Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

Do All Speak With Tongues?

What, in your opinion, does this statement imply from I Cor. 12:30? Get in small groups and discuss...

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Do All Speak With Tongues?

By itself I Cor 12:30 certainly implies all do not speak in tongues.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
What, in your opinion, does this statement imply from I Cor. 12:30? Get in small groups and discuss...
In reference to the charismata, no, everyone does not have the gift of tongues but everyone who receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit will speak with other tongues even if only that one time.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 09-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Here Paul insinuates all spoke in tongues.

1 Cor. 14:18

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Here again:

1 Cor. 14:23

14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post

Maybe he was talking to southern Corinth - - more than ya'll.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

In a congregational setting not all will speak in tongues.Paul was trying to get The Congregation In Corinth to use the gifts properly.One must read 1 COR.12,13,14 to see this.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
In reference to the charismata, no, everyone does not have the gift of tongues but everyone who receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit will speak with other tongues even if only that one time.
if you look at ephesians 2:8-9

Ephesians 2:8-9
New King James Version (NKJV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

that word gift which is the Gift of the Holy spirit, the promise of God is the word Charisma, its the same word used to represent the gifts of the Spirit.

also your statement is wrong, if a person speaks with tounges then they have the gift of tounges, and they will always have it.

they do not lose it
romans 11:29 For God's gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.

so if they speak in tounges at the baptism they will always be able to according to scripture. so we must accept what paul sais is true not all speak with tounges.

i also want to point out that Tounges is not the only sign given, mark 16;17 talks about other signs.

we also see soem prophesied, some spoke with boldness. tounges is a evidence of the spirit but not the only one

God Bless
Old 09-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post

I agree with Mizpeh. And chances are, if they continue on to know the LORD, they will speak in tongues again...and again..!

Falla39
Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post

Here again:

1 Cor. 14:23

14:23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
That would be a contradiction to I Cor 12 if what you say is true. Paul is speaking in generalities here obviously. He isn't saying all of the Christians in Corinth spoke in tongues, he is saying that he spoke in tongues more than all of them, that would include those that didn't speak in tongues at all. Secondly he again speaks in a general sense giving the hypothetical scenario that if everyone in the room spoke in tongues and an unbeliever was present that would be unprofitable.

His statement in I Cor. 12 is specifically clear: not everyone is a prophet, not every is an apostle, not everyone interprets and not everyone speaks in tongues.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:27 PM

If tongues is the only sign that the HG has been given, how do we answer the problem that Jesus presents? He full of the Spirit and never spoke in tongues. John the Baptist, Elizabeth and Zaccharias all were filled with the HG and didn't speak in tongues. Moses was filled with the Spirit of God as well as the 70 elders and they didn't. Did those people all get an exemption? Did they get a different infilling?