Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Re: IF God is Love...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphaxad View Post
He chose a tax collector also, and a zealot.

HE chose twelve and said one was a devil!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
That's not a command

The word means to "leave" or "Go away from"...
Mat 19:29 And whoever has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.
The Apostles did that when they became Missionaries for Jesus, not just traveling with him but going out and preaching to other people
I didn't say it was a command.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
In fact, you must love your family so much less than you love God, you may have to forsake them. And if you do, you will be rewarded. Or is that hyperbole, too?

So, in general, when you have two contradicting scriptures, how do you, Prax, decide which one to call hyperbole?
Quote:
I didn't say it was a command.
First of all I don't see how you merge two scriptures together to get you must have your family and if so you may have to forsake them,

Second you didn't address the point I raised about what it means to leave

Third, they aren't contradictory.

Hyperbole is self defined.

What makes you think

Mat 19:29 And whoever has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Is a hyperbole since it's not putting a demand, thus my point about a command, on people?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
First of all I don't see how you merge two scriptures together to get you must have your family and if so you may have to forsake them,
You don't see how loving your family less than you love God may be a factor in having to leave (forsake) them? Never mind, then.
Quote:
Second you didn't address the point I raised about what it means to leave
OK, it can mean leave. Fine.

Quote:
Third, they aren't contradictory.
The contradiction is was alluding to is the same one you did. That you are told to hate your family, and yet you must love them. You said hate must be hyperbole. I asked how you decide which of two contradicting scriptures is hyperbole. You haven't answered that.

Quote:
Hyperbole is self defined.
What?

Quote:

What makes you think

Is a hyperbole since it's not putting a demand, thus my point about a command, on people?
I didn't say it was hyperbole. And all I said was you may have to forsake your family, and if you did, you would be rewarded.

Also consider Matthew 10:34-37:
34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Edit: Oh, I said you may have to forsake your family. That's why you thought I thought it was a command. Not exactly. I had in mind a situation where you are given a choice: it's either Jesus or your family. Maybe they are unbelievers and they demand that you forsake your faith, or something. In a situation like that, would it not be accurate to say you "have to" leave them?

Why am I not surprised?

Last edited by Timmy; 09-11-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
You don't see how loving your family less than you love God may be a factor in having to leave (forsake) them? Never mind, then.
I repeat, the bible does not say that. You are confusing two different verses

Quote:
OK, it can mean leave. Fine.
That's what it means

Quote:
The contradiction is was alluding to is the same one you did. That you are told to hate your family, and yet you must love them.
And leaving family is not hating them nor loving them. People leave their families all the time for various reasons like a job or getting married to someone in another location. Evangelists leave their families all the time to go preach

Quote:
You said hate must be hyperbole. I asked how you decide which of two contradicting scriptures is hyperbole. You haven't answered that.
No I said Jesus was using a hyperbole at that time. A Hyperbole is a literary Rhetorical device to make a point.

I can't answer because I did not SEE any contradicting scriptures. I asked you about that but you haven't answered

Quote:
What?
Hmmm?

Quote:
I didn't say it was hyperbole. And all I said was you may have to forsake your family, and if you did, you would be rewarded.
The bible does NOT say you may have to forsake you family. Once again you are asking me to comment on a verse you claim is contradictory that just does not exist

Quote:
Also consider Matthew 10:34-37:
One issue at a time

Quote:
Edit: Oh, I said you may have to forsake your family. That's why you thought I thought it was a command. Not exactly. I had in mind a situation where you are given a choice: it's either Jesus or your family. Maybe they are unbelievers and they demand that you forsake your faith, or something. In a situation like that, would it not be accurate to say you "have to" leave them?
You are taking a hypothetical situation and insisting its a verse and I needed to determine if that verse was a hyperbole...the words of Timmy? You tell us, where you speaking hyperbolically? Do we have other words of Timmy to compare it too?

Let me know when you find that "contradiction" in the bible then we can discuss it

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
I repeat, the bible does not say that. You are confusing two different verses

That's what it means

And leaving family is not hating them nor loving them. People leave their families all the time for various reasons like a job or getting married to someone in another location. Evangelists leave their families all the time to go preach

No I said Jesus was using a hyperbole at that time. A Hyperbole is a literary Rhetorical device to make a point.

I can't answer because I did not SEE any contradicting scriptures. I asked you about that but you haven't answered

Hmmm?

The bible does NOT say you may have to forsake you family. Once again you are asking me to comment on a verse you claim is contradictory that just does not exist

One issue at a time

You are taking a hypothetical situation and insisting its a verse and I needed to determine if that verse was a hyperbole...the words of Timmy? You tell us, where you speaking hyperbolically? Do we have other words of Timmy to compare it too?

Let me know when you find that "contradiction" in the bible then we can discuss it
Never mind.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

I agree.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
which is just a matter of degrees, so then God has degrees of love?

are you ok with God loving you less then me?

Or how about if you were a twin in your Mother's womb and God decided he liked you less and that all your decendents were going to be lost?
Malachi 3:18
Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Malachi 3:18
Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.
By quoting this scripture, are you saying that God loves people who serve him more than people who don't? Is that your answer to the question you quoted?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
By quoting this scripture, are you saying that God loves people who serve him more than people who don't? Is that your answer to the question you quoted?
heh...