Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Re: Do All Speak With Tongues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Making a comparison with natural fruit growing...it takes time. Sure there is joy and peace with repentance but fruit has to be produced on a consistent basis. It's not a fruit that is brought about by circumstances (I'm happy causeI won the lottery!) But a fruit that is abiding during good and bad times and is anchored in a consistent walk with Christ as we are led of the Spirit.
Miz,

We do not produce fruit. We cannot make it grow.

God is the one who produces it. It is called the "fruit of the Spirit."

However, we can quench the work of the Spirit if we choose to.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

Quote:
Making a comparison with natural fruit growing...it takes time. Sure there is joy and peace with repentance but fruit has to be produced on a consistent basis. It's not a fruit that is brought about by circumstances (I'm happy causeI won the lottery!) But a fruit that is abiding during good and bad times and is anchored in a consistent walk with Christ as we are led of the Spirit.
The comparison doesn't fit the reality. "Fruit" of the Spirit is not to be compared with apples and pomegranates. "Fruit" in this sense is paralleled with the "works" of the flesh. How long does it take a sinner to develop sin in his life? Aren't we sinners from birth? How long does it take for sin to mature in us? Does it matter if you're a 45 year old sinner or a 15 year old sinner or a 5 year old sinner? We are all sinners. The works of the flesh are produced as a by product of our sinful nature. The fruit of the Spirit is produiced by virtue of being a child of God---at the new birth. "To as many as received Him to them gave He the power to become the sons of God." Fruit of the Spirit could be called the work of the Spirit. That begins immediately.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Both. In Acts 10 tongues was a sign to Peter and the Jewish Christians.
That would contradict Paul's words in I Cor. 14 who said that tongues was NOT a sign to believers but a sign to unbelievers. Peter and the men with him were unbelievers in a sense b/c they did not believe that Gentiles were approved of God until they heard them speak with tongues. Paul says plainly that tongues are not a sign to believers. Yet we have made it a sign to believers to validate whether someone is accepted by God, a part of the body of Christ, saved, Spirit filled, or good enough to teach Sunday School, be an usher or sing in the choir. Its not biblical.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
No, the Spirit is with them but not IN them.
I John 4:15 "If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God." Its more than just "with".

Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Well doesn't satan and his angels also acknowlege that Jesus is son of God? I think you have to do more than aknowledge, obedience comes into play somewhere surely. My two cents anyway.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
all people who are overflowing with the Spirit of God speak in tongues

out of their belly shall flow rivers of living water

the HG will fall on them as it did on the early church in the beginning

if we don't preach that people can/will receive the HG, then they won't

the point is not to emphasis speaking in tongues, or try to make people speak in tongues, but it is in the bible why not teach it

why not tell people they can receive the HG

why not tell them that if God wants them to speak in an unknown tongue, it's the HG, they can receive and respond
Because no one preached that people would speak in tongues. They preached Christ, they preached the Cross, they preached repentance, they preached the Gospel. In Acts 2 they didn't know what would happen, they just sought God. They didn't know what would happen throughout the book of Acts, they simply npreached Jesus. And what happened after that is never the same result in every case except this: in all 18 recorded instances of conversions in Acts ALL of them 100% of the time include repentance/belief/faith. Only three times is it recorded converts spoke with tongues. The Holy Ghost is not an IT! The Holy Ghost is God! When someone gets God---they get Him! Eph 1:13 "And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having BELIEVED, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit."

Preach the Gospel and God will confirm the Word with signs following. We are not to seek after signs! They happen as a byproduct of faith in Jesus Christ.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
Well doesn't satan and his angels also acknowlege that Jesus is son of God? I think you have to do more than aknowledge, obedience comes into play somewhere surely. My two cents anyway.
Sure. They don't repent. Nor do they have the option to do so. They are angels, not living souls created in the image of God.