Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

Re: Law was an impossible system to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Totally missed what I said about agape and the golden rule. Communication is gone.
well, i understand that we have different perceptions there. But the GR one is a quote? or an accurate paraphrase, anyway--BAM restate it, i've been asking. Our differences @ 'perfected at salvation' seem to be the biggie though...and really i only object on the evidence, it sounds really good in theory
let me just say that i don't know how comfortable i would be with that guy at by back

got any support for this view of different agapes?

Last edited by shazeep; 08-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ.: Baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus in 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I agree. But the point is whether or not man could keep law. You and I both agree man could not. God knew that. But he wanted us to realize it. Law helped us realize it.
Why would God wants us to realize it?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephnxman View Post
To realize that we can do nothing apart from Him?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:53 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Sometimes hidden dangers spring on us suddenly. Those are out of our control. But when one can see the danger, and then refuses to arrest , all in the name of "God is in control", they are forfeiting God given, preventive opportunities.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephnxman View Post

So we don't try to make ourselves righteous and never succeed, in hopes of getting us off a grind mill that never ends.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post

Exactly.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 08-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
well, i understand that we have different perceptions there. But the GR one is a quote? or an accurate paraphrase, anyway--BAM restate it, i've been asking. Our differences @ 'perfected at salvation' seem to be the biggie though...and really i only object on the evidence, it sounds really good in theory
let me just say that i don't know how comfortable i would be with that guy at by back

got any support for this view of different agapes?
It's not different agapes. It's different degrees of agape. None can manifest it to the level God did, primarily because he's God, but also because he's sinless and we can't die for someone as his incarnation did in agape love. That's why it says we'd only die for someone who is good to us, and that is scarce.

Romans 5: 7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Last edited by mfblume; 08-06-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Banned

nice! i'll have to sleep on that, but it is support. weird how v 7 seems to differentiate a righteous and a good man, hmm.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
nice! i'll have to sleep on that, but it is support. weird how v 7 seems to differentiate a righteous and a good man, hmm.
Clarke explained...

The Jews divide men, as to their moral character, into four classes: 1. Those who say, "what is mine, is my own; and what is thine, is thy own." These may be considered the just, who render to every man his due; or rather, they who neither give nor take. The second class is made up of those who say, "what is mine, is thine; and what is thine, is mine." These are they who accommodate each other, who borrow and lend. The third class is composed of those who say, "What is mine, is thine; and what is thine, let it be thine." These are the pious, or good, who give up all for the benefit of their neighbour. The fourth class are those who say, "What is mine, is mine; and what is thine, shall be mine." These are the impious, who take all, and give nothing. Now, for one of the first class, who would die? There is nothing amiable in his life or conduct that would so endear him to any man, as to induce him to risk his life to save such a person.

Peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.] This is for one of the third class, who gives all he has for the good of others. This is the truly benevolent man, whose life is devoted to the public good: for such a person, peradventure, some who have had their lives perhaps preserved by his bounty, would even dare to die: but such cases may be considered merely as possible: they exist, it is true, in romance; and we find a few rare instances of friends exposing themselves to death for their friends.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Banned

many soldiers die with the belief in their hearts that they are dying for the freedoms of those they may not agree with or like; there is even a cliche they like to use about it, i'm sure you know the one. Regardless of my belief in the matter, and soldiers guarding poppy fields etc. their suicide rate tells me that many men of conscience join for the right reasons, even if they...wake up? later.