Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
My Family!

Re: Holy Ghost 101: Bernard, Godwin, Borat, Kinzie

Wow - - I think they have a point here:

"Other targets are not so fair, as when Borat interrupts a Pentecostal service, just as the sacred gift of tongues is descending on them. Truly this film is the sin against the Holy Ghost. It also reveals just how cowardly the film makers are. They would not have dared to film and ridicule Kazakh Muslims in prayer with their foreheads on the ground and their arses in the air, because it would have led to violence and even murder, not by the Kazakhs themselves, who are far from being fanatics, but by Arabs, Somalis, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, all willing to kill to avenge a slight to the honour of the Prophet. They would probably also have used Baron Cohen's Jewishness as an excuse for some anti-Semitic outrage. They are like that.

The Pentecostals by contrast are peaceable folk, many of them are even pacifists, a doctrine unique to Protestants and Hindus. Have you ever heard of a Muslim pacifist? Or come to that of a Roman Catholic or Greek or Russian Orthodox one? No, the cowardly film makers stick to soft targets. They would not have dared to interrupt a Roman Catholic service at the moment of the elevation of what people like them call the magic biscuit. The Roman Catholic church is a powerful corporation that can exercise great censorship (look what happened in Britain to the TV series Popetown. Twentieth Century Fox would never have been willing to stand up to all the boycotts and picketing that would have ensued. Hollywood has never escaped from the stranglehold of the heirs of the Catholic Legion of Decency. So the cowardly bas*** stick to the Pentecostals; they are a humble and powerless people whom it is safe to kick."

http://www.socialaffairsunit.org.uk/...ves/001388.php
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post
My advice is never to rent it and watch it. You'll never get the wrestling scene completely out of your mind.

There's a wrassling scene? Borat takes on the WWE?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post

"Other targets are not so fair, as when Borat interrupts a Pentecostal service, just as the sacred gift of tongues is descending on them. Truly this film is the sin against the Holy Ghost. It also reveals just how cowardly the film makers are. They would not have dared to film and ridicule Kazakh Muslims in prayer with their foreheads on the ground and their arses in the air, because it would have led to violence and even murder, not by the Kazakhs themselves, who are far from being fanatics, but by Arabs, Somalis, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, all willing to kill to avenge a slight to the honour of the Prophet. They would probably also have used Baron Cohen's Jewishness as an excuse for some anti-Semitic outrage. They are like that.

The Pentecostals by contrast are peaceable folk, many of them are even pacifists, a doctrine unique to Protestants and Hindus. Have you ever heard of a Muslim pacifist? Or come to that of a Roman Catholic or Greek or Russian Orthodox one? No, the cowardly film makers stick to soft targets. They would not have dared to interrupt a Roman Catholic service at the moment of the elevation of what people like them call the magic biscuit. The Roman Catholic church is a powerful corporation that can exercise great censorship (look what happened in Britain to the TV series Popetown. Twentieth Century Fox would never have been willing to stand up to all the boycotts and picketing that would have ensued. Hollywood has never escaped from the stranglehold of the heirs of the Catholic Legion of Decency. So the cowardly bas*** stick to the Pentecostals; they are a humble and powerless people whom it is safe to kick."

I don't think ignorance can always be called blasphemous. If the film makers knew which group to target, the Pentecostals because they are humble people, in order to pull of their film, that doesn't mean they are cowardly. It just means they were smart in their carnality. And doesn't the part about being more humble and powerless (not in the sense of powerless with God) speak for why they didn't question Borat's motives, sincerely believing that God can do anything? I believe He can do anything, even if someone tries to scam me.

All it means, for me, is that Borat and the filmmakers are ignorant of the truth pertaining to God and have a bad impression of Christianity. I can see that they would, so did Saul.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt - carnal and not, necessarily, blasphemous.

How many people have we been around that make fun of how someone worships? We've read about it on this forum. Same thing, IMO. Borat is copying what he has seen just like others, in church, have done. Is that also blasphemy?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:37 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I don't think ignorance can always be called blasphemous. If the film makers knew which group to target, the Pentecostals because they are humble people, in order to pull of their film, that doesn't mean they are cowardly. It just means they were smart in their carnality. And doesn't the part about being more humble and powerless (not in the sense of powerless with God) speak for why they didn't question Borat's motives, sincerely believing that God can do anything? I believe He can do anything, even if someone tries to scam me.

All it means, for me, is that Borat and the filmmakers are ignorant of the truth pertaining to God and have a bad impression of Christianity. I can see that they would, so did Saul.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt - carnal and not, necessarily, blasphemous.

How many people have we been around that make fun of how someone worships? We've read about it on this forum. Same thing, IMO. Borat is copying what he has seen just like others, in church, have done. Is that also blasphemy?
Guess it just depends on how you define blasphemy.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Guess it just depends on how you define blasphemy.
I agree. So, I think blasphemy is evil speaking, railing or vilification (impious toward God).

I just think that you can't be ignorant of what you are doing, you have to willing know you are against it. That is why I use Saul in this case. He believed so much in the Jewish faith, he hated the Christians.

Not so sure I would call Borat's actions blasphemy. Ignorance maybe, especially, since they are saying he is Jewish, who probably wouldn't even check to see if he were wrong about the Christian faith he came to film.

Saul wouldn't have stopped unless God had stopped him. And I think God only stopped him because he knew that, in his heart, he would give his very life for truth, which he did.

Hopefully, somewhere down the line, God will also get a hold of Borat. Maybe he will put out a better film. LOL!
Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:

Not blasphemy, but these are some great points.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves

Last edited by Hoovie; 06-14-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
I agree. So, I think blasphemy is evil speaking, railing or vilification (impious toward God).

I just think that you can't be ignorant of what you are doing, you have to willing know you are against it. That is why I use Saul in this case. He believed so much in the Jewish faith, he hated the Christians.

Not so sure I would call Borat's actions blasphemy. Ignorance maybe, especially, since they are saying he is Jewish, who probably wouldn't even check to see if he were wrong about the Christian faith he came to film.

Saul wouldn't have stopped unless God had stopped him. And I think God only stopped him because he knew that, in his heart, he would give his very life for truth, which he did.

Hopefully, somewhere down the line, God will also get a hold of Borat. Maybe he will put out a better film. LOL!

I think blasphemy is a "condition" of sorts - which if one continues to exist in they have no hope. the condition could also be called faithlessness or unbelief.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 06-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
I think blasphemy is a "condition" of sorts - which if one continues to exist in they have no hope. the condition could also be called faithlessness or unbelief.
I agree. So, you are defining that as a reprobate?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree. So, you are defining that as a reprobate?
Don't you have to be a believer and then backslid before you can become reprobate?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 06-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Don't you have to be a believer and then backslid before you can become reprobate?
When I was a child I remember a woman in the neighborhood saying that we children weren't anything but a pack of reprobates.