Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Re: Praying in the alters

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
I am just glad I don't have to deal with any altar calls and especially "praying through". ha ha, "praying through" is a hazing from my point of view.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Wow. My grandfather once asked me if we still had altar calls. You see, he was a long time Methodist and he can rememember when the Methodist church had altar calls.

I thank God my church still has altar calls. I thank God there are churches still preaching what people need to hear and providing a time to pray and be prayed for.

It's so sad to see the comments of the jaded. I have friends that left the UPC and never are spiteful
The Methodist variety of "altar calls" were often intended to give a person the opportunity to receive "Entire Sanctification" - that "Second Work" of Grace that Wesley had advocated as a means for getting the believer into a state of "Sinless Perfection."

We do the same thing but we call it "The Baptism of the Holy Ghost, Evidence by Speaking in Other Tongues" due to the theological influences of Parham and Durham. I imagine that an "Olde Time" Methodist might be looking at our "altar calls" and "praying through" and seeing at least the outward manifestations that they would have seen in "Olde Time Methodism."
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Re: Praying in the altars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRev View Post
I have no doubt that he does. I was stating my preference for altars and people praying with me verses no altar call and little "gather around the front" prayer times that, from what I have observed, are about as sincere as someone praying for a fencepost.

The bible does say something about FERVENT prayer for a reason.
Of course of they really needed a fencepost it may seem just a bit more important to them than you realize.

Fervent prayer, to me, is really having a need at that moment and otherwise being at the end of your rope. Three years ago just days before moving to Arizona we went through endless drama buying our home where we were approved and then denied -three times! The last time occurred just the day before we were hitting the road to drive here (the moving van was packed up and sitting in our drive way and Gail was due to start work in a week)! I was TRULY exhausted and at the end of my rope that afternoon. In desperation I asked people here to pray for me. I have no idea how many did but between those who did and my own frantic wailing, God answered in about 10 minutes and got us a loan through another lender.

But through that I still wouldn't have had people laying hands on me. Praying with me yes, but not all over me. Just like the younger boy from the Apple Dumpling Gang , "Randy doesn't like to be touched".
Old 09-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Go Dodgers!

This is another verse that needs to be understood in context. Jesus prayed very public prayers for others to hear. He was not making a law. He was responding to the hypocrisy of Pharisees that pray for a show

Mat 6:5 And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:6 But you, when you pray, enter into your room. And shutting your door, pray to your Father in secret; and your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly.
But this presents a very good lesson for people who pray in church LOUDLY for others to hear, particularly their personal prayers. There are personal prayers and there is public prayer

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
The Methodist variety of "altar calls" were often intended to give a person the opportunity to receive "Entire Sanctification" - that "Second Work" of Grace that Wesley had advocated as a means for getting the believer into a state of "Sinless Perfection."

We do the same thing but we call it "The Baptism of the Holy Ghost, Evidence by Speaking in Other Tongues" due to the theological influences of Parham and Durham. I imagine that an "Olde Time" Methodist might be looking at our "altar calls" and "praying through" and seeing at least the outward manifestations that they would have seen in "Olde Time Methodism."
Not just that brother. They also believed in "waiting on the Lord" for a "blessing"...an experience that would verify their salvation to them. It was not specific like tongues, but still one can see how this seeped over into Pentecostalism

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

I am totally familiar with what happens at alters sometimes as I used to be very apostolic myself and somethings were very inappropriate.

However, where I worship now is pretty balanced in most things. There are only authorized people that are allowed to pray for and with anyone. Sometimes I will ask a person if I can pray with them. That works better if they give their permission.

On the other hand, if you are greasing them up, yelling in their ears and behaving like they are the scum of the earth, then there may be some issues later on. I think we have to combat the foolishness of past traditions by admitting that some things were wrong and look at the examples in the scriptures.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Go Dodgers!

I think having authorized prayers or alter workers is absurd, however I do believe there needs to be oversight in altar workers.

They need to be taught and regulated but not tied or prevented from serving God or even being led by God.

It was another thread that brought this up in a negative light but oddly enough I heard a testimony lastnight of a postive light.

This young man had recently been coming to church and he was at the altar seeking God on a specific issue or issues. This brother came over and prayed for him outloud and the man heard him pray for everyone of his issues so he felt God had heard him and it was a blessing to him

Old 09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Praxeus, what is the difference in oversight and designated workers? Either way you are implementing rules for the protection of the innocent. In my opinion, people should not be randomly praying for people and laying hands. That is not good at all.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Praxeus, what is the difference in oversight and designated workers? Either way you are implementing rules for the protection of the innocent. In my opinion, people should not be randomly praying for people and laying hands. That is not good at all.
Laying on of hands needs to designated for the ministry but not just praying for/with people
Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
seriously? What's the difference? Oversight is regulating those who are praying with others..if you see something out of order you approach that person and instruct them. Plus you can instruct the entire congregation on praying with others

I never said having rules was wrong btw, not sure why you raise that as an issuie