Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Banned

Re: Students Plan - March for Our Lives: March 24t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
If automatic weapons can be banned, and they are, so can other types of weapons.

Living students in schools are far more important than ak47's and ar15's. Protect the students and the teachers at the expense of military type weapons.
Freedoms come with limits. For example, I have free speech... but I can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded building. I have the right to own a weapon... but not a nuclear warhead.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

I deal with technical legislation creation all the time. Usually about environmental legislation.

Where there is a will, there is a way to draft legislation that limits access to certain weapons without violating citizen rights.

For myself, children are far more important than guns. I am not willing to risk one to protect the other.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I'd classify it as a military style weapon designed specifically for killing human beings with efficiency. While certainly such weapons can be used for hunting, their design and purpose isn't for hunting or sport. They are weapons of war.
Good thing an AR-15 doesn't fall under that classification then. People love to vilify the AR-15, but the worst school shooting we ever had (Virginia Tech) was done with a couple handguns. No scary "assault rifle". There is not one thing inherently more dangerous about the AR-15 than any other gun.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Where there is a will, there is a way to draft legislation that limits access to certain weapons without violating citizen rights.
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Bans on guns are an infringement on our rights.

Quote:
For myself, children are far more important than guns. I am not willing to risk one to protect the other.
Oh yes, the all-beloved "for the children" defense that the left loves to use while chipping away at the Constitution.
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

We also have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Since some guns are not permitted to be owned by citizens, others can be added to the list of banned guns.

This NRA rhetoric is killing our kids and their teachers.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
We also have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
And where's my liberty to own whatever gun I desire?

Quote:
Since some guns are not permitted to be owned by citizens, others can be added to the list of banned guns.
And why should any gun be banned? As I already said, fully automatic weapons ban was supposed to prevent these type of incidents from occurring, it has not. How far do you suppose the left intends to go on these bans? It would have to ban every single gun in existence to stop all shootings, which is impossible.

Quote:
This NRA rhetoric is killing our kids and their teachers.
Overdramatic much? The "NRA rhetoric" isn't killing anyone, it's the lefts obsession with gun-free zones that are killing them. If there were armed people on campus, that shooter wouldn't have been able to do what he did.

Did you know that there was a security guard on campus? Did you also know that he wasn't armed? Wasn't allowed to be armed? If he had been, perhaps he could have stopped the shootings.

The NRA isn't the problem. Guns aren't the problem. You and your kind are the problem.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd classify it as a military style weapon designed specifically for killing human beings with efficiency. While certainly such weapons can be used for hunting, their design and purpose isn't for hunting or sport. They are weapons of war.
That's a very broad definition, which could cover everything from a pistol to rifle.

It's funny to watch the left try to explain and define what they mean when they talk about wanting to ban "assault rifles" or "assault weapons" or "military type weapons."

An "assault rifle" has always been defined as a "selective fire" rifle -- meaning you can easily switch the rate of fire from semi-auto to burst to fully automatic. AR-15 is not an assault rifle, no matter how much the libs and media try to claim.

Enter California and the left's quest to reclassify and redefine weapons in an effort to ban more guns. After a horrific school shooting and other mass shootings in the late 80s and early 90s, Feinstein and other Dems in Congress pushed through the Assault Weapons Ban. This bill created a new term called "assault weapon," which was defined by the following:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.
This was done because the AK-47 used in the 1989 school shooting did not meet the definition of "assault rifle."

This ban ended in 2004, but it appears this is where we're headed again. What will be interesting is how they plan to enforce the law with regards to the people who already legally possess an AR-15, or in my case a pistol with an extended capacity magazine.

I have a Ruger LCP 9s. The standard magazine is only 7 rounds. I purchased a couple 9 round magazines which cause it to extend just slightly below the pistol grip -- a violation of the 1994 law.

Last edited by n david; 02-20-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have the right to own a weapon... but not a nuclear warhead.
smh
Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
Good thing an AR-15 doesn't fall under that classification then. People love to vilify the AR-15, but the worst school shooting we ever had (Virginia Tech) was done with a couple handguns. No scary "assault rifle". There is not one thing inherently more dangerous about the AR-15 than any other gun.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Bans on guns are an infringement on our rights.

Oh yes, the all-beloved "for the children" defense that the left loves to use while chipping away at the Constitution.