Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Again, let's discuss what the thread is really about, not one sentence out of many that has nothing to do with even the thread title. You are making this a lot bigger than what it is by pulling it out of things that I feel are more important to discuss.
Yes, let's look at your original post (in blue):

"He was preaching tonight about various things, but mentioned that there are people who take one verse out of the Bible and make a doctrine out of it. He went on to say that the Bible says in the mouth of two or three witnesses that all words should be established and that people don't need a list of rules to attend his church."

Okay, there are many who believe that a doctrine should be based on more than one verse of scripture. Do you have a problem with this?

Now, before some of you take in a deep breath to hold for 30 seconds, let me say that he also said he preaches the Bible, and if it's not in there, he's not preaching it. I was waiting.....out of curiosity......if he was going to mention standards in any way.

Many people say they preach the Bible and that if it's not in the Bible they don't preach it but that doesn't make it so. Beyond that, I can't comment.

He did. He said that people can come to church as they are. Doesn't matter to him if women cut their hair or wear pants, only that they come to church and be saved. He said that it's not our works that save us anyway.

A good approach.

Hold on. I heard a couple of you inhale deeply and quite loudly.

He mentioned again that he preached the Bible. Now, knowing what I know of him, I know that he believes in standards, so I'm waiting for him to say something contrary to that.

Okay, I'm not sure why you would expect him to say something contrary to what he believes.

Well, he didn't. He wasn't obvious about it, but he did make the statement that he preaches the Bible and if people don't obey, he's not going to force the issue, but that they are welcome to his church regardless.

As one would expect.

My dilemma is that I've been thinking about attending another church soon. However, the nearest one is 40 miles away. I was thinking of leaving for several different reasons but nothing really to do with standards.

Now we're getting to the real crux of the matter!

In the 18 months I've been attending here, I've never talked to him on a personal basis. He's not one to be pushy, and I respect that, but I feel that he's not too interested by not talking to me.

My previous response still applies. You did say that you've "never talked to him on a personal basis" (as opposed to "about personal issues"). Why haven't you? Why must your pastor come to you? Who do you think you are that the man GOD has placed over you must kowtow to you?

Some have asked if I requested a meeting with him. No, I haven't. I'm not good at that kind of thing. I'm used to pastors wanting to talk to me and I comply with a meeting. No biggie.

So, again, why haven't you? The "I'm not good at that kind of thing" is no excuse. Why should he want to talk to you? What's so special about you that he should want to talk to you? Who do you think you are with this "I'm used to pastors wanting to talk to me" attitude? As for "and I comply with a meeting," why do you have to be TOLD to meet with your pastor?

However, after hearing this message tonight, I'd really like to talk to him. I want to be careful and not sound confronting or accusational or whatever, but I'm interested in hearing him explain how he doesn't believe people should make a salvational doctrine out of one verse, but he does that with standards issues, if he even realizes it.

GO TALK TO HIM!!!!!!!

I'm also not sure if changing churches is a good idea at this time. There are other things going on with my children that I feel might be detrimental if I were to change right now. A week ago, I felt it was the right thing to do. Right now, I don't feel it's time.

Are you going to keep shopping for churches until you find one where the pastor comes to you wanting to talk to you? Notice how often you've said "I feel." It isn't about your feelings, it's about what God commands! GO AND PRAY!

Anyway, I'm just unsure as to what to do. But I do fully believe in listening to what God has to say, and I will just have to wait on Him to decide for me.

Well, you're not listening to God if you're going on "I feel."

Okay, I've addressed the several different issues you've addressed in your original post. Are there other issues? Like maybe all those things you didn't like about what your pastor has been doing?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Chan

Quote:
Maybe you should have asked me what I meant by that statement instead of assuming.
If you don't mean what you say, then your yes is not yes and your no is not no - which is contrary to what Jesus commanded.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I consider you a friend as well, and I don't see your posts as any other way but friendly. If I'm ever in your area again, I hope to visit your church and hear you preach...again. I promise that if you say something I don't agree with, I won't stand up and shout it out..haha. I won't even make a face.
HAHA!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Chance, I think that HO got your point(s)....

unless you can bring additional insight to the table, let it go.... its ultimately her decision how to respond anyhow (as right or wrong as it may seem)

don't let this thread get outta control.... we gotta be careful this doesn't turn into attacking another poster.... from either side....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvaro View Post

unless you can bring additional insight to the table, let it go.... its ultimately her decision how to respond anyhow (as right or wrong as it may seem)

don't let this thread get outta control.... we gotta be careful this doesn't turn into attacking another poster.... from either side....

Should we really be calling another poster "HO"?

Heeeyy, wait a minute, people call me PP.

This ISSSSSSSSSS outta hand!!!!!!

I demand an apology!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvaro View Post

Yes, I got his point, and it's nothing different than he adds to any subject he posts on, and that's nothing but criticisms. I'm not interested.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

My sincere advice would be talk to your pastor and voice your concerns in a kind way.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Quote:
Yes, I got his point, and it's nothing different than he adds to any subject he posts on, and that's nothing but criticisms. I'm not interested.
I wasn't siding with you (I actually agreed with Chance on several points) but badgering you over the same things isn't going to help either of you.... or progress the thread discussion any....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes