Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:08 AM
delete account

Quote:
Dear Rhoni,

My wife just had our first child approimately six months ago. Since the baby has been here I can't understand why she doesn't keep the house clean, have supper ready, and when I walk through the door after working all day...she hands me the baby and tells me it is my turn. What does she do all day? I work 40-50 hours a week trying to supply the needs of my family and she does nothing. What should I do about this? I feel I am doing all the work and she is doing nothing.

Frustrated
I have heard this one before...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 AM
delete account

Quote:
#1 Yesterday, 10:47 PM
LadyCoonskinner
Registered Member Join Date: Feb 2007

Hey Everybody...I Need Help!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight I went to a class on Medical Transcription. I used to transcribe roughly 12 years ago and so much has changed.

Well, I am thinking about entering the field again as we have a family (some of our best support) moving in June and so putting me in the position of having to get a job. ( I don't want the Skinner to have to do that, cause I can get a better paying job and he can preach out if he needs to)

So where I need the help is.... do I take this course which I can do in about 3-6 months or....... get a job right now.

Transcription pays well and I can do it from my home on my time, but it will take me a little while to start making money.

So........opinions please (and try to be serious or else)
Dear Mrs. CS,

Many times our short-term needs would seem to eclipse our long-term goals. It is best to consider what is more profitable in the long run than a temporary bandaid right now.

Have you considered alternative options; such as, student loans to meet the financial need while studying for the higher paying position? Or doing a work study program; such as, an office job where there is free time to study and utilize the computer resources for your studies?

Sometimes it is possible to combine the two needs and work on both simultaneously, and other times it would be more lucrative to sacrifice by tightening the budget or even letting the skinner work part-time for 6 months to enable you to make more money to free him up for more ministry...Just a few things you might consider.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
I have heard this one before...
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Rhoni,

My wife just had our first child approimately six months ago. Since the baby has been here I can't understand why she doesn't keep the house clean, have supper ready, and when I walk through the door after working all day...she hands me the baby and tells me it is my turn. What does she do all day? I work 40-50 hours a week trying to supply the needs of my family and she does nothing. What should I do about this? I feel I am doing all the work and she is doing nothing.

Frustrated
Dear Frustrated;

First, I'd like to thank-you for the question...men rarely write in to advice columns...it is brave of you. I'd like to say that your situation is more common than out of the ordinary. Life follows cyclical patterns, and one cycle of life is the childbearing years.

When a woman carries a child for 9 months she feels an emotional attachment to the child that will forever change her. This comes later for the father. After 9 months of body changes, i.e., weight gain, water retention, sometimes high blood pressure, or gestational diabetes. There are hormone changes; one either becomes hyper-sexual or hypo-sexual. There is either a pronounced increase in libido or a pronounced decrease.

Regardless,after the birth of a child a woman's body again changes, she has loose fatty deposits in places she never imagined. Her body is stressed, worn, and exhausted from the experience. Then three days after the baby is born and she returns home and is expected to keep her house as clean as before, prepare meals, and greet her husband at the door with a smile.

Reality is, the baby has cried every 1-2 hours wanting immediate attention. She is trying to read the little one's mind: is the baby wet [need a diaper change], is the baby hungry [need a bottle or the breast], or is the baby in pain [sick],; How is one to know? She is overwhelmed with responsibility and she is afraid if she leaves the baby in the bassinett and walks intot he other room - the baby will stop breathing and die.

Her pre-baby schedule is never more the same. She is at the baby's beck and call...trying to meet all the baby's needs. When is she to find time for her own lunch? For a bath? For time to wash the dishes? Time to fix supper? She feels alone, deserted even though she knows her husband has went to work. She is so glad he has coem home to relieve her of the baby responsibilities so she can get a bath, sit down and eat something, and not worry that the baby is being neglected.

Father comes home, wants to relax because he just got home from work...he opens the door to a distraught wife, to a crying baby, and no supper, and the house is a mess. He feels that he has worked all day and she has done nothing, and tells her about it. Talk about miscommunicating and frustration. And having a baby is supposed to be a happy time...

Here are some things we might try to restore balance/ homeostasis to the situation:
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
delete account

*Sharing child care responsibilities - for the first three months, or more...these things should be divided. It can't be equally but it can be done effectively. Mom does need a break. If you don't think so...then the father should babysit for an 8 hour period while Momma has a day out with friends, family, or self care: a facial, manicure, pedicure, or a massage. Then the rest of this should be easier for the father to take!

While mother is trying to adapt to new shcedules and effectively manage her time...father should be empathizing with her and asking her what she needs for him to do so that she can take a break, and or fix dinner.

First, when coming home - mother needs to remember that her husband has been working all day and she should begin by kissing him and asking him about his day. He should hold her and tell her that he has missed her and so glad to be home with her.

Then Mother could say, "Honey would you mind holding our precious baby and feeding her this bottle while I fix us some dinner". And he should NEVER say when the baby cries...come and get it. He should practice his own way of soothing thee child [model what he has seen his wife do]. Mother cannot fix supper and be running after a bottle...father should learn how to do this himself. When the baby cries he needs to walk with the baby...take the baby outside...not bring the baby into the kitchen so the mother again feels overwhelmed and unable to take care of the supper.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:50 PM
delete account

Night feedings...this should be scheduled so that the mother gets 3-4 hours of straight through sleeping, especially if she is breast feeding. In order for milk to come in plenteous and thick...the mother should get adequate rest and hydration. Dad should either take the first shift, or the second shift so that mom can get enought sleep...because it may not be possible in the day when father is at work. This can easily be worked around a workd schedule. Remember Dad, this is just temporary until the baby sleeps more than eats. This shoudl be a shared responsibility. If Mom is breastfeeding, she can either supplement with a bottle of formula or express enough milk to cover one feeding so Dad can share in this bonding activity.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

I would rather heterostasis be restored to any problematic situations that arise in my life.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM
delete account

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
I would rather heterostasis be restored to any problematic situations that arise in my life.

I bet you helped Sis. CS with the children. You are just a lamb in bear's clothing! I will ignore your homophobic remark!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
I bet you helped Sis. CS with the children. You are just a lamb in bear's clothing! I will ignore your homophobic remark!
I actually got up in the night with our boys a good bit.

they were so sweet when they would wake up wanting to play and visit in the wee hours.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
delete account

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
I actually got up in the night with our boys a good bit.

they were so sweet when they would wake up wanting to play and visit in the wee hours.
See...I knew I was right...under that rough exterior is a true gentleman and loving father.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Non-Resident Redneck

Quote:
See...I knew I was right...under that rough exterior is a true gentleman and loving father.
I'm still a homophobe though.

We can't forget that.
Closed Thread