Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: Non-Traditional Oneness Pentecostal Standards

As most of you know, I am no longer attending an Apostolic church. Instead I go to the local CMA church.

We live in a small town where several times a year all of the local churches get together for ecumenical services of one sort or another. Our church is known as the most conservative church in town. We don't have church dinners where alcohol is served, nor do any of our people smoke. I've never heard those things preached against. But people just don't do it. I'm convinced that much of that is because people will follow the leadership of whoever they are under. Our pastor is more conservative than any of us. We have discussed drinking alcohol in our SS class. We do have people who think it's ok to have an occasional drink, but never to excess. We have others who can't feel that it's ok for them to drink at all. But everyone follows their own convictions on this.

I have to laugh tho because at almost every ecumenical service this town has, the local Lutheran pastor will get up and make some comment about the fact that "if you want religion, you'll want to go to the Methodist church or the Alliance church. But if you want to have a good time, check out us Lutherans". Then he'll make some crack about how they never have a church dinner without breaking out the wine and beer and how there's not an ashtray to be found at the Alliance church; that you have to go to the Lutheran church or the Catholic church if you need one of those.

This man is pitiful tho. I would never sit under him. He spends most of his days at the local Elks Club drinking himself under the table.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
As most of you know, I am no longer attending an Apostolic church. Instead I go to the local CMA church.
This man is pitiful tho. I would never sit under him. He spends most of his days at the local Elks Club drinking himself under the table.
He sounds like the founder of his sect- Martin Luther. Luther's "table talk" was often bawdy, anti-semetic and coarse.

The CMA is one of the older Holiness groups.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post
Boring here? Dude I don't know if I can even find the Admin room there anymore.

LOL

(But it was exciting for a few weeks with a certain poster.)

But back on topic.

Personally I think many of the things mentioned here are of a higher standard than many mainstream denominations.
I think we agree there.

It should be pointed out the mainstream denominations in question would very likely dispute that "higher standard" part.

It occurs to me that many Christians love the Lord, yet reach different conclusions on how one should conduct himself in practical lifestyle application.

I conclude then, we must be careful when judging others and the intent of there hearts. Though we all have perimeters that we consider safe/unsafe, we do well to avoid condeming those who reach other decisions in their own Christian disciplines.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:

We live in a small town where several times a year all of the local churches get together for ecumenical services of one sort or another. Our church is known as the most conservative church in town. We don't have church dinners where alcohol is served, nor do any of our people smoke. I've never heard those things preached against. But people just don't do it. I'm convinced that much of that is because people will follow the leadership of whoever they are under. Our pastor is more conservative than any of us. We have discussed drinking alcohol in our SS class. We do have people who think it's ok to have an occasional drink, but never to excess. We have others who can't feel that it's ok for them to drink at all. But everyone follows their own convictions on this.

I have to laugh tho because at almost every ecumenical service this town has, the local Lutheran pastor will get up and make some comment about the fact that "if you want religion, you'll want to go to the Methodist church or the Alliance church. But if you want to have a good time, check out us Lutherans". Then he'll make some crack about how they never have a church dinner without breaking out the wine and beer and how there's not an ashtray to be found at the Alliance church; that you have to go to the Lutheran church or the Catholic church if you need one of those.

I would be curious to know what Lutheran Church he is affiliated with
I am friends with a local Lutheran Paster, and hold him in high regard.

The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is a very conservative group, yet they do not require total abstainence of alcohol. I have heard him preach against drunkeness, DWI, Abortion, Divorce etc.

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
I would be curious to know what Lutheran Church he is affiliated with
I am friends with a local Lutheran Paster, and hold him in high regard.

The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is a very conservative group, yet they do not require total abstainence of alcohol. I have heard him preach against drunkeness, DWI, Abortion, Divorce etc.
Sorry, Steve. I really don't know which Lutheran group he is affiliated with. He's been here for a very long time (probably over 25 years now). His wife caught him in bed with another woman and divorced him. He's now married to that second wife. His church folks love him because he's a jolly, happy, funny guy and is very easy to listen to. The problem is that while I enjoy his sermons for their entertainment value, the reality is that he preaches very little, if any, true Bible. We've stopped attending the services when we know he is scheduled to preach. It's nauseating to hear him butcher the Word of God the way he does
Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Honorary Admin

Quote:
Interesting concept MOW.

Teaching principles, and in most cases allow for self-regulation.

I know when first purposed a similar strategy as Admin on a different forum it was met with incredulity. And to be honest there were a few "interesting" weeks before it began to work.

But now I believe we have the absolutely most quiet Admin room of any forum its size.

Sometimes codes of conduct are perhaps easier to 'enforce' through self-regulation than with a whip?
Well, I know that some are downright fearful of letting people make their own decisions, especially when the "old order" was to make their decisions for them. Actually, I used to be really good at that. I practiced what I was taught. The problem was that it didn't really produce any righteous fruit. People "looked" OK and acted like they were supposed to IN church. Had problems everywhere else though.

The truth is that I have far less problems now than I did before. I know some will say that you can't have any problems if you don't preach anything. From "their" perspective, I guess that's true compared to what they preach. But I'll put the righteousness of the folks I pastor next to anyone else's. I'm not saying they're better, but I don't think they come behind. We have ZERO politics. We have ZERO divisions. We have ZERO arguments. I also don't have people getting drunk. I have NEVER had anyone "fool around" with someone else in the church. Outside the church, maybe, but not in the church.

Our attendance has more than doubled in the past 9 mos. If God trusts US then we, as pastors, should trust THEM. It also really frees me to preach the word instead of my personal convictions.

The Rabbis state that the reward for doing good is a hundred times greater than the punishment for doing bad. Now that's a strange concept, isn't it?

I am also NOT implying that anyone who is more "strict" than I or draws the "line" in a different place is wrong! I am only stating where I am and why.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Steve. I really don't know which Lutheran group he is affiliated with. He's been here for a very long time (probably over 25 years now). His wife caught him in bed with another woman and divorced him. He's now married to that second wife. His church folks love him because he's a jolly, happy, funny guy and is very easy to listen to. The problem is that while I enjoy his sermons for their entertainment value, the reality is that he preaches very little, if any, true Bible. We've stopped attending the services when we know he is scheduled to preach. It's nauseating to hear him butcher the Word of God the way he does
I doubt he is part of Mo Synod. In fact they rarely participate in community events.

If the church he pastors has a website that would tell us.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:47 PM
ultra con (at least here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
I don't believe you! LOL! AFF Admin room is downright boring!
DUDE with all the banned threads here lately how can you say its boring!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 PM
ultra con (at least here)

Quote:
DUDE with all the banned threads here lately how can you say its boring!!!!!!!!!
BUMP for Stephen Hoover
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
BUMP for Stephen Hoover
Hmmmm.... yes I read you loud and clear.

That fact is we don't have many banned threads recently on AFF.

Some threads are closed for good reason.

Feel free to address your concerns to the Admin team if there is a particular question.