Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Saved & Shaved

Re: Offended by the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
I am less offended by the world, than the attitudes of some Christians.
You should start cussing and be relevant...
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
I am glad you are paying attention.....and you are right...no one wants their daughters dressing that way....but that seems to be the fashion now a days....very lowcut blouses, revealing clothes, heavy makeup...etc....looking like ladies of the night.
You see them from nearly toddlers on up.

It is a shame....but if I extrapolate on your view I would begin think that to reach the world they would have to dress that way to "relate"....and that is what is happening already amongst the charismatic, emergent, and liberal OP's....think Todd Bentley....look at so many of the "Christian" bands....they have taken on the extreme...sometimes almost demonic affectations of their secular counterparts.

Is this really reaching the world for Christ?

Yes Jesus ate with sinners and publicans...but he did not share in their sin.
He showed mercy to adulterers and thieves...but He never condoned their actions.

So many today in their desire to become relevant have so weakened and devalued their Christian testimony that it is almost non existent.

I am sure you think I am talking about all the "clothesline" standards that you so enjoy demeaning....but that is a small part of the equation....real Christians do not partake in the filth of this world.
You can justify all kinds of things....but the filthiness of the flesh is still the filthiness of the flesh.
I really do not see your point. You judge Christianity but what individuals wear that is all one can conclude from your above post. You seem to assume two things rather regularly that one must partake of sin to be relevant to culture and your definition of sin seems to be anything you don't like. I still don't know what TB has to do with your point.

Quote:
You have no business making the insinuation you just made...i am simply using that example to show the extreme we can go to if we are not careful.

Your little slam at me there makes me sick.
Insinuation?

I do find it odd that you seem to immediately run to that example even when others are not even speaking of clothes. No I don't think a 1900 dress code is necessary or even desirable, and yet my 13 year old doesn't dress like either one, nor does she look like every other upc-jeanskirt-wearing-clone.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
Did you use the video as well?
No video Pel, actually created a pp that went with it. Is there a way to post pp on here?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
You should start cussing and be relevant...
Relevant to whom?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
No such insinuation...simply using that as an example to show what extremes this line of thinking this sort can lead too.
However he took that opportunity to try to cast aspersions on my moral character....it is disgusting when that happens.

I have ran into this stupidity before...you speak against something and they accuse you of having secret desires for that very thing.
It is a shallow and asinine person that uses character assassination to try to win arguments.
No it is not a leap at all there is actually a term for that, which escapes me at the moment. Not hypocrisy a clinical term people often do this to cover their own shortcomings. I will think of it later.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
You are correct...i may have went some what over the line in the way i phrased that when I said that maybe he would think I should dress my daughters that way to be relevant....however he proceeded to de facto accuse me of having inordinate thoughts toward my children....a lot of difference
Quote:
Okaaay...I will publicly apologize to Baron...I certainly did not mean that he or his dress that way, nor that he wished that my daughters would do so.
Sorry that it sounded that way...certainly did not mean offense by it....just making a point.
I am not interested in an apology. I was not offended in the least. The point wasn't so much that you have a secret desire to dress your daughters like streetwalkers but that your mind always seems to run to the way women are dressed. You make all kinds of comments about another pastors wife's pictures. If that's a common occurrence on your part and I point it out and then you feign offense well whatever.

So for you to tell me I owe you an apology is laughable.

Last edited by Baron1710; 11-05-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
Would a youth pastor be able to effectively use the song "Slave 4 U" by Britney Spears in a youth service?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzybwwf2HoQ
Quote:
Well I guess it wouldn't surprise you to know that is exactly the song we used two weeks ago.
Quote:
I was talking about our church, specifically my wife, using the song Slave 4 U by Britney Spears in the youth service two weeks ago.
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! You can't just drop this stuff and use it WITHOUT PROPER CONTEXT, Senior Esquire!!
I was specifically talking to the kids about how Britney did become a slave for her managers, handlers, fans, and the media in general. All they did was use her and exploit her to their advantage and then stand back and laugh when she fell apart, effectively making her their slave in her descent as well.

I was talking to the kids about how the world wants them, their innocence and their purity (See Ron Luce's book 'Recreate'). They must make a conscious choice not to give everything away in order to 'fit in'. I explained that lust is all about 'what I can get', but love is about 'what can I give'. Christ is the truest form of love, what we take to the Cross is always traded for more, as our pastor commonly says, the Cross is a "plus" sign, never a minus.

I guess, Oh mighty Baron I could just throw out there that it was because of you that I fell 14,000 feet (true story). Thankfully, I lived

"You will be hated for my sake-Just remember that it should be for MY sake and not YOURS-
Do NOT act in such a way as to be offensive, and then blame it on me"

Love, God
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Saved & Shaved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro31:28 View Post
WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! You can't just drop this stuff and use it WITHOUT PROPER CONTEXT, Senior Esquire!!
I was specifically talking to the kids about how Britney did become a slave for her managers, handlers, fans, and the media in general. All they did was use her and exploit her to their advantage and then stand back and laugh when she fell apart, effectively making her their slave in her descent as well.

I was talking to the kids about how the world wants them, their innocence and their purity (See Ron Luce's book 'Recreate'). They must make a conscious choice not to give everything away in order to 'fit in'. I explained that lust is all about 'what I can get', but love is about 'what can I give'. Christ is the truest form of love, what we take to the Cross is always traded for more, as our pastor commonly says, the Cross is a "plus" sign, never a minus.

I guess, Oh mighty Baron I could just throw out there that it was because of you that I fell 14,000 feet (true story). Thankfully, I lived
You're the wife?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 11-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV