genesis 29:27-28, Leviticus 23:15-16)
2. Seven-year periods (e.g., Genesis 29:18-20, Deuteronomy 15:1)

Here are some examples:

- Genesis 29:27-28: Jacob's seven-year wait.
- Leviticus 23:15-16: Counting seven weeks (Shabuot).
- Deuteronomy 15:1: Seven-year release.

While "Shabua" implies a seven-related concept, the biblical usage focuses on specific periods (weeks, years) rather than the general notion of "heptad."

Here are the sources supporting the biblical usage and definitions of "Shabua" (שָׁבוּעַ):

*Hebrew Lexicons and Dictionaries*

1. Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon (BDB), page 985.
2. Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon, page 744.
3. The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament (HALOT), volume 4, page 1404.

*Bible Versions and Commentaries*

1. The Hebrew Bible (BHS, Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia).
2. The New International Version (NIV) Study Bible.
3. The Jewish Study Bible (Oxford University Press).

*Specific Biblical References*

1. Genesis 29:27-28 (Jacob's seven-year wait).
2. Leviticus 23:15-16 (Counting seven weeks, Shabuot).
3. Deuteronomy 15:1 (Seven-year release).

*Online Resources*

1. Sefaria: A digital library of Jewish texts.
2. BibleHub: A comprehensive online Bible study resource.
3. MyJewishLearning: Educational resources on Jewish history, culture, and traditions.

*Academic Journals and Books*

1. Journal of Biblical Literature (JBL).
2. Vetus Testamentum (VT).
3. "Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament" (TDOT), edited by G. Johannes Botterweck.