Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
depression, holy ghost, salvation, suicide

Old 09-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Re: Mental Illness Revisited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Yes, it says the prayer of faith shall heal the sick. So, if you aren't healed then the scripture is wrong?
Your interpretation is wrong.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Your interpretation is wrong.
Hence there lies the whole issue, because people can't imagine that the Bible isn't always going to validate their personal experiences, nor will their personal experiences always line up with the Bible. If they never see miraculous healing of cancer then bless God, it isn't possible for cancer to be healed? If they never see someone healed of bipolar than it just doesn't happen?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hence there lies the whole issue, because people can't imagine that the Bible isn't always going to validate their personal experiences, nor will their personal experiences always line up with the Bible. If they never see miraculous healing of cancer then bless God, it isn't possible for cancer to be healed? If they never see someone healed of bipolar than it just doesn't happen?
No one said it isn't possible.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
No one said it isn't possible.
Then it isn't possible to be able to have a sound mind through Jesus Christ?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llambert View Post
This is such an interesting and meaningful subject to me.

I believe that some of us have been gifted by God with great sensitivities that other people simply don't have. Some people can be very damaged by things that other people just shrug off. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard someone say, "Just get over it...."

I know people who get very emotionally upset at just the mention of any of the following words:

-Religion

- organized religion

- church

-Jesus Christ

-hell

-Pentecostal

Those people in the church world who just say "Get over it" may never become sensitive to why others have strong reactions and honestly, I think waiting for them to become sensitized isn't the way to go. That's like relying on other people to save or deliver us.

I could really see how being in a loud church environment could not be a good fit for some of us, so I want to ask this question:

Has anyone been in Oneness of God in Jesus Christ fellowship services where people receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit with speaking in tongues as the initial evidence and there wasn't a kind of mass hysteria, emotional contagion sort of atmosphere (people yelling, screaming, hollering, running the aisles)?

I was filled in an InterVarsity prayer meeting in my HS at age 17 and come to think of it now, that meeting wasn't your typical "Pentecostal" service.

What happened was that we would have prayer and bible study every Wed after school. On one Wed, as we were getting ready to pray out, two of the club members came in late. One said that he had gone to the other's church the Sun before and had received the Holy Ghost baptism and that it felt like electricity running all through his body. I didn't think that much of it. As we were praying out, the prayer became fervent. I opened my eyes to see my classmate on his knees praying intently. I asked the club member whose church the electricity guy had gone to

"What's happening to him?"

and he said, "He's getting the Holy Ghost."

So in my mind, I said, "God, give me the Holy Ghost, too."

The next thing you know, I was speaking in a new language.

One other club member began to speak in a new language, as well as my classmate who was on his knees.

None of us fell out, screamed, rolled on the floor, barked like dogs or demonstrated any other dramatic manifestations.

Now when I went to the club member's church (an "apostolic" church, I'd prefer not to say which organization), the normal atmosphere in which people received the Holy Ghost was very, very loud. We would dance on a Sunday night to the point that the floor would shake and the dust would rise from the rugs. Shouting and dancing were very much the norm. The more you "shouted", the more you were cheered on and affirmed as "belonging".

Don't get me wrong, I think free emotional expression has its place in church. I still dance in church when I have the mind to. But I think the danger is when those of us who are more highly sensitive get caught up in the emotional atmosphere of the church world, we can go into the soulish realm and get out from under God's divine protection.
That's funny now that you mention that, when I received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost in the Church of God the pastor told us to lineup in the front and tonight that we were going to receive the Holy Ghost.

Honestly up to that point I had never heard about the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. So all of us youth right down the line received the Baptism but there was no hooping and hollering not even any music in the background. But yet there were tongues aflame.

After we left UPC and started attending AG churches,I noticed that the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was much like my Church of God experience. In fairness I have seen some very wild AG services and they will open the altars and the get flooded with those seeking the Holy Ghost. I think the last one I saw was on Pentecost Sunday.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
That's funny now that you mention that, when I received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost in the Church of God the pastor told us to lineup in the front and tonight that we were going to receive the Holy Ghost.

Honestly up to that point I had never heard about the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. So all of us youth right down the line received the Baptism but there was no hooping and hollering not even any music in the background. But yet there were tongues aflame.

After we left UPC and started attending AG churches,I noticed that the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was much like my Church of God experience. In fairness I have seen some very wild AG services and they will open the altars and the get flooded with those seeking the Holy Ghost. I think the last one I saw was on Pentecost Sunday.
The Industrial Church Complex
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Then it isn't possible to be able to have a sound mind through Jesus Christ?
Of course it is possible. That doesn't mean that everyone who knows God will have a sounds mind or they are not right with God. Big difference.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Of course it is possible. That doesn't mean that everyone who knows God will have a sounds mind or they are not right with God. Big difference.
Is it also possible that they don't know God?

I mean for Jesus to be ousting individuals who were doing MIRACLES in His name, then telling them He NEVER knew them, is a pretty strong indicator that there are those who will be surprised to know that they NEVER knew God.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it also possible that they don't know God?

I mean for Jesus to be ousting individuals who were doing MIRACLES in His name, then telling them He NEVER knew them, is a pretty strong indicator that there are those who will be surprised to know that they NEVER knew God.
It's possible.

Is it possible for someone who knows God to be majorly depressed?

Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Comfort ye.....comfort ye, my people.

This means YOU comfort the people. You tell them things will be okay. You support them and love them.