Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Banned

Sermon on The Mount: instructional or Informative?

Jesus' Sermons on The Mount and Plain give concisely principled instructions for His Followers. Yet, the context of His remarks when spoken was to an audience of what most likely were exclusively Jews, although the Text does not directly say so. But, indicators in the Text do show only Jews were present. They all were served food by the Disciples, which would have not been done with Gentiles. The remarks of Jesus were all related to the Mosaic Law, of which Gentiles would have had no knowledge or interest.

So, what exactly does Jesus' Sermon on the Mount/Plain have to do with us today? If it is relevant, tell us how you follow all of Jesus' Commands in it. If you think it is only informational for the purposes of helping us to have a spiritual perspective, then tell us how you justify not following Jesus' Commands within it.

Either way, it cannot be ignored. God put it in Scripture for a clear and important purpose. If you claim to "know God" as a Follower, or even as an Apostle, you should have a clear and authoritative answer here to this very simple question.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Banned

Re: Sermon on The Mount: instructional or Informat

well, entire books are written on the question, so...

what exactly are you looking for? i doubt anyone here is going to say that following Christ's Word is optional, and telling you how i follow all of Jesus' commands in it would take pages, possibly.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Banned

It is applicable to all believers in Jesus.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
well, entire books are written on the question, so...

what exactly are you looking for? i doubt anyone here is going to say that following Christ's Word is optional, and telling you how i follow all of Jesus' commands in it would take pages, possibly.
Are you really able to speak for "anyone here?" It is not exactly wise to speculate on what "anyone" would be thinking, and then use that speculation as a basis for assessing the value and utility of Christ's recorded words. Lol.

Rather than trying to read in between the lines, it is best to read the lines themselves. The lines here say, "Is Christ's Sermon on the Mount of Instructional or Informational Purpose in His Church Today?" Do you see how these English comprehension skills can work for us? Or, is the Sermon on The Mount to be merely take note of, and then further chatty attention is to be placed on the simplistic and Unchristlike personal comments of Saul?

Maybe The Sermon on the Mount is too hot to handle for Milque Toast Pewsitters and Pundit Church Talkers. Even too hot for Professional Pulpit Babblers.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It is applicable to all believers in Jesus.
Tell us how it applies to yourself. Let your light shine according to Jesus' Command in Matthew 5:16.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoReba View Post
Are you really able to speak for "anyone here?" It is not exactly wise to speculate on what "anyone" would be thinking, and then use that speculation as a basis for assessing the value and utility of Christ's recorded words. Lol.

Rather than trying to read in between the lines, it is best to read the lines themselves. The lines here say, "Is Christ's Sermon on the Mount of Instructional or Informational Purpose in His Church Today?" Do you see how these English comprehension skills can work for us? Or, is the Sermon on The Mount to be merely take note of, and then further chatty attention is to be placed on the simplistic and Unchristlike personal comments of Saul?

Maybe The Sermon on the Mount is too hot to handle for Milque Toast Pewsitters and Pundit Church Talkers. Even too hot for Professional Pulpit Babblers.
Before you go off on people, might it not serve you well and please the Lord, to boot, to wonder if, and so ask first, if English might not be a poster's first language?

You went right to casual dismissal, condescending disdain, and judgmental scorn all in one shot. shazeep is not a native English speaker, by his own admission.

And you just brought out the pontificating beatstick to show your supposed superiority.

Is there no conviction these days to be "kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another..." (Ephesians 4:32)?

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 10-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Banned

thanks, but i just told EB that i was ESL because he was...posting in like fashion to this. I think it is astute enough to speculate that pretty much everyone on an OP forum considers the Beattitudes to be Holy Writ, and so i was just genuinely curious, JoReba, what kind of answer you sought. I suspected you might be Bert, a troll who is often banned from here, although i doubt that now.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

I believe it is the manifesto for the Kingdom of God in the entire New Testament, Jews and Gentiles in one body. I disagree it was for Jews and not gentiles.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I believe it is the manifesto for the Kingdom of God in the entire New Testament, Jews and Gentiles in one body. I disagree it was for Jews and not gentiles.
i think we even have Scripture saying that it was the other way around! Jews--who rejected it--first, leading to the times of the gentiles, or Church Age. Ok so i agree that it was meant for Jews, but it is gentiles who partake.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
i think we even have Scripture saying that it was the other way around! Jews--who rejected it--first, leading to the times of the gentiles, or Church Age. Ok so i agree that it was meant for Jews, but it is gentiles who partake.
I see the church period as Jews and Gentiles in one body, despite the fact most Jews rejected it at first. The church was only comprised of Jews for the first 3 years after the cross. And there were thousands and thousands of them. The times of the Gentiles is not the church period, but rather the time Gentiles took to tread down Jerusalem later in the first century. 42 months according to Rev 11. But the church is Jew and gentile in one body, certainly not a gentile church.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."