Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Thats right and especially one with a parsons-white string bender.
I've seen those b-benders but I've never used one. Tough enuf mastering the geetar without adding things on to complicate it.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Psalms 132:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
God spent a couple of chapters in Genesis dealing with the creation of the universe.

He allotted many times that many chapters to the story of Joseph, which really is the saga of a man's character being tried and built through adversity.

Character is THE issue. everything else being equal.
IMHO.

Joseph developed excellent character in spite of horrendous personal abuse from his brothers. Joseph didn't know what his brothers had told his father and could have spent a lifetime feeling abandoned by his father also.

I know personally a lady that was abused by her parents and brothers, but refused the crutch ("I was abused") that so many lean on when asked WHY their life is in shambles.

These guys aren't the only ones to grow up and find their parents weren't what they appeared to be, so have tons of other kids, but the others haven't taken to mocking the Church.

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Shepherd View Post
Seeing as how they are demon posessed, I doubt they have any interest in going to church [except to mock maybe].
Moran!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Psalms 132:1

Spellcheck alert!

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLYP View Post
Moran!
Who is Mr. Moran? (for a minute I thought you were trying to get banned again with a personal attack, calling someone a moron!)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Who is Mr. Moran? (for a minute I thought you were trying to get banned again with a personal attack, calling someone a moron!)
LOL You know...Ive been gone so long....what little I can, I have to make it count.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paths View Post
IMHO.

Joseph developed excellent character in spite of horrendous personal abuse from his brothers. Joseph didn't know what his brothers had told his father and could have spent a lifetime feeling abandoned by his father also.

I know personally a lady that was abused by her parents and brothers, but refused the crutch ("I was abused") that so many lean on when asked WHY their life is in shambles.

These guys aren't the only ones to grow up and find their parents weren't what they appeared to be, so have tons of other kids, but the others haven't taken to mocking the Church.
Good points. I certainly believe that once children become adults they are responsible for their own decisions, and God will hold them just as accountable as anyone else, no matter what their past consists of.

I do think it's interesting to observe, though, the level of "wildness" that emerges when children in a minister's home rebel, as opposed to those from a "regular" home...it seems to be much, much more extreme, especially when things were not okay on the home front.

I think that ministers have a double responsibility for keeping themselves in check at home, as well as outside the home, because they have to remember that they are pastoring their family as well as their church. Many times, that seems to be forgotten or neglected and home is a place to rant and rave and vent and let it all hang out, consequences be, well.....

A person in authority, such as a parent, can cause lasting damage to a soul, especially a small soul, if they aren't careful, and when that authority is magnified into pastor or preacher, so that the authority isn't just parental, but spiritual...well...there's the recipe for disaster. Add to the process that children have no choice but to endure such leadership, and can't, like a regular saint, remove themselves from under an abusive, immoral pastor because he happens to also be their father?

Hmmmm.

Seems to me that the qualifications for a Bishop weren't just light words and suggestions...I could name several ministers right now that certainly don't fall under the "not soon angry" and "not a striker" guidelines, and they've kept their positions for years...decades, actually. Those two things alone can really mess up a child. That's just off the top of my head. I think there's a reason that guidelines were given specifically for ministers...not because saints don't have to follow the same things, really, but because ministers have people--and families--depending on them for spiritual leadership and guidance and nurturing....

*sigh*

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Great post Abigail!

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 03-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
Their dad could crawl out of bed, get up, and preach a flashy and catchy sermon almost without effort.

But when he preached revivals for us, you had a hard time catching him praying.

Berkeley's pastor, on the other hand, also preached for us.

That man prayed. I know, because I was young and spent a good bit of time at the church praying, and he was there a lot when I was.

He impressed me; the other fellow didn't, although he was the better natural orator.
I know lots of guys like this; they depend on their talent and don't "need" God to preach. I thank God I have a praying man for a husband!! He's there early every morning, and about 5:30 on Sunday, praying for God's favor and anointing.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Great post Abigail!
ty.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road