Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 PM
A Student of the Word

Re: Tithing is a consecration, not a commandment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Ouch.

Tithing almost ranks up there with Jesus name baptism. lol
For some groups, it ranks right up there with the second coming of Jesus! True! Those who hold to these kinds of views will not easily repent and change their ways. They have too much invested in being accepted by the group. Here's an example:

A question has come up. In the past I have taught that money played no part in the tithing system. Isn’t it true that money is mentioned in the ordinances covering tithing? The answer to both parts of the question is ‘true’. However, money was not part of the actual tithing system, but only as a means to transport the value of the tithe to Jerusalem. Once there, it was to be converted back into non-monetary substances prior to its distribution. This is detailed in Deuteronomy 14:22-29.

This simple bit of scripture contains several problems for those who have developed or accepted man-made doctrines over scriptural doctrines. Not only does this passage instruct us what to do with the tithe that could not be transported to Jerusalem, but how to spend that monetary tithe equivalency when they got there, as well as to 'share' some of the tithe with the priests, the poor and the stranger. After reading the scripture, it sounds like a good fashioned church social to me.

The second problem with this passage, especially when coupled with Numbers 28:7, is that while getting drunk is a definite biblical ‘no-no’, and drinking any alcoholic beverage was absolutely forbidden to certain people, these scriptures teach that the act of drinking wine and strong drink [שֵׁכָר (shay-kawr') an intoxicant, i.e. intensely alcoholic liquor] is not a sin in God’s eyes.

So, one reason for preachers ignoring these passages is because to knowingly teach against them is to publicly accuse of God of being a sinner and a teacher of false doctrine. Now, picture that! Therefore, it is important to keep the saints focused on only those passages that are organizationally ‘acceptable’, and to take only the pastor’s interpretation of scriptures as being authoritative. Yet, what we have witnessed over the past couple of days is that God’s word, when allowed to speak for its self, destroys the doctrines of men.

As an afterthought: Perhaps it is this refusal to teach the Bible for what it actually says, and digging into the meat of the word that is contributing to the general rebellion against non-biblical teaching of all kinds and stripes, from standards to sacrificial giving, to judging Trinitarians to hell over 'their false teaching'. Is rebellion wrong? Depends on what one is rebelling against - and why!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:07 PM
A Student of the Word

Okay kids - I am done.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 PM
A Student of the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
Did you mean the $64,000 question or the $64.00?

Great insight.

When the giving in any local assembly becomes driven by guilt or command rather than willing gladness of heart it becomes less than what God has intended. We've developed over the years a westernized business model of the "church" that has to be financed in some way, the answer being "tithing".
There was an old TV quiz show called the $64,000 question. It also got into trouble when it was learned that the producers were giving some contestants help with the answers. The $64.00 question was used by Grocho Marks (I think) on his quiz show. We are talking the 1950's here.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 11-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I just opened Frame’s The Doctrine of the Christian Life to the section in tithing (I wasn’t looking for it, that’s just where it opened at) and he echoed my church’s Bible study from this past Wednesday. Frame said:

The New Testament does not explicitly require the tithe, although it says much about giving, Its emphasis, in passages like 2 Corinthians 8-9, is that giving should be voluntary and cheerful (2 Cor. 9:7-8), but also generous. In Acts 4:34-37, we read of Christians selling property to meet the needs of their poor. We shall look at their view of poverty in the next chapter. But radical giving seemed to be a rule for them—and a joy.

Newcomers sometimes ask church members how much money they should give to the church. The question seems crass, and church people often find various ways to avoid answering it. But for someone who is new to the Christian community, it is a reasonable question. What would be a good ball-park figure? Well, in one sense God demands all that we have, and sometimes he demands that in literal ways, as when he calls someone to martyrdom or to the poor widow’s moral heroism (Luke 21:1-4). But our inquirer is interested in what would be considered a normal amount, a base from which one may proceed to greater gifts. When I talk to such inquirers, I cannot get out of my head that again and again in the Old Testament the figure of 10 percent recurs. That is the Lord’s portion. It may be that in the New Testament that amount is not strictly required. But surely the “cheerful” giving of 2 Corinthians 9:7 cannot mean much less than that. So I unashamedly recommend to inquirers the tithe, as a beginning of financial discipleship. (p. 801)
http://rdtwot.wordpress.com/
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
As long as it isn't manditory, I think that's a noble approach.

I had the idea that if I ever started a ministry (God forbid!) I'd simply receive financial support without any percentage or amount being manditory. However, I'd offer to allow those that give 10% or more to become "Covenant Partners" with the ministry. I believe there is a blessing in covenanting with the cause of God.
I think it's very noble to make it mandatory.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM
A Student of the Word

I reviewed my posts this AM and cannot believe the typing, spelling, grammar, and left out words and other such problems. I am almost ready to forget even attempting to put together anything like a coherent thought. I guess it is akin to typing in tongues. Sorry kids.

Actually, there is a medical reason for 'some' of those typing problems, it is called dyslexia. While I learned to compassionate for it during my professional years, it seems to be getting a little worse as I get older, or, I am just no longer as careful about it as I once was.

Anyway, I guess my offerings provide an extra exercise in real-time translations. LOLOL

So, have fun.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Stranger in a Strange Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaShaliach View Post
There was an old TV quiz show called the $64,000 question. It also got into trouble when it was learned that the producers were giving some contestants help with the answers. The $64.00 question was used by Grocho Marks (I think) on his quiz show. We are talking the 1950's here.
I plead the fifth