Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Survival is really the root of all evil

I have personally come to the conclusion that it is not the love of money but rather the need to survive that is really the root of all evil. I save money, like most of us try to do. I do this not to simply amass riches, but due to the survival instinct. Like in the past... prior to winter, people would stock up for the long bleak months when it is cold and there is no food readily available. I may not need the money now, but when I do, it is there.

Money is just a thing, a coin, a piece of paper. You can't eat it. But, if I'm holding onto some food and you are starving and have the will and the means to overpower me and take my food to survive and leave me for dead, then that is the greater root of evil, not something superficial like money.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Re: Survival is really the root of all evil

I disagree. But power and control is. Survival is strong but many have more than enough but it is power and control that drives them.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
But power and control is.
But power and control stems from the survival instinct.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
But power and control stems from the survival instinct.
How so? If you have everything you need and want how does power and control help you survive?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
How so? If you have everything you need and want how does power and control help you survive?
Try giving up your job and living on the streets and eating at a soup kitchen every day. You probably won't do it because then you are giving up power and control of your everyday life.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

But, also, even a rich and powerful CEO is going to keep his riches "just in case they are needed" in order to make his business bigger, if the economy takes a hit, pay for legal battles, pay employees, etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I have personally come to the conclusion that it is not the love of money but rather the need to survive that is really the root of all evil. I save money, like most of us try to do. I do this not to simply amass riches, but due to the survival instinct. Like in the past... prior to winter, people would stock up for the long bleak months when it is cold and there is no food readily available. I may not need the money now, but when I do, it is there.

Money is just a thing, a coin, a piece of paper. You can't eat it. But, if I'm holding onto some food and you are starving and have the will and the means to overpower me and take my food to survive and leave me for dead, then that is the greater root of evil, not something superficial like money.
The Bible is very clear that the "love of money" is the "root of all evil." It's not even money that's the root of evil. It's the love of money.

Your statement about people stocking up for long bleak months makes Joseph evil for overseeing Egypt's stocking of grain during the lean years. People should be wise and plan for emergencies and lean times.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

I also know for a fact that large religious organizations hold onto riches "just in case". Why are they holding on to them? In order to survive.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
The Bible is very clear that the "love of money" is the "root of all evil." It's not even money that's the root of evil. It's the love of money.

Your statement about people stocking up for long bleak months makes Joseph evil for overseeing Egypt's stocking of grain during the lean years. People should be wise and plan for emergencies and lean times.
Very true. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared in fact in the proverbs we are encouraged to do so but as the Bible says and you pointed out the love of money is the root of evil.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Very true. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared in fact in the proverbs we are encouraged to do so but as the Bible says and you pointed out the love of money is the root of evil.
Do you love money?