Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I need a Triple Espresso, NOW!

Re: Do u allow Running,Shouting,Dancing in your ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
I believe in Balance.
Me too! That is why I balance myself on the backs of the pews while I run!!!!

Just teasing!

I love praising God!
Psalm 150
1Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

This is where I find scripture for all I do in the house of the Lord... As for the shouting, when I get so full of joy, sometimes I do want to shout "Hallelujah" with everything that is within me.

I am not going to condemn anyone by how they worship or praise God. IF they are doing it for show, that is between them and God...Not my business.... But if someone gets all excited about being set free from the chains of this world, I don't mind stepping aside while they dance, shout, run or do the robot....LOL If it helps them make it through a trial, who cares....and if they find strength to make it another day, go for it! Why would I want to stop someone from expressing themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never met a chocolate I didn't like!

*sigh* I did nothing yesterday.... I wasn't finished so I did nothing again today!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I am going to make a confession.

I have never felt good about uncontrolled "flippin out" EVEN WHEN I WAS A PARTICIPANT.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me Ps 50:23
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I never said there was anything "wrong" with "shouting". I said it was not part of the New Testament church and therefore should not be considered something essential to Christianity.

There are people on AFF who literally believe that if you don't "shout" with abandon you cannot be right with God. I am not making this up. They stated that before in posts on this subject.

I am also saying that the type and style of this emotional response to the presence of the Holy Spirit is a learned behaviour. It is part of old time Pentecostal culture. It also is many times more as a physical response to music than some kind of uncontrollable loss of control of ones body as they are overpowerd by the Holy Spirit.

I believe we are emotional creatures and should react with emotion to the awesome presence of God. However there should be no pressure for that emotional response to include wild behaviour that is simply Pentecostal culture and not Biblical.

Many Pentecostals act like shouting is an integral part of ones walk with God and if someone doesn't engage in it they are not right with God. That is when it is wrong.
AMEN!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Sounds similar to some Pentecostal groups who disfellowship over non essential doctrines.
Yup. My youngest son went to a COC University his freshman year. It was a first class campus with state of the art multimedia in conference rooms and everything else you could imagine as a modern college on a beautiful Ivy League type campus - except of course no musical instruments in their Chapel or any other kind of "service".

I thought to myself they are caught up in the same circular logic that old time Pentecostals get caught up in trying to justify "holiness" positoins taken by uneducated men misapplying scripture 60 years ago.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me Ps 50:23
Praise is not shouting. I hope you don't think the Psamist had it in mind when he wrote that. If so you have no concept of the historical context this was written in and are falling into the trap of assuming something spoken of means what you want it to.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Live like it.

Quote:
Many Pentecostals act like shouting is an integral part of ones walk with God and if someone doesn't engage in it they are not right with God. That is when it is wrong.

I think the word "some" is a much better fit.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
My Countdown Counting down to: Spring...
April Showers Bring May Flowers!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I agree with you about it being wrong to say someone is not right with God if they don't shout BUT I don't believe you can definitively say the NT believers didn't shout. Jewish worship in the psalms included shouting and clapping and making a loud noise and playing on musical instruments. All of the early church were Jews starting out. We are given absolutely no indication that they changed their style of worship after the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
I think the word "some" is a much better fit.
Ya gotta hope so!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Praise is not shouting. I hope you don't think the Psamist had it in mind when he wrote that. If so you have no concept of the historical context this was written in and are falling into the trap of assuming something spoken of means what you want it to.
How does the Bible define praise, CC1?