Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: World Wide Revival Proclaimed by UPC

The Hemphills came to our ALJC church in 1969 for three (I think it was three) nights of service back in 1969. They sang and Joel preached. At that time they sang a song called The Watchman or Watchman. That's the only time I've heard it. I've never been able to find that song anywhere since then.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship

Last edited by Sam; 10-05-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Best Hair on AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Agree! But one thing I'm asking I guess is how much damage, (and that's probably not a good way to express it, because God is going to do whatever He chooses to do in spite of me and anyone else) but what harm comes to the work of the church when people are making these big claims of "End Time Revival" and "World Wide Revival" and nothing is any different for the most part than it has been in the past?

Part of what I heard on the internet link sounded more like a pep-rally than Bible!

To any on the forum that are UPCI, please don't take this wrong I'm not just picking it to pieces because it's the UPC. Have family much involved in the organization, you'd be surprised to know how much involved. But I guess what I am saying is "I've heard this before!"

Enough thinkin...
BT

I understand that you're not taking shots at the UPC with this question. To be certain, they're not the only ones who do this "End-time" harvest sorta thing. Many do.

The answer to "How much damage" that I would give is, "A Lot." And I think it happens this way....the message is sent that it's God that suddenly activates the "Revival" knob and suddenly people start pouring into our churches. Then, when it doesn't happen (because it never does) we settle back into our easy chairs of Christian comfort buying our Christian t-shirts, Christian CDs, Christian books, watching Christian TV, and ordering new Christian bumper stickers, and nothing happens at all to change the world. Some ole, same ole.

The message is sent that we don't need to really do anything, that we don't need to engage the neighbor in friendship through bbq's, block parties, walks, etc., that will lead to a spiritual dialogue, that we don't need to "Lift up our eyes" to the harvest field, or that we don't need to invest ourselves into the culture....that instead, God will wave the magic wand of revival and we'll just sit back and collect the tithe and get ready for the trumpet to blow.

That's the damage I think it does. So often, the message that is sent, is what is NOT said. For example, when we schedule a "Faith Healer" to come to our church and we get all pumped for our aching back to finally quit hurting, what we've been told is that God won't do anything for us unless a big name comes to town. So when we talk about end-time revival, we're sending the message that it's really no use to work in the fields of harvest that are before us right now at this very moment in the form of neighbors, family, friends, co-workers, etc.

I know of people SO given to reaching people that they center their entire lives around it, even to the point of going through the same drive-thru windows at the same time on the same days so as to develop new relationships with new people, to potentially open the door to a "God discussion." Those people? They're not waiting on an end-time revival. They're getting the job done RIGHT NOW.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

Our church has baptized over 100 since the latter part of August and still believe the revival awakening is ahead of us.
1/2 of the Methodists churches in America didn't have a baptism last year. As former holiness, they need revival.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Honorary Admin

I have heard this whole "Revival is coming this year" thing since 1976, when I was saved! In fact, I used to preach it all the time. You know what, I really don't care about "revival" on the scale. I'm responsible for the church I'm privileged to pastor. I simply want to see people come to Jesus in a real relationship capacity. I'm not going to hang my hat or my future fulfillment on some prophesied "move" that's been spoken about for who knows how long. If it comes, it will come regardless of what I think about it. I'm all for it and would love to be part of it, but I'm just going to be about my Father's business until He comes or I go to Him. I'm not in the reaping department, I'm in the sowing department. Reaping is up to Him, sowing is up to me! If I do my part, He'll do His, of that I am certain. Other than that, I'll let the folks who have been saying it's "just around the corner" continue to do that and hype each other to death, waiting, waiting, and waiting. I'm not waiting, I'm going to be doing!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

I had a former employee with a small shop he ran in his spare time. He sold a bumper sticker that said
Jesus is Coming
Look busy.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Much can and will be said under the spell of emotion. With thousands screaming in agreement, a man can feel much liberty to say what he's always wanted to say, or, he simply knows deep down that the response will be overwhelming.

Over my 30 year experience of being a Christian, I've heard so many say things in the heat of the moment, but time revealed another outcome. This is one main reason people become skeptical about Religion and Faith.

The term or word, Revival, has become synonymous with our passion to be filled with emotion rather than Truth. This reminds of, “Never Cry Wolf”. The first time, everyone is elated. When the Wolf doesn’t come, the next warning is drawn into a maybe. The third time, maybe has become “Not so”.

I hate to say this, but our Faith has its gimmicks. We use “Smoke and Mirrors” to create an illusion because people want the rush of Religion, not Truth. Large Conferences such as General Conference is not Monday morning, when the grind of life and responsibility are at its best. In fact I’ve noticed, when our Church returns from meetings like this, people come back on top of the World only to find that the reality of Life is waiting for them.

When the slump hits, I’m left to bring people out of the hole that they fell in when they realized life is not Camp Meeting or this so called Revival that they just heard about.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

I think the church of Laodicea is filled with American Christians, UPC and non-UPC alike.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 AM

I really, really, really hope that a Worldwide world changing, life changing revival doesn't start with the UPCI Houston GC....because that would make all the critics, naysayers, scoffers, railers, and gainsayers on this forum look bad....and we wouldn't want that would we....
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
I really, really, really hope that a Worldwide world changing, life changing revival doesn't start with the UPCI Houston GC....because that would make all the critics, naysayers, scoffers, railers, and gainsayers on this forum look bad....and we wouldn't want that would we....

Now Deadeye, I sure hope you are not UPC. I would not want the UPC to be saddled with some one like you with such an ugly attitude. That sure could reflect bad on them!

Of course the meaning of "revival" possibly would apply to your needs!

Now is that the kind of response you were looking for? I stated from the start I was not trying to be negative toward the UPC, and as others have said what we are discussing is not particular to the UPC.

Maybe, just maybe, revival will start with deadeye!

BT

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
You have a real attitude problem, don't you?