Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

No One Can Say Jesus Is Lord Except By Holy Spirit

This verse is interpreted in one of two ways. The traditional 3-step interpretation is, "Until you speak in tongues, you really aren't a Christian." The other interpretation is, "You cannot confess or declare Christ's Lordship over your life except by the Holy Spirit."

This is important because if the first interpretation is right, then speaking in tongues is essential for salvation. If the second is correct, then salvation occurs at faith rather than speaking in tongues. I had always heard the first interpretation and believed it for many years. I now see the second interpretation as the valid one. When you believe the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in you.

I John 4:13, 15: "We know that we live in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit...If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God."

The baptism in the Holy Spirit is a separate event from salvation, although it can happen at the same time.

When we see the believers in Acts 8 and Acts 19 filled with the Holy Spirit, we see that they were already believers before they received the HS. There was great joy in Samaria before they were baptized in the Holy Spirit. Now why would they be rejoicing if they were still yet not born again? Why would there be cause to rejoice if they weren't saved and had the Spirit of God dwelling in them?

Jesus said the baptism of the HS would empower the disciples to be witnesses. Paul said the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the "power of God". Jesus said that the HS would testify of Him. The purpose of the baptism of the HS is to empower the believer, already saved and a disciple of Jesus, to be the witness He has called them to be.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Re: No One Can Say Jesus Is Lord Except By Holy Sp

Hey.... that's interesting.

I'll have to do some reading.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

db,
I realize there are differences among Christians on the meaning of this verse.

Personally, I agree with the way you understand it --we cannot fully yield to Him except through the Holy Spirit. I would also opine that we cannot fully realize that Jesus is the LORD GOD except by the Holy Spirit.

The Amplified Bible says
Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking under the power and influence of the [Holy] Spirit of God can [ever] say, Jesus be cursed! And no one can [really] say, Jesus is [my] Lord, except by and under the power and influence of the Holy Spirit.

In the Murdock Version of the Peshitta this verse is translated
I therefore inform you, that there is no man, that speaketh by the Spirit of God, who saith that Jesus is accursed: neither can a man say that Jesus is the Lord, except by the Holy Spirit.

Gorge Lamsa's translation of the last portion of that verse says, "...no man can say that Jesus is the Lord but by the Holy Spirit."

The Etheridge translation says:
I therefore make known to you, that there is no man who by the Spirit of Aloha speaketh, and saith that Jeshu is accursed; and no man also can say that Jeshu is THE LORD unless by the Spirit of Holiness.

I remember reading somewhere that in the Aramaic in the phrase "Jesus is Lord" the term for Lord is "Mar YAH" or "Lord Yehowah"

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 02-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I received somewhat of a revelation on that passage. Jesus told Peter that the Father told Him His identity -- Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God. And this is reflected in Matt 7:21 where people know He is Lord. But Peter rejected -- INITIALLY -- the further revelation from the Son. Taking up the cross. This is why Matt 7 continues to say that Jesus never knew those who knew Him as Lord, since they did not hear HIS WORDS and DO THEM.

Anyway, one is blessed to know He is Lord. Only the Father can reveal that to us. But it is not enough. We must take up our crosses and deny ourselves. He only knows HIS SHEEP, and His sheep HEAR HIS VOICE (the Son's) and they FOLLOW HIM... take up their crosses.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."