Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: You not preaching holiness till you've named i

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
With your interpretion of scripture I guess since God commanded Isaiah to walk naked then we cannot preach against modesty literally. We must only be modest in out hearts.
If you quoted the whole thing you would see he used a shameful thing to show a shameful fulfillment. So, again, doesn't work. You need a shameful thing to show a godly thing to make your position work.
Isa 20:2-3....At the same time spake the LORD by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins, and put off thy shoe from thy foot. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot. ..(3)....And the LORD said, Like as my servant Isaiah hath walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and wonder upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia;
Isa 20:4....So shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptians prisoners, and the Ethiopians captives, young and old, naked and barefoot, even with their buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does God want us to wear Jewelry?

Many may would say that he doesn't care, but it is a matter of the heart. If God didn't care about adorning with jewelry than why would he adorn Israel with Jewelry. It seems to me that, if God desired Israel to be adorned with jewelry to show his love, then he would want us to be adorned as well. Thus God wants us to wear jewelry to show his blessings.

IMO, God was not literally adorning Israel with jewels, but instead was figuratively demonstrating his hand of blessing upon them. Jewels, whether worn or possessed, were a sign of prosperity and to be God's blessings. Thank God we no longer walk in darkness, but we now realize that the treasures we should lay up are in heaven and not on earth.

The argument is being made that moderation is the key and the condition of a person's heart. The outward adorning of a person often reveals the heart of a person. I am not saying it is the only indicator, but it is an indicator. Who determines how much is moderate? I teach against drinking alcohol, although the scripture only forbids drunkenness. I may be wrong, but I don't think people will go hell for not drinking. I would rather abstain from drugs and alcohol than be brought under it's control. Jewelry is also can take hold on people's lives. That maybe comical to some, but they may also realize one day that their prosperity became their curse. We cannot serve God and Mammon.

I am probably not going to stand behind the pulpit and come crashing down on jewelry in our church, but I am going to teach about it. I too feel it is a matter of the heart and unless peoples take care of the heart we are wasting time just hounding about rules. There are much bigger fish to fry, but I still would not want to stand on the side of advocating adorning ourselves with jewelry.

The jewels referenced in the old testament where only used by God as shadows and illustration. We cannot look back in the old testament and say, "God let the children do it". We live in a better covenant. We can go round and round the mulberry bush about 1 Peter 3:3. I take it at face value and the references to jewels in OT doesn't compromise that for me. Although, I do think there are much bigger fish to fry.
Once again.... God does not use sinful things to show a godly thing. Just admit it. Your concept here fails. Nothing wrong with that. I was in the same boat. I was wrong.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Acts 2:38 Wowii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
So would it be beautiful to use a homosexual relationship and illustrate God's love for the church?
I think the issue IZ we as humans try to justify and recycle what God has put out and drawn a line in scripture wheather by line or precept. Like you are doing. Homosexuality has never been exceptible, why are you defending them, what is this obsession of your to compare this ungodly deed?! Homosexuality has never been exceptible, God has been working with man to overcome and reach further forward not backward. Your saying it was right then do it must be right now, I say it was a proven snare to Gods people and now is unexcepable. The Old Testament is full of types and shadows of things to come. The Achilles' heel Of Prederism.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Acts 2:38 Wowii!

Ever read this?!? Wowii

1Corinthians 10:11
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

You are correct Isaiah's nakedness was to show Israel's shame. Just like Israel's adornment of Jewel's was to show Israel's God's blessing. It seems at least now you are acknowledging that it is symbolic and not literal.

If God adorns in jewels doesn't mean he advocates jewelry.

If God commands to walk naked doesn't mean he advocates walking naked.

Both these things are symbolic.

Neither of these illustrations have anything to with God advocating them, but instead are figurative of the condition of Israel at that time. In other words these passages have nothing to do with 1 Peter 3:3.

Quote:
1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
These scriptures mean exactly what they say.

Like you said though, why even bother?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Just an interesting thought: streets of gold and gates of pearl. Standards won't work in heaven.

Last edited by LOVE JESUS; 09-05-2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: possible couldn't be changed with all the quotes.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

ElderBarrel had made another excellent post and the forum liberals take 8 pages to debate one small portion of the original post while totally ignoring the heart of the matter. Figures...
Old 09-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

How about the queers tickling the ivories in many churches. Any comments?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
How about the queers tickling the ivories in many churches. Any comments?
No queers tickling the ivories at our church. My wife plays the piano. lol.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You are correct Isaiah's nakedness was to show Israel's shame. Just like Israel's adornment of Jewel's was to show Israel's God's blessing. It seems at least now you are acknowledging that it is symbolic and not literal.
Who said it was not a figurative picture? But the fact remains God does not use sinful figures to show godly realities.

Quote:
If God adorns in jewels doesn't mean he advocates jewelry.
What?!

Quote:
If God commands to walk naked doesn't mean he advocates walking naked.
You admitted the truth and then...

Shame points to shame, but sin doesn't point to godliness.

Quote:
Both these things are symbolic.
But a sinful symbol is not going to illustrate a godly reality.

Quote:
Neither of these illustrations have anything to with God advocating them, but instead are figurative of the condition of Israel at that time. In other words these passages have nothing to do with 1 Peter 3:3.
Actually I think it shows you misunderstood 1 Peter 3:3.

Quote:
These scriptures mean exactly what they say.

Like you said though, why even bother?
They do mean what they say. But what they say is often misunderstood.

Last edited by mfblume; 09-05-2016 at 09:04 PM.