Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Communion at AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
I am sitting through a week long class and in this class is a nun who works with HIV positive patients.

I watch this woman pretty much all day from across the table. She wears her habit, her long flowing cotton robes and she has a very pecular countenance. One could say she is plainfaced, chaste, humble, non-assuming, yet at the same time, she wears all these things with a certain panache that communicates...I am a nun, I am plainface, chaste, humble and non-assuming having given my life to God...and you are not.

I then considered the pretty outrageous thought (the class is rather boring), Apostolic women are the representation of the Apostolic (or more specifically the UPC) nuns considering the expectations of the church on the women!

Ask yourself, why are there more nuns than priests, why aren't monks as prolific as nuns, and why is it that there are more women active in the A-church (from a perspective of buy-in) than men?

It is too funny and interesting a contrast and comparison to just let go by, so I had to present it to you people.

I also had an epiphany that we have embraced the Catholic tradition of calling each other "Brother and Sister" too.

I love hanging around Catholics, so much clarity it brings forth !!!!!
Jekyll's wife here.....

Man for the "Bible being your ultimate authority as it should be", you sure spend a lot of time tearing down the word of God, and the stand people CLOSE to you take........ you've got to get right.. man....I gotta get outta here....I can't stand this nonsense anymore.....I pity your wife
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
So it seems you disagree with both terminologies. If that is the case what is the grounds for discourse here as opposed to you giving a monologue?
I don't disagree with either. I just wish the church would be honest with itself and its constituency.

There is nothing wrong with Apostolic women dressing as they do. I love the woman in my life who does just that...in fact more than the oxygen in my blood.

I am just saying that for the 20-odd years I have been around it, seeing the things I have, hearing the things I have, being exposed to the writings, preachings, messages, and discourse ALL in contrast (DO NOT read contradiction) with the word of God, I...yes I believe that the church is not being honest with itself...

I understand this looks as though I am putting myself in a position above folks, but I couldn't be honest and true to my relationship with Jesus and his word, by buying into something that I KNOW is not truth.

Sorry, that is where I am right now.
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
almost 68% according to Barna
This site would refute that number.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/d/divorce.htm

Quote:
Actually, the figure jumped from 50% of all first time marriages in the United States end in divorce to 68% about three years ago. The stats are higher for second marriages, but tend to level out for third marriages.

I am not sure about the skew you are talking about. I do know that since 1995, the divorce rate in Pentecostal circles, which includes trinity pentecostals as well as oneness, has dramatically increased.

I don't know enough about the current measures to knowledgably talk about the possible bias. It has been awhile since I took statistics to recall the margin of error but it looks like it would have to be pretty accurate to come out of governmental census documents.
I don't believe this is accurate.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 PM
delete account

Many people in other denominational churches have received the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. I worry about those who condemn Mother Theresa for what she has done judging that she did not have a salvational expeience.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Jekyll's wife here.....

Man for the "Bible being your ultimate authority as it should be", you sure spend a lot of time tearing down the word of God, and the stand people CLOSE to you take........ you've got to get right.. man....I gotta get outta here....I can't stand this nonsense anymore.....I pity your wife
For someone who admits openly how much they can't stand this place, you sure spend a lot of time here......LOL!

Maybe you should get your own name....like, Hyde.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Jekyll's wife here.....

Good Golly Miss Molly, I hope Jekyll's wife didn't think I was serious.

I suppose I should have just kept my mind thinking about the lights in the room using up electricity instead of thinking about the nun...

I repent.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
Brother, I can't believe that you wouldn't even see that there is a seed of correctness in what I am saying.

You must think we are polarizing to an extent we have our backs turned to reality.

Why oh why is it that when a woman who has constantly and consistently sent the message that she is compliant, she is holy, whatever, through her appearance would be shocked and frightened to the bottom of her mortal soul to have ANYONE see her outside her uniform?

This to me indicates that there is a perspective toward sending a message than it is to really please the Lord. I can also ask about the way she dresses in and around her own home. WHy it it only important when there are people around?
I will agree that some are as you describe. I have as much as said so already.

But I do not think your view is the wholesale view. Sorry. Maybe in your world that is how it was explained. Not in mine.

Quote:
Many people in other denominational churches have received the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues. I worry about those who condemn Mother Theresa for what she has done judging that she did not have a salvational expeience.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
For someone who admits openly how much they can't stand this place, you sure spend a lot of time here......LOL!

Maybe you should get your own name....like, Hyde.
Go easy, she is hardly ever here...if ever...