Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: How far do you drive to church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I don't know.

We haven't found our church yet. It may be 2 minutes (hopefully) or it may be 30.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
of 9!! :)

About 20 miles one way, and it's well worth the drive!
Old 03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

We drive 12 miles to church. On Sunday it is not a problem. But on Wednesday nights the traffic is so unpredictable, we have started out to church several times and had to turn around after sitting in traffic for over an hour. The problem is we have to cross a river to get to church and there are only 2 bridges over the river. It is in a bedroom community that has experienced a population explosion and the traffic is unreal. I guess I will stop whining now!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsBabyGirl View Post
GOOD FOR YOU!!!! How is your church doing?
We are ok. It isn't easy trying to start a new church after being in our comfort zone for so long. Our old church was paid for, had Sunday schools classes, and a gym where we had youth services. Now we are renting a great place but we have to setup and tear down our music stuff every service.

We are just in our seventh month so we are still working out all the kinks.

I think when we split we had about 85-90 folks as members. We had around 175 in attendance yesterday and of course that was our highest number yet. It was exciting to have way more folks show up than we expected. It seems like attendance has been picking up lately and folks are wanting to get involved.

We have a TV broadcast and a prayer hotline so our pastor is making a lot of contacts because of that.

We aren't trying to grow numbers or any of that stuff. Just trying to be a light to our city and show people the love of Christ. We are in a very depressed area with high crime and violence so our goal is to show people the healing love of God more than anything else. If they decide to come to our church that is fine but if they just want to come visit and take what they receive back to their home church then that is fine.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Drive 60 miles. We have an apartment there too though.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
the ultracon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Drive 60 miles. We have an apartment there too though.
Wow...how long does that take Steve....in a horse and buggy ?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Saved by Grace

50 miles, we bring guests sometimes, not as much as I would like, def due to the drive. We pass alot of churches, but the church we are in was at one time my local church-and now it is a great and growing church. However I am doing a bible study in my area, perhaps one day we can have a work out here. Because of the distance my church is from here it means that these attending the bible study do not get to visit my church, a real bummer, and even a challenge. When they are convicted through the study, they will attend church on the weekend-baptist, thats the majority here. I ive in a town of 1000 there are literally at least 8 baptist churches out here, 1 methodist, assembly of God (closed down), and Church of God. Anyway, people ask why I drive 50 miles, I try to explain in simplified terms, but most don't understand. However, there is a lady from my area that has come to church now 5 times, and has brought kids, grandkids, parents, basically everyone close to her, and said after coming to church"wow". I asked her if she understood why I made that drive, she does now.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I drive 3 miles to church. I've been attending the same church for 23 yrs.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
Wow...how long does that take Steve....in a horse and buggy ?
Forty days and Forty nights!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves