Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Don't ask.

Re: Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Ask Origen.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
OK, your turn.
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Ah, good one!

Oh, I forgot: if you answer "figurative", you have to say what the real application of the figurative scripture is. So, Miz, what's Mark 9:47 really about?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Ah, good one!

Oh, I forgot: if you answer "figurative", you have to say what the real application of the figurative scripture is. So, Miz, what's Mark 9:47 really about?
Hey, we need more people to play! Come on, it'll be fun!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
No takers? OK, I guess I'll have to.

Figurative. I think its intended meaning is not that you must hate your family, but that you must love Jesus more than you love them. What that specifically means varies on a case by case basis. E.g., you might have to choose between going to church or attending your daughter's piano recital. Or her wedding. Or you may have to choose between following Jesus and staying with your spouse (not a far-fetched scenario), and Jesus, of course, would expect you to tell hubby or wifey adios. Elsewhere (Matthew 19:29), He promised that if you do, you will have eternal life as your reward. (Or was that figurative? )

Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:

Figurative. I think its intended meaning is not that you must hate your family, but that you must love Jesus more than you love them. What that specifically means varies on a case by case basis. E.g., you might have to choose between going to church or attending your daughter's piano recital. Or her wedding. Or you may have to choose between following Jesus and staying with your spouse (not a far-fetched scenario), and Jesus, of course, would expect you to tell hubby or wifey adios. Elsewhere (Matthew 19:29), He promised that if you do, you will have eternal life as your reward. (Or was that figurative? )
Oh, I guess it's my turn to give a scripture. OK, here:

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Literal or figurative?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, I guess it's my turn to give a scripture. OK, here:

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Literal or figurative?
literal... its referring to the group and not each individual member of that group
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
literal... its referring to the group and not each individual member of that group
Cool. Thanks.

So, among the group of believers, there will occur instances of devils being cast out, and of speaking in new languages. Technically, it is now your turn to post a scripture, but I'll like to bring in the rest of the list of signs that will follow believers, too:

18 They shall take up serpents;

Literal or figurative?

... and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;

Literal or figurative?

... they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Literal or figurative?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool. Thanks.

So, among the group of believers, there will occur instances of devils being cast out, and of speaking in new languages. Technically, it is now your turn to post a scripture, but I'll like to bring in the rest of the list of signs that will follow believers, too:

18 They shall take up serpents;

Literal or figurative? literal: snake handlers fulfilled that for us

... and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;

Literal or figurative? literal: i'm pretty sure snake handlers fulfilled this one for us too

... they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Literal or figurative?
literal... i can't think of any specific examples... but i can think of that one dudes shadow who passed over and healed a person. at least i think thats how the story went. so i figure if a shadow can do it then a hand can do it for sure and the shadow kinda one upped the hand.

Last edited by jfrog; 02-22-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Figurative. I think its intended meaning is not that you must hate your family, but that you must love Jesus more than you love them.
Since we are also commanded to love all men (1 Thess 3:12) including those who curse and persecute us (Matt 5:44), then Jesus cannot be commanding us to love and hate others at the same time but he is using a figure of speech, hyperbole, which is an extravagant statement; the use of exaggerated terms for the purpose of emphasis or heightened effect.

Quote:
What that specifically means varies on a case by case basis. E.g., you might have to choose between going to church or attending your daughter's piano recital. Or her wedding. Or you may have to choose between following Jesus and staying with your spouse (not a far-fetched scenario), and Jesus, of course, would expect you to tell hubby or wifey adios. Elsewhere (Matthew 19:29), He promised that if you do, you will have eternal life as your reward. (Or was that figurative? )
Those two examples seem far-fetched to me.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear