Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Cross-examine it!

Re: I Corinthians 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
Paul does say that Women should have long hair and men short hair,and he was an Apostle.Sure I would hear Samuel and John The Baptist in their proper places in God's timing.
I hear what they say when I read my bible don't I ?
My point is, I believe the more common view on this forum of I Cor. 11 seems to be inconsistent with the rest of Scripture, and has no other basis in Scripture.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Sister Alvear

what about these scriptures they too are in the Bible...

It was not wrong for Ezekiel to prophesy with something on his hcad. "The word of the Lord came unto me, saying . . . bind the tire of thine head upon thee, and put on thy shoes upon thy feet." After doing "these things", he began to prophesy: "Thus saith the Lord . . ." (Ezekiel 24:15-21).

It was not wrong for Moses to prophesy with his head covered! When Moses came down from mount Sinai his face shone and "he gave them in commandment all that the Lord had spoken with him in mount Sinai. And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a vail on his face" (Exodus 34:32, 33).

It was not wrong for David or Elijah to pray with their heads covered! Elijah "wrapped his face in his mantle" (1 Kings 19:13) as he stood in the presence of the Lord and spoke with him. When David fled from Absalom, he "went up by the ascent of mount Olivet, and wept as he went up, and had his head covered . . . and all the people that was with him covered every man his head . . . and . . . David said, 0 Lord, I pray thee, turn the counsel of Ahithophel into foolishness . . ." (II Samuel 15:30-32).

As the men of Jerusalem and Judah "covered their heads" (Jer. 14:3), modern Jews at prayer cover their heads with a tallith shawl, or, if not available, at least a skullcap as a sign of reverence. They consider praying bareheaded to be disgraceful, not the other way around.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 05-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Sister Alvear

I was talking to Michael the Disciple...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 05-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

Paul did write that nature teaches for a man to have long hair it is a dishonour to him,and if a woman has long hair it is a glory to her for her hair is given to her as a covering.
This does seem to teach a masculine and female type of hair length.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned

A woman must be veiled with a veil when praying or prophesying as a sign she is under athority of the men.A woman has two veils,one her long hair and the other a veil when she prays and prophesieth.1 Cor.11:[3] But I would have you know, that the head (athority)of every man is Christ; and the head (athority)of the woman is the man; and the head (athority)of Christ is God.
[4] Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered(veiled), dishonoureth his head(athority,Christ).[5] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered(unveiled) dishonoureth her head(athority,man): for that is even all one as if she were shaven.[6] For if the woman be not covered(veiled), let her also be shorn(cut her hair): but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn(cut her hair) or shaven, let her be covered(veiled).
[7] For a man indeed ought not to cover (veil)his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.[8] For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.[9] Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.[10] For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.[11] Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
[12] For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of god.[13] Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered(unveiled)?[14] Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?[15] But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering(veiling).[16] But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
My point is, I believe the more common view on this forum of I Cor. 11 seems to be inconsistent with the rest of Scripture, and has no other basis in Scripture.
Baron, I for one appreicate the way you are approaching this. even though we dont agree... I do have a question.... what exactly do you think the "common view" is?

cuz from what I have seen, there are just about as many views on this as there are posters! LOL.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

The New Living Translation is very uncut hair friendly. Check it out.

1 Corinthians 11 (New Living Translation)

1 11:1 And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.
Instructions for Public Worship
2 I am so glad that you always keep me in your thoughts, and that you are following the teachings I passed on to you. 3 But there is one thing I want you to know: The head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.[a] 4 A man dishonors his head[b] if he covers his head while praying or prophesying. 5 But a woman dishonors her head[c] if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. 6 Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering.[d]

7 A man should not wear anything on his head when worshiping, for man is made in God’s image and reflects God’s glory. And woman reflects man’s glory. 8 For the first man didn’t come from woman, but the first woman came from man. 9 And man was not made for woman, but woman was made for man. 10 For this reason, and because the angels are watching, a woman should wear a covering on her head to show she is under authority.[e]

11 But among the Lord’s people, women are not independent of men, and men are not independent of women. 12 For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves. Is it right for a woman to pray to God in public without covering her head? 14 Isn’t it obvious that it’s disgraceful for a man to have long hair? 15 And isn’t long hair a woman’s pride and joy? For it has been given to her as a covering. 16 But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God’s other churches.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
The New Living Translation is very uncut hair friendly. Check it out.

1 Corinthians 11 (New Living Translation)

1 11:1 And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.
Instructions for Public Worship
2 I am so glad that you always keep me in your thoughts, and that you are following the teachings I passed on to you. 3 But there is one thing I want you to know: The head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.[a] 4 A man dishonors his head[b] if he covers his head while praying or prophesying. 5 But a woman dishonors her head[c] if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head, for this is the same as shaving her head. 6 Yes, if she refuses to wear a head covering, she should cut off all her hair! But since it is shameful for a woman to have her hair cut or her head shaved, she should wear a covering.[d]

7 A man should not wear anything on his head when worshiping, for man is made in God’s image and reflects God’s glory. And woman reflects man’s glory. 8 For the first man didn’t come from woman, but the first woman came from man. 9 And man was not made for woman, but woman was made for man. 10 For this reason, and because the angels are watching, a woman should wear a covering on her head to show she is under authority.[e]

11 But among the Lord’s people, women are not independent of men, and men are not independent of women. 12 For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God.

13 Judge for yourselves. Is it right for a woman to pray to God in public without covering her head? 14 Isn’t it obvious that it’s disgraceful for a man to have long hair? 15 And isn’t long hair a woman’s pride and joy? For it has been given to her as a covering. 16 But if anyone wants to argue about this, I simply say that we have no other custom than this, and neither do God’s other churches.
DG, the problem with this passage lies in its context to other scriptures. Paul was a Jew himself and Jewish men wore skull caps and prayed with the "tallit", including the women.

The passage as a "disgrace" for a man to have long hair, even violated Paul's own vow in Acts 19. Something is wrong with the translation or he may have been quoting a letter from the Corinthian elders.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

http://www.jewishbazaar.com/shvotim-...hawl-light.htm
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

http://www.bible-researcher.com/headcoverings3.html