Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I would dare say you've probably never attended real Charismatic services. They are nothing like what we are! Nothing at all. I don't fit in there anymore than I would fit in an AMF camp meeting. The worship style is totally different; the structure is usually non-existent; etc.
So Carlton Pearson can't preach for yall ?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
So Carlton Pearson can't preach for yall ?
I don't think we'll be bringing him in anytime soon!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Quote:
I don't think we'll be bringing him in anytime soon!
Well are yall bringing in Benny Hinn ?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
Well are yall bringing in Benny Hinn ?
He's too fancy for our church; we're a pretty laid back casual bunch!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I would dare say you've probably never attended real Charismatic services. They are nothing like what we are! Nothing at all. I don't fit in there anymore than I would fit in an AMF camp meeting. The worship style is totally different; the structure is usually non-existent; etc.
THANK YOU!! I grow a little weary in saying that not everyone who leaves the Mother Ship has "gone Charismatic!!"
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
If this is what PCIers believe then I am definitely not a PCIer. I believe we have a responsibility to preach the good news of Christ's death, burial, resurrection and exaltation as "the head over everything for the church". When a sinner is convicted by the preaching of the gospel and truly believes in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and their Savior, they need to repent and be baptized by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ and God has promised to give them the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Where I take exception to the PAJC doctrine of salvation is their rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration apart from the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial sign of speaking with other tongues. I don't believe the Bible supports the concept of a sinner uniting themselves with Christ in baptism, or receiving the earnest of an inheritance that belongs to a child of God. You must first become a child of God before you have a right to the benefits of family. Jesus was born of the Spirit, and because He was the Son of God publicly identified Himself with the kingdom of God [and the Father confirmed that Jesus was indeed His beloved Son], and the Spirit came upon Him [in Jesus' own words] to anoint Him for the ministry He was about to enter into.

Jesus made it very clear that one is born again as a result of believing in Him. It is only because we have been born again that we can see [understand] spiritual truths of the kingdom of God that guide us into baptism and makes it possible for us to receive the empowerment that the baptism of the Holy Spirit provides us.

It is by walking in the power of the Spirit that the fruit of the Spirit is able to flourish in our lives, and we're able to operate the gifts of the Spirit for the edification of fellow believers in the Body of Christ.

I do not believe that one need only say they believe in Jesus Christ and they are saved! However, if one truly believes they will be saved! Their walk with God in the Spirit will bear witness to the authenticity of their faith.

Bro TB, just clarify something for me if you would. You said if a sinner is convicted by the preaching of the gospel and believes in Jesus Christ as their savior, they will be saved, and then they NEED to be baptized in Jesus' Name, and receive the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongues.

My question to you is this: what if they refuse to be baptized in Jesus' name, and think the Holy Ghost is not for us today? I know people like that. Good people, who would put some Apostolics to shame when it comes to being 'Christlike'. Yet when coming face to face with 'men and brethren, what must we do', they balk.

I'm rather confused about this, and would love an answer........
Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Bro TB, just clarify something for me if you would. You said if a sinner is convicted by the preaching of the gospel and believes in Jesus Christ as their savior, they will be saved, and then they NEED to be baptized in Jesus' Name, and receive the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongues.

My question to you is this: what if they refuse to be baptized in Jesus' name, and think the Holy Ghost is not for us today? I know people like that. Good people, who would put some Apostolics to shame when it comes to being 'Christlike'. Yet when coming face to face with 'men and brethren, what must we do', they balk.

I'm rather confused about this, and would love an answer........
If you read the entire post that I made, I think I answered your question in the last paragraph when I said, "I do not believe that one need only say they believe in Jesus Christ and they are saved! However, if one truly believes they will be saved! Their walk with God in the Spirit will bear witness to the authenticity of their faith."

I realize that for some Pentecostals it probably jumps out at you to read or hear someone express themselves as I have. In the Full Gospel Church I grew up in and in the Atlantic District where I spent most of my ministry it was common to hear someone testify that they were glad that God had saved them and filled them with the Holy Ghost.

I grew up believing I was saved through faith in Jesus Christ, but needed to be baptized by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ and receive the baptism of the Holy Ghost. I have seen no arguments put forth yet that has changed my mind on the correctness of this teaching.

My experience was that I grew up in a Oneness Pentecostal Church where I believed the gospel and asked God to forgive me my sins when I was very young. I didn't receive the Holy Ghost until I was 15 years old and it was after I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost that I was baptized in water.

I can witness to the truth that in the years between when I repented and received the baptism of the Holy Ghost I had a wonderful relationship with the Lord. I loved Him with all my heart and walked with God faithfully in what I came to realize was a very legalistic church environment. I often questioned my salvation, not because I didn't have a real relationship with God, but because I had a wrong concept of holiness and never felt I could live up to all that was required all of the time.

When I received the revelation of grace at age 19, it was the most awesome thing I had ever experienced apart from the baptism of the Holy Ghost. In some ways it was even more powerful in that I recall praying the night I received the Holy Ghost baptism for Christ to come because I felt I was as holy as I probably would ever be at that moment. So, there was still that uncertainty about my salvation. With the revelation of God's grace came the assurance of my salvation. That was truly life changing for me!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

I don't have a dog in this fight. It's not my thread and I've not so much as read the first post until moments ago. However, I've gone through all 67 posts and have to say that this is one of the best beat around the bush examples I've ever seen.

I think the question was a good question. I had never even wondered about such before and thought it might be a good thread to get an answer from. It was't. 67 posts and not one person said "I know Bro. *** is PCI and has a strong standard."

I'm actually very surprised because I thought there might be a list of several who held strong standards. Though I never looked at it from that particular perspective maybe CB's question is more revealing than we think.

Reading this thread I can almost hear a recent former Prez clearing his throat and saying, "Define 'did' ".
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight. It's not my thread and I've not so much as read the first post until moments ago. However, I've gone through all 67 posts and have to say that this is one of the best beat around the bush examples I've ever seen.

I think the question was a good question. I had never even wondered about such before and thought it might be a good thread to get an answer from. It was't. 67 posts and not one person said "I know Bro. *** is PCI and has a strong standard."

I'm actually very surprised because I thought there might be a list of several who held strong standards. Though I never looked at it from that particular perspective maybe CB's question is more revealing than we think.

Reading this thread I can almost hear a recent former Prez clearing his throat and saying, "Define 'did' ".
Sorry to burst your bubble sir but I know lots of PCI people who have VERY strong standards. Do you want names? I can provide them!

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

What I would like to know is how your strong standards make you any better any more holy, any more effective or any more spiritual than those (me) you would castigate and define as not having strong standards.

How are you sir, or the people you pastor any better or more accepted with God than myself or others who don't hold to your strong standards?

So of what effect and use are your so called strong standards? How do you want to measure strong? How do you want to measure anointing? How do you want to measure effective?

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)