Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM

Want to help me pick a new religion?

Poke a fork in me... I think I am done!... With the UPCI that is.

We were originally part of a very large UPCI church but left to try to find something less negative and more normal. We then spent two years in a smaller UPCI church and while I found the change of pastor somewhat of a change I still really can not seem to make the UPCI and their doctrine work in my life. So as of about two months ago we started getting out by cutting back services and relinquishing commitments.

Let me be plain to say that we are not ready to give up on God and feel we need a church home. Towards that I have spent the past two months reading doctrinal statements by the scores. I know more about religion than I really ever wanted to but still have no idea where to go...So I made a list, in no particular order, are some things I know about me... anyone want to hazard a guess at where I might fit in?

1. I do not buy the trinity but am not convinced that oneness (taught the UPCI way) is technically correct either. Best I can explain the Godhead is to say that it's not either one of those views, may be too hard for humans to understand or explain or if there is a good explanation I haven't heard it.

2. I believe in the infilling of the Holy Spirit. I do not believe that the HS will make one act like a maniac and really want to avoid the whooping wild worship associated with Pentecost but still desire liberty in worship.

3. I prefer expository teaching.

4. I prefer a place where simplicity, modesty, etc. are taught and practiced but not turned into a set of rules.

5. I would like some kind of interactivity in church. A time either in classes or after teaching/preaching where questions are welcome. I do not appreciate some one giving me my opinion if they want it especially when delivered as screaming from behind the pulpit.

6. I want balance with my life apart from church. I can't come to 5 or 6 services/events/programs a week at church. I am happy if they are offered for those who want them but I do not want to be seen as less spiritual for not being at everything.

7. I would like to avoid money hungry church. Big building and expansion plans and their subsequent demands on the people to finance their personal dreams, dirty rich and getting richer ministry, places where tithes are taught in a threatening way. I am a generous, cheerful and faithful giver but really want to tear up my check after being told that if it is not enough I will instantly drop dead if lucky... if not I will get cancer like some other poor sucker... uhmm, I mean sister, did.

8. I'm not big on hearing about hell all the time or how everyone I know will wind up there and it will be all my fault if I don't manage to drag them to the next revival. I would prefer to skip the hell business all together but will tolerate it occasionally. I do my level best to reach the lost but am comfortable to leave others on their own spiritual journey without having to convince them that my way is the only way.

9. I prefer Sabbath keeping if possible but am willing to worship on Sunday. I don't want to hear that Sabbath keepers are stupid or that people that worship on Sunday are going to hell (see above).

10. I don't really care for a lot of holiday hoopla. Trunk or Treat for Halloween, Christmas banquets, Valentines and Mother's day fund raisers, Easter picnics but if they go on it's no big deal to me as long as I am not required to participate for conscience sake.

Any guesses even?

TIA

Last edited by Titus2woman; 01-18-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

Re: Want to help me pick a new religion?

I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post

We were originally part of a very large UPCI church but left to try to find something less negative and more normal. We then spent two years in a smaller UPCI church and while I found the change of pastor somewhat of a change I still really can not seem to make the UPCI and their doctrine work in my life. So as of about two months ago we started getting out by cutting back services and relinquishing commitments.

Let me be plain to say that we are not ready to give up on God and feel we need a church home. Towards that I have spent the past two months reading doctrinal statements by the scores. I know more about religion than I really ever wanted to but still have no idea where to go...So I made a list, in no particular order, are some things I know about me... anyone want to hazard a guess at where I might fit in?

1. I do not buy the trinity but am not convinced that oneness (taught the UPCI way) is technically correct either. Best I can explain the Godhead is to say that it's not either one of those views, may be too hard for humans to understand or explain or if there is a good explanation I haven't heard it.

2. I believe in the infilling of the Holy Spirit. I do not believe that the HS will make one act like a maniac and really want to avoid the whooping wild worship associated with Pentecost but still desire liberty in worship.

4. I prefer a place where simplicity, modesty, etc. are taught and practiced but not turned into a set of rules.

5. I would like some kind of interactivity in church. A time either in classes or after teaching/preaching where questions are welcome. I do not appreciate some one giving me my opinion if they want it especially when delivered as screaming from behind the pulpit.

6. I want balance with my life apart from church. I can't come to 5 or 6 services/events/programs a week at church. I am happy if they are offered for those who want them but I do not want to be seen as less spiritual for not being at everything.

7. I would like to avoid money hungry church. Big building and expansion plans and their subsequent demands on the people to finance their personal dreams, dirty rich and getting richer ministry, places where tithes are taught in a threatening way. I am a generous, cheerful and faithful giver but really want to tear up my check after being told that if it is not enough I will instantly drop dead if lucky... if not I will get cancer like some other poor sucker... uhmm, I mean sister, did.

8. I'm not big on hearing about hell all the time or how everyone I know will wind up there and it will be all my fault if I don't manage to drag them to the next revival. I would prefer to skip the hell business all together but will tolerate it occasionally. I do my level best to reach the lost but am comfortable to leave others on their own spiritual journey without having to convince them that my way is the only way.

9. I prefer Sabbath keeping if possible but am willing to worship on Sunday. I don't want to hear that Sabbath keepers are stupid or that people that worship on Sunday are going to hell (see above).

10. I don't really care for a lot of holiday hoopla. Trunk or Treat for Halloween, Christmas banquets, Valentines and Mother's day fund raisers, Easter picnics but if they go on it's no big deal to me as long as I am not required to participate for conscience sake.

Any guesses even?

TIA
Can't help you, unless you want to come to the Dallas area, to far?
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Banned

I would say that having been led away from one school, God surely has another in mind for you. While I can't imagine what might be wrong with the church of titus2woman (i see lots of little branches coming off you already), and would encourage you to find a congregation that honors that church, God may have a better idea.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Renewed

This is too funny. All of your complaints/descriptions have nothing to do with the UPC. You could have just described any church or religion for that matter.

1. You don't understand the Godhead but don't agree with any way it has been taught. How does this hinder your church life ?

2. Define "maniac", rofl . I am assuming that jumping pews and falling in the floor flopping like a fish out of water was required of you ?

3. As opposed to "suppository" teaching ? lol.

4. How does one "practice" modesty without some sort of guideline ?

5. We have so many classes we can attend that allow us to be apart of the discussion it's not even funny.

6. I am assuming you were pulled aside and told you were backslidden for not being there everytime the doors are open ?

7. This sounds like you need a new pastor,lol.

8. See above.

9. Your church preaches "against" worship on Sunday ?

10. Are these things manditory ? Really ?

Sorry but these are not UPC problems, they are a conflict of interest between you and a pastor/church. I hope you find a happy medium somewhere that suits your christian walk. But I doubt it will make a difference what "doctrinal" church you pick, they all will cross at least a couple of your 10 top problems. UPC or not.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 01-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

I read, understood, and empathize with all of your 10 conditions. What seems to be happening is, God's talking to you and leading you to another chapter in your life and relationship with Him. Just let it unfold and each day the way and the future will become more clear. These situations come to those who are tired of the status quo and have a quiet but strong spiritual revolution going on within their heart. You have been praying and seeking more of late and this is the result! Your Heavenly Father didn't lead you to this point in your experience with Him to leave you confused. One important warning! Don't be looking for just another church group that fits your criteria because you would soon grow weary of that also. The "change" that is happening is within you and when you accept and experience that change an inner contentment will come that will sustain you wherever you find yourself to be. [ I seldom post anymore but upon reading your question I was compelled to write. If it agrees with your heart, so be it and if not ... throw it out to those goats on your farm. LOL ]
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

start your own church or bible study group. lol good luck with that search. let me know when you find that church.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
This is too funny. All of your complaints/descriptions have nothing to do with the UPC. You could have just described any church or religion for that matter.

1. You don't understand the Godhead but don't agree with any way it has been taught. How does this hinder your church life ?

2. Define "maniac", rofl . I am assuming that jumping pews and falling in the floor flopping like a fish out of water was required of you ?

3. As opposed to "suppository" teaching ? lol.

4. How does one "practice" modesty without some sort of guideline ?

5. We have so many classes we can attend that allow us to be apart of the discussion it's not even funny.

6. I am assuming you were pulled aside and told you were backslidden for not being there everytime the doors are open ?

7. This sounds like you need a new pastor,lol.

8. See above.

9. Your church preaches "against" worship on Sunday ?

10. Are these things manditory ? Really ?

Sorry but these are not UPC problems, they are a conflict of interest between you and a pastor/church. I hope you find a happy medium somewhere that suits your christian walk. But I doubt it will make a difference what "doctrinal" church you pick, they all will cross at least a couple of your 10 top problems. UPC or not.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Can't help you, unless you want to come to the Dallas area, to far?
What's in Dallas?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
He will direct my path!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post

Any guesses even?

TIA
If I was going to pick a new religion I'd go with the teachings of Ekneth Easwaran
http://www.easwaran.org/learn-how-to-meditate.html