Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Re: To tithe or not to tithe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lemon View Post
The basis for giving, in general, be it money, time, talent etc., should ALWAYS be love. If you love God, love your neighbor, love your pastor and church family, and if you love those who are lost, you will be a giver in every possible area INCLUDING finances.

We all must guard against being covetous, its not just me and mine and you and yours. There are most likely folks who do extort money in the name of God - but in my experience, in the apostolic church, I have not seen this as a widespread issue, although I could be ignorant.

I still believe that as a Christian, giving should not be an issue...if it is, we may need to check our motives....just sayin'.
Good point, giving shouldn't be an issue. It becomes an issue when people try to coerce you, pressure you, and judge you about your giving.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertone View Post
I've just finished reading through the Torah and tithing principles were definitely mentioned in Leviticus and Numbers as part of the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Jesus himself referred to it as a matter of the law.
Tithing was around before Moses was around.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Genesis 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
So was blood sacrifice
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
That's true. Abraham tithed ten percent of the spoils of war to Melchizedek. Jacob bargained with God that he would give 10 percent of all that he had IF God would protect him.

* How insolent of Jacob to bargain with God with something that he already owed and God demanded of him.

* Show record of where Abraham tithed of his own personal wealth.

* Show record of where God commanded to receive tithes prior to Moses.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrum View Post
That's true. Abraham tithed ten percent of the spoils of war to Melchizedek. Jacob bargained with God that he would give 10 percent of all that he had IF God would protect him.

* How insolent of Jacob to bargain with God with something that he already owed and God demanded of him.

* Show record of where Abraham tithed of his own personal wealth.

* Show record of where God commanded to receive tithes prior to Moses.
Just because a tenth is mentioned does not mean it is a tithe
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

One big problem with the tithe doctrine is that it automatically disqualifies the first 10% of your income as true giving. After all, if 10% is required then ONLY giving 10% is merely following the law, whether you give cheerfully or not. You have to give MORE than 10% before it starts counting as an offering. I had a pastor who preached (through some convoluted logic) that the official offering should be 5%, that means your total giving would be 10% (tithe) plus 5% (offering) and then everything above and beyond THAT was true giving.

And like I alluded to, tithing cheerfully or not wasn't an issue. It (the tithe) was required so even if you threw it into the offering plate with a grin and a laugh you still had to give beyond that (in this case 15%) before it counted.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
One big problem with the tithe doctrine is that it automatically disqualifies the first 10% of your income as true giving. After all, if 10% is required then ONLY giving 10% is merely following the law, whether you give cheerfully or not. You have to give MORE than 10% before it starts counting as an offering. I had a pastor who preached (through some convoluted logic) that the official offering should be 5%, that means your total giving would be 10% (tithe) plus 5% (offering) and then everything above and beyond THAT was true giving.

And like I alluded to, tithing cheerfully or not wasn't an issue. It (the tithe) was required so even if you threw it into the offering plate with a grin and a laugh you still had to give beyond that (in this case 15%) before it counted.
Randy Where I was at 15 percent was the standard. 10 percent tithe and 5 percent offering..........not an option but a requirement.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Randy Where I was at 15 percent was the standard. 10 percent tithe and 5 percent offering..........not an option but a requirement.
Same...
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
So when you gave 15% you were in effect giving the bare minimum required, which meant it wasn't really giving.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
So when you gave 15% you were in effect giving the bare minimum required, which meant it wasn't really giving.
Well we were being stolen from in the Name of the Lord.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.