Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Blessed View Post
I don't believe that God looks upon His family in terms of liberal, moderate, conservative, or ultracon. So often on AFF someone will challenge terminology being used demanding Scriptural proof. Yet we all so freely use these unbiblical terms. We are all members of the family of God. The biblical terminology for our relationship with one another is "brother" and "sister". Man loves to compare themselves among themselves, even though Paul said it's not wise to do so. God simply sees us as His adopted children and relates to us as a loving Father, who shows us much more grace than what we tend to show one another.
You say it so extremely well.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Stirring the pot!

Just for clarification. A PCIer is one who believes in repentance, baptism in Jesus name and the infilling of the Holy Ghost evidenced by speaking in tongues but believes that only repentance is REQUIRED for salvation.

Am I right?

Also, according to most of the posts on this thread, a majority of PCIer's do not hold fast to traditional holiness standards.

So wouldn't that basically make them (Oh no! The dreaded word!)..."CHARISMATIC?"

I know that there will be those that say otherwise and I'm sure that Daniel will accuse me of "breeding ignorance"...but who cares?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlooney View Post
Just for clarification. A PCIer is one who believes in repentance, baptism in Jesus name and the infilling of the Holy Ghost evidenced by speaking in tongues but believes that only repentance is REQUIRED for salvation.

Am I right?

Also, according to most of the posts on this thread, a majority of PCIer's do not hold fast to traditional holiness standards.

So wouldn't that basically make them (Oh no! The dreaded word!)..."CHARISMATIC?"

I know that there will be those that say otherwise and I'm sure that Daniel will accuse me of "breeding ignorance"...but who cares?

No!! Why would you think that?!
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Am I right?

If this is what PCIers believe then I am definitely not a PCIer. I believe we have a responsibility to preach the good news of Christ's death, burial, resurrection and exaltation as "the head over everything for the church". When a sinner is convicted by the preaching of the gospel and truly believes in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and their Savior, they need to repent and be baptized by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ and God has promised to give them the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Where I take exception to the PAJC doctrine of salvation is their rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration apart from the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the initial sign of speaking with other tongues. I don't believe the Bible supports the concept of a sinner uniting themselves with Christ in baptism, or receiving the earnest of an inheritance that belongs to a child of God. You must first become a child of God before you have a right to the benefits of family. Jesus was born of the Spirit, and because He was the Son of God publicly identified Himself with the kingdom of God [and the Father confirmed that Jesus was indeed His beloved Son], and the Spirit came upon Him [in Jesus' own words] to anoint Him for the ministry He was about to enter into.

Jesus made it very clear that one is born again as a result of believing in Him. It is only because we have been born again that we can see [understand] spiritual truths of the kingdom of God that guide us into baptism and makes it possible for us to receive the empowerment that the baptism of the Holy Spirit provides us.

It is by walking in the power of the Spirit that the fruit of the Spirit is able to flourish in our lives, and we're able to operate the gifts of the Spirit for the edification of fellow believers in the Body of Christ.

I do not believe that one need only say they believe in Jesus Christ and they are saved! However, if one truly believes they will be saved! Their walk with God in the Spirit will bear witness to the authenticity of their faith.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
arbitrary subjective label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
The Conservative Stand

1. No TV
2. No Make up
3. No Jewelry (including wedding rings)
4. No Pants on ladies, or skirts on men
5. No splits in skirts
6. Long Sleeved shirts (at least 3/4 length)
7. Uncut hair for women, short cut hair on men.
8. No Facial hair on men or women
It's amazing how differently people will react to this list. Some will see it as a sensible and beneficial tool to help keep the sheep pointed in the right direction. People are easily distracted and drawn away of their own desires. Anything that helps keep people focused on Jesus is a good thing.

Others see it as a return to Moses, or, even worse, Egypt. It's all in how you look at it. Some of it is in how it was presented to you, i.e. I make no apologies for dictators.

I have been blessed to see most of these explained in love, not with a hammer and gavel. Maybe this is unusual, but I have visited an unusual number of Apostolic churches, and my experience is that the clothesline despots are vastly in the minority.

As far as the labeling spectrum goes, here are some other, biblical, 'terms of endearment:'

And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? - 1 Corinthians 8:11

Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a
brawler, not covetous; - 1 Timothy 3:3

Now therefore know and consider what thou wilt do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his household: for he is such a
son of Belial, that a man cannot speak to him. - 1 Samuel 25:17

But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an
infidel. - 1 Timothy 5:8

And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an
heathen man and a publican. - Matthew 18:17

Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be
reprobates? - 2 Corinthians 13:5

But if any man seem to be
contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God. - 1 Corinthians 11:16

Woe unto you,
scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation. - Matthew 23:14 (three for one!)

Now the
just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. - Hebrews 10:38

Let it henceforth be said of me that I am a "brawling son of Belial." That's my favorite!

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl
Others see it as a return to Moses, or, even worse, Egypt. It's all in how you look at it. Some of it is in how it was presented to you, i.e. I make no apologies for dictators.
I certainly never said any such thing -- just want to make that clear. When I was UPCI standards were never an issue for me. Thankfully, I had pastors who loved me and pastored me with great kindness and patience. They were not hard taskmasters in any sense of the word.

I've said over and over so many times that submitting myself to rules and rulership and those in authority over me never ever did me any harm whatsoever. No way. I understand the value of fences and boundary lines.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 07-31-2007, 12:05 PM
arbitrary subjective label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
I understand the value of fences and boundary lines.
Then why are you holding those wire cutters behind your back?

J/K

Despite today's rising cost of living, it remains popular.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Sir Winston Churchill

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
Then why are you holding those wire cutters behind your back?

J/K
Ha! There are invisible boundary lines that can't be removed. The result of Holy Ghost conviction and good teaching/training.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:22 PM

Bro. Carl......

Speaking of fences and wire cutters and all ..... check out this that I wrote a while back.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Christmas 2009

Quote:

Am I right?

I would dare say you've probably never attended real Charismatic services. They are nothing like what we are! Nothing at all. I don't fit in there anymore than I would fit in an AMF camp meeting. The worship style is totally different; the structure is usually non-existent; etc.