Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Lets just talk...

Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

Doesn’t anyone just want to talk anymore? Why do we have to DISCUSS everything? Why can’t we just talk anymore?

Whats the difference?, some may ask.

TALK: (noun) the act of talking; speech; conversation, esp. of a familiar or informal kind.

DISCUSS: to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.; talk over or write about, esp. to explore solutions; debate

The difference is that in discussing, it seems its always to achieve an end result. But it rarely ever does. It usually ends up as a disagreement or a debate over some issue. In talking… there is no end result, except to share… to fellowship. Talking is to simply converse. Seems like, in these harried times, talking is on the way out. We DISCUSS. We have board meeting to DISCUSS. We have conferences to DISCUSS. Its all about “examining by argument”. Its all about “exploring solutions”. Its all about “debate“.

Not that those things are bad things. They are necessary when a solution is called for or when a point needs to be made. But, when is the last time that we have just stopped to talk about whats really important: the goodness of our Lord? When have we stopped to talk about an inspiring story, or an event that left us in awe at God’s greatness and power.?

I think about the two walking on the road to Emmaus. Luk 24:14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened. Wouldn’t you love to be know what they were talking about? I can’t prove it, but, I’d guess they were just talking, and not discussing, the events of the past few days. I like to think they were talking about the great sacrifice their Lord willingly made to redeem the souls of mankind. No, I can’t prove what the content of their conversation was, but I can venture to say it wasn’t an argument… it wasn’t a debate… because Jesus was right there with them! I’d venture to say they were speaking “the truth in love”. Their conversation was, without a doubt, a holy conversation… no malice, no libel…no deceit…. just like the Bible tells us ours should be. I think they just talked.

When is the last time we just talked?

Paul tells us how we should think: Phl 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. If that is how we should think, shouldn’t our talking match our thinking? Shouldn’t we be giving praise? Speaking honestly? Giving good reports? Shouldn’t our speech be pure of malice and ill will? Not idle or foolish talk, but talk that inspires, talk that edifies, talk that just makes us love the Lord (and each other) a little bit more. Does the Lord listen when we talk to oneanother and does He remember what we say? Shouldn’t the Lord feel welcome to enter our conversation?

So, lets talk. About a spiritual experience. About God’s goodness. About our excitement in knowing the Lord. About our expectation for His soon coming. Lets just talk. Who knows, He just meet us there… as we are talking… on the road to Emmaus.

Jhn 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Philippians 4

Great Post OA. You seem to be a very wise man.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Huh.... appearances can be decieving. A man, yes... but wise? I think not. But thank you anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
Great Post OA. You seem to be a very wise man.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
Huh.... appearances can be decieving. A man, yes... but wise? I think not. But thank you anyway.
I've read some of your posts and I think I can make an educated guess on this one. I also know that in all you are going thru right now, in the end you will be wiser still.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

A REAL wise man once wrote: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecc 3:1

I've always read that wrong. It doesn't say there is a purpose for everything. It says there is a TIME for every PURPOSE.
I don't know if there is a purpose for everything or not. And I can't see down this road we are travelling. But, if I am a better person because of all of this... or if someone is helped along the way... then, yes... I guess there is a purpose for it all. And for that, we are thankful.

And BTW...we followed your advice. We are donors!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Philippians 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
A REAL wise man once wrote: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: Ecc 3:1

I've always read that wrong. It doesn't say there is a purpose for everything. It says there is a TIME for every PURPOSE.
I don't know if there is a purpose for everything or not. And I can't see down this road we are travelling. But, if I am a better person because of all of this... or if someone is helped along the way... then, yes... I guess there is a purpose for it all. And for that, we are thankful.

And BTW...we followed your advice. We are donors!
AWWWW! OA that means so much to me. It really does. Its such a simple thing to do, but it can mean life for someone else. People just need to take the time and do it, and make sure their loved ones know their wishes.

myspace.com/darciemarti
Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Yeah, well... this old organ has just been sittin' around gatherin' dust. Just seemed like the right thing to do. Got a piano, too.

Kiddin. Got to keep a sense of humor! (And you called me wise....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
AWWWW! OA that means so much to me. It really does. Its such a simple thing to do, but it can mean life for someone else. People just need to take the time and do it, and make sure their loved ones know their wishes.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Good post.
From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. What we think gets into the heart and the heart directs what is there in large quantity out of the mouth and into our actions.

I wonder if we'd think more, using Phil4:8 as a true guideline, then we'd have more loving flowing out in our speech?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln