Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Scripture > Tradition

Re: World Wide Revival Proclaimed by UPC

There is "NO SUCH THING AS REVIVAL SCRIPTURALLY THE WAY WE USE THE WORD"

Thread -> http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=12507

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Scripture > Tradition

I know this is going to ruin about 10,000 camp sermons, half the audio tapes out there, and most traveling special speakers (evangelists) best sermons.

But one thing keeping our churches small is revivalism. The belief that God will magically send us people if we do "X" (which changes depending on the speaker, speaking engagement, and how catchy the camp sermon title is).

I have spent alot of time around growing churches outside of our ranks, taking their outreach ministers to dinner for years, buying tons of books, and working in several pentecostal churches that have had good (and in two cases explosive) growth.

I would like to make the suggestion that God wants churches to be lovers of the Word. He wants us to win people through our efforts in tandem with the Holy Spirit he has given us. He will indeed open doors but its up to us to take the time and flat out work to bring in the harvest.

I think alot of my fellow pentecostals are lazy navel gazers. They rarely break 100 adult members and few of their pastors are serious soul winners. The home bible study is dying off.. i see it and it saddens me since its the greatest soul winning tool we have ever had. Its not that it doesnt work... it works better than even in a impersonal age... its that we have the mythology of a word that isn't even in the context. If a church is so dead it needs revival... why not bury it and make room for a new church plant?

We need to break free of extra-biblical teachings and look at the book of Acts as our example. Those guys went door to door, they went to Mars Hill to speak to intellectuals, they went to synagogues, and they stood up and wiitnessed.

There are examples like the Ethopian.. and God does open doors... but where is this garbage about a traveling evangelist coming to town and leading 100 folks to salvation in a single day come from? They just don't mystically come in mass because brother "X" is there... I was born and dedicated in this and after 30 years other than "Evangelastic" stories that can't be proven... its just junk and propaganda. Crusades dont work, they have failed in the phillipines, they have failed in the 2nd great awakening under Whitfield, they have failed over and over and over in america.

Its not about revivalism.. its about the local church getting active, doing large volume outreach to get the word out .. and SPENDING MONEY on EVANGELISM and OUTREACH rather than on BUILDINGS and SALARY.

Just my 2 cents... bombs away

No results found.
No results were found for revival in the version(s):Amplified Bible.
Try refining your search using the form above.

No results found.
No results were found for revival in the version(s):New Living Translation.

No results found.
No results were found for revival in the version(s):New International Version.

This from the New King James Version

Ezra 9:7-9 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)
Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

7 Since the days of our fathers to this day we have been very guilty, and for our iniquities we, our kings, and our priests have been delivered into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, to plunder, and to humiliation, as it is this day.

8 And now for a little while grace has been shown from the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a peg in His holy place, that our God may enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival in our bondage.

9 For we were slaves. Yet our God did not forsake us in our bondage; but He extended mercy to us in the sight of the kings of Persia, to revive us, to repair the house of our God, to rebuild its ruins, and to give us a wall in Judah and Jerusalem.

Pretty thin to spend a ton of time talking about a concept that is extra-biblical at best isnt it? We can twist scripture with word "revival" in this translation.. but is that what a honest reading of the text would give us as a New Testament church that teaches like Jesus and his Apostles?

Revival isnt a magic formula... it isnt anything. The kingdom of God grows when we witness and disciple people with the message that they are guilty under Gods laws and God came in the flesh to pay the penalty Himself in our place.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
I know this is going to ruin about 10,000 camp sermons, half the audio tapes out there, and most traveling special speakers (evangelists) best sermons.

But one thing keeping our churches small is revivalism. The belief that God will magically send us people if we do "X" (which changes depending on the speaker, speaking engagement, and how catchy the camp sermon title is).

I have spent alot of time around growing churches outside of our ranks, taking their outreach ministers to dinner for years, buying tons of books, and working in several pentecostal churches that have had good (and in two cases explosive) growth.

I would like to make the suggestion that God wants churches to be lovers of the Word. He wants us to win people through our efforts in tandem with the Holy Spirit he has given us. He will indeed open doors but its up to us to take the time and flat out work to bring in the harvest.

I think alot of my fellow pentecostals are lazy navel gazers. They rarely break 100 adult members and few of their pastors are serious soul winners. The home bible study is dying off.. i see it and it saddens me since its the greatest soul winning tool we have ever had. Its not that it doesnt work... it works better than even in a impersonal age... its that we have the mythology of a word that isn't even in the context. If a church is so dead it needs revival... why not bury it and make room for a new church plant?

We need to break free of extra-biblical teachings and look at the book of Acts as our example. Those guys went door to door, they went to Mars Hill to speak to intellectuals, they went to synagogues, and they stood up and wiitnessed.

There are examples like the Ethopian.. and God does open doors... but where is this garbage about a traveling evangelist coming to town and leading 100 folks to salvation in a single day come from? They just don't mystically come in mass because brother "X" is there... I was born and dedicated in this and after 30 years other than "Evangelastic" stories that can't be proven... its just junk and propaganda. Crusades dont work, they have failed in the phillipines, they have failed in the 2nd great awakening under Whitfield, they have failed over and over and over in america.

Its not about revivalism.. its about the local church getting active, doing large volume outreach to get the word out .. and SPENDING MONEY on EVANGELISM and OUTREACH rather than on BUILDINGS and SALARY.

Just my 2 cents... bombs away

No results found.
No results were found for revival in the version(s):Amplified Bible.

No results found.
No results were found for revival in the version(s):New Living Translation.

No results found.
No results were found for revival in the version(s):New International Version.

This from the New King James Version

Ezra 9:7-9 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)
Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

7 Since the days of our fathers to this day we have been very guilty, and for our iniquities we, our kings, and our priests have been delivered into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, to plunder, and to humiliation, as it is this day.

8 And now for a little while grace has been shown from the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a peg in His holy place, that our God may enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival in our bondage.

9 For we were slaves. Yet our God did not forsake us in our bondage; but He extended mercy to us in the sight of the kings of Persia, to revive us, to repair the house of our God, to rebuild its ruins, and to give us a wall in Judah and Jerusalem.

Pretty thin to spend a ton of time talking about a concept that is extra-biblical at best isnt it? We can twist scripture with word "revival" in this translation.. but is that what a honest reading of the text would give us as a New Testament church that teaches like Jesus and his Apostles?

Revival isnt a magic formula... it isnt anything. The kingdom of God grows when we witness and disciple people with the message that they are guilty under Gods laws and God came in the flesh to pay the penalty Himself in our place.
I find it hard to disagree with this post....in fact I find myself in just about total agreement here....

Scary.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
There is "NO SUCH THING AS REVIVAL SCRIPTURALLY THE WAY WE USE THE WORD"

Thread -> http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=12507
Sure there is. We have a lot of saints that haven't been around in a while come in and get revived.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Now Deadeye, I sure hope you are not UPC. I would not want the UPC to be saddled with some one like you with such an ugly attitude. That sure could reflect bad on them!

Of course the meaning of "revival" possibly would apply to your needs!

Now is that the kind of response you were looking for? I stated from the start I was not trying to be negative toward the UPC, and as others have said what we are discussing is not particular to the UPC.

Maybe, just maybe, revival will start with deadeye!

BT

Deadeye is UPCI, from what I know.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:

"The only man who has the right to say he is justified by grace alone is the man who has left all to follow Christ." ~Dietrich Bonheoffer, The Cost of Discipleship

"Preachers who should be fishing for men are now too often fishing for compliments from men." ~Leonard Ravenhill
Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Scripture > Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
I find it hard to disagree with this post....in fact I find myself in just about total agreement here....

Scary.
I think everyone is burned out on 100 years of false promises.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
Since you don't believe scripture to be inspired, I guess your looking for the next great revival will be post modern new ageism
Well, to be correct I don't believe ALL scripture is inspired.....i.e, from God. Some is, some isn't. The bible ain't God.

The next great revival, movement, plan....whatever you wish to call it will be labeled by some as "post modern new ageism" I'm sure.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

If so called "world-wide revival" does come, most of us old-timers will probably be agin' it!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Freedom@apostolicidentity .com

The following posted by Bishop Bernard on FB:

David K. Bernard - Thanks for all the kind and encouraging remarks! I will send out a more detailed report on the General Conference soon as soon as we compile and verify information. As Bro. Stoneking said, I believe this Conference is moving us into a new dimension of faith and revival.