Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-01-2024, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Where exactly the UPCI got tithing from?

I'm looking into the Assemblies of God Statements of truth [1], and it is not mentioned there. I find out, otherwise, in the bylaws [2]

Parham came from the Methodists, and John Wesley didn't believe much in tithing and didn't put it in any fundamental faith.

So, Methodists -> Assemblies of God -> ...somewhere along the way, someone put it as a fundamental truth -> UPCI.

Perhaps when they went to the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, but I can't find the articles of faith of this organization.

Does anybody know where that began?

[1] https://ag.org/-/media/AGORG/Beliefs...tal-Truths.pdf
[2] https://ag.org/-/media/AGORG/Downloa...and-Bylaws.pdf
"The entirety of Your word is truth" (Ps 119:160)

Bible Study Notes
https://apostolicbiblestudynotes.wordpress.com
Old 01-01-2024, 05:06 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Where exactly the UPCI got tithing from?

Good article on tithing

https://www.britannica.com/topic/tithe
Old 01-03-2024, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
I'm looking into the Assemblies of God Statements of truth [1], and it is not mentioned there. I find out, otherwise, in the bylaws [2]

Parham came from the Methodists, and John Wesley didn't believe much in tithing and didn't put it in any fundamental faith.

So, Methodists -> Assemblies of God -> ...somewhere along the way, someone put it as a fundamental truth -> UPCI.

Perhaps when they went to the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, but I can't find the articles of faith of this organization.

Does anybody know where that began?

[1] https://ag.org/-/media/AGORG/Beliefs...tal-Truths.pdf
[2] https://ag.org/-/media/AGORG/Downloa...and-Bylaws.pdf
Oh brother! You are such a troublemaker!

I’ll give you the answer, at least what I believe the answer to be. Give me a little time.

Meanwhile?

Research those evil trinitarians (AOG) because they are the purveyors of this false doctrine. (Sarcasm alert).

Otherwise?

It’s important to understand that the doctrine is evolving. (Kind of like TDJ’s doctrine on homosexuality). It has been changing for about two thousand years. And it is still changing.

Meanwhile?

The KJV is remarkably consistent.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Great post. And true.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:25 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

I have a question, where exactly did the UPCI get tithing from?
Old 01-04-2024, 08:37 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I have a question, where exactly did the UPCI get tithing from?

And me not able to eat popcorn....shame. 😅
Old 01-05-2024, 11:52 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
And me not able to eat popcorn....shame. 😅
No popcorn for this.

Just wondering why no one looked to answer the original question which is in the title of the thread. I would be interested to hear something different. Where did the doctrine begin? Like the whole Yahweh/Yashua name groups. The church was cool with using JESUS as His name. Then very late in history the Hebrew root groups popped up. When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was interesting to see what all three of us thought.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Brother Coksiw,

Tithing belief of the AOG is contained under Section 7 of the second link that you posted. It is VERY similar to the UPCI tithing found in the articles of faith of the UPCI. The AOG seem to have tempered their stance on tithing over the years, however the tithe is built into the structure of their organization much like the UPCI has built it into theirs. (Or, to be clear, the UPCI has built theirs like the AOG built theirs, because obviously the AOG organized first).

The UPCI is the product of the merge of two oneness organizations in 1945. But they split off from the AOG because of what was known at the time as the “New Issue” which was the revelation of the oneness of God as opposed to the trinitarian beliefs of the AOG.

Originally, the bylaws were incredibly similar if my memory serves me. I wish I could do a side by side comparison of the doctrines but I’m unable to find anything that is from the 1940’s that states the doctrine of tithing from the AOG.

If you look closely you will see references to sharing the tithe and offering with the higher ranks of the organization that is too similar to the UPCI to be coincidence.

So I’m fairly certain that the UPCI plagiarized from the AOG in much of their organizational papers.

The tithe doctrine specifically was pretty much copied and pasted from the UPCI to the other organizations that split off from them, so the trend has continued.

For instance:

TITHING

We believe tithing is God’s financial plan to provide for His work, and has been since the days of Abraham. Tithing came with faith under Abraham, Moses’ law enjoined it, and Israel practiced it when she was right with God; Jesus indorsed it (Matt. 23:23); and Paul said to lay by in store as God has prospered you. Do not rob God of His portion, viz., tithes and offerings.

Above is the UPCI doctrine on tithing.

Below is the ALJC doctrine.

We believe tithing is God’s financial plan to provide for His work, and has been since the days of Abraham. Tithing came with faith under Abraham, Moses’ law enjoined it, Israel practiced it when she was right with God, Jesus endorsed it (Matthew 23:23), and Paul said to lay by in store as God has prospered you. Do not rob God of His portion, that is tithes and offerings (Read Malachi 3).

There is obviously some copying and pasting going on relative to the doctrine of tithing. The proof is in the word financial. Tithing in the Bible was never financial it was food. So we have an example of the blind being blindly followed in this doctrine. Interesting how the splits occurred allegedly because of false doctrine but this false doctrine was never examined and corrected in the process.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

There should be a thread about, “where did the UPCI, WPF, ALJC, AMF…..” get a lot of their standards, and bylaws from.

For example,

Where did the ________ get….
-Tithing
-Membership dues
-Conferences that charge admission
-Rapture doctrine
-Ministry Retirement Accounts
-Theatre Plays that Charge Admission
-Membership Insurance Plans
-First Lady

Several just want to focus on tithing because it has to deal with individual pockets. However, there is a list of things that organizations, religious no less, require to either benefit the local leadership, or the organization as a whole. I mean there is one organization that I know that you cannot join unless you pay a membership due each month. You also HAVE to sign a statement of faith that you believe in the 2nd coming of Christ.

I mean it could all change, look how it changed from the 80’s, 90’s and even the early 00’s many preachers were against TV’s, now almost all of us have one, yet we call it a phone. Many of us were against Televangelist’s, now many preachers, conferences, have become what they used to stand against.

Give it a couple years, maybe tithing will change. And we’ll all go back to bringing food to the storehouse. That may be needed more than Monopoly money.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:07 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
There should be a thread about, “where did the UPCI, WPF, ALJC, AMF…..” get a lot of their standards, and bylaws from.

For example,

Where did the ________ get….
-Tithing
-Membership dues
-Conferences that charge admission
-Rapture doctrine
-Ministry Retirement Accounts
-Theatre Plays that Charge Admission
-Membership Insurance Plans
-First Lady

Several just want to focus on tithing because it has to deal with individual pockets. However, there is a list of things that organizations, religious no less, require to either benefit the local leadership, or the organization as a whole. I mean there is one organization that I know that you cannot join unless you pay a membership due each month. You also HAVE to sign a statement of faith that you believe in the 2nd coming of Christ.

I mean it could all change, look how it changed from the 80’s, 90’s and even the early 00’s many preachers were against TV’s, now almost all of us have one, yet we call it a phone. Many of us were against Televangelist’s, now many preachers, conferences, have become what they used to stand against.

Give it a couple years, maybe tithing will change. And we’ll all go back to bringing food to the storehouse. That may be needed more than Monopoly money.
Good point