Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
A Student of the Word

Re: Tithing is a consecration, not a commandment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
Did the apostle's depend on others supporting them and their ministry?

Paul was for sure, The others? Don't know, but they were all authorized to receive support - arguments to follow later.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
A Student of the Word

And, one more:

This portion of the Wikipedia write up is Okay, but it misses two very important points.

Quote:
These tithes were in reality more like taxes for the people of Israel and were mandatory, not optional giving. This tithe was distributed locally "within thy gates" Deuteronomy 14:28 to support the Levites and assist the poor.

The Levites, also known as the tribe of Levi, were descendants of Levi. They were assistants to the Israelite priests (who were the children of Aaron and, therefore, a subset of the Tribe of Levi) and did not own or inherit a territorial patrimony Numbers 18:21-28. Their function in society was that of temple functionaries, teachers and trusted civil servants who supervised the weights and scales and witnessed agreements.
The last item first. As the principle “…temple functionaries, teachers and trusted civil servants…” of the nation, they enjoyed a very nice income.

As to the inheritance of land. Except for Jerusalem, there was set round and about each of the of the Levitical cities land for crops and livestock. There are a number of references, but one should do, Numbers 35:2-8. Using this reference, the amount of land set aside for the tribe of Levi was about equal to the land allocated to the tribe of Benjamin. So, in addition to land, crops and livestock produced from the suburbs of 48 cities and the income from their professions, the tribe did rather well.

The tithe, then, was primarily for the required division and distribution of food in the Temple and around Jerusalem.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 11-04-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM
A Student of the Word

Is this quick overview of the subject of any value to the folks here?

I realize that I am working over a holy cow here. But, letting the word of God stand on its own merit seems like the best possible approach to take. There is also the extra biblical approach. What do those who take the law of God very serious, the Hassidic Jews, as well as most of the other observant Jews think about tithing? They do not pay tithes, nor do Most Messianic Jews - did anyone know that? Ever wonder why? Ask a Rabbi - he will tell you, "It is a sin to give or receive tithes, it is against the Law of God until the Temple is rebuilt and the Levitical priesthood is reestablished, just as it was during the Babylonian captivity." It is not 'Bible', but it is something to think about.

Added note: No Rabbi or synagogue was ever (even now) the recipient of mandated tithes - they were not authorized by the Law to receive such income, so they have to support themselves and the assembly has to support/maintain the synagogue. There is a moral there for us to.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 11-04-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Scripture > Tradition

Your right on Target HaSahaliach

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
A Student of the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
Your right on Target HaSahaliach
Thanks, I needed that! LOLOL

Of course, I also happened to think of one more note to add.

How did the people support and maintain the Temple? Answer: Every male 20 years of age and older, throughout the world, was required to pay a half-shekel every year (Temple Tax). Jesus didn't think too highly of that revenue generating system either. See Matthew 17:24-27. Not to mention His thoughts concerning the Temple money changers.

Today I guess we would call it holding a fundraiser.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 11-04-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaShaliach View Post
And, one more:

This portion of the Wikipedia write up is Okay, but it misses two very important points.

The last item first. As the principle “…temple functionaries, teachers and trusted civil servants…” of the nation, they enjoyed a very nice income.

As to the inheritance of land. Except for Jerusalem, there was set round and about each of the of the Levitical cities land for crops and livestock. There are a number of references, but one should do, Numbers 35:2-8. Using this reference, the amount of land set aside for the tribe of Levi was about equal to the land allocated to the tribe of Benjamin. So, in addition to land, crops and livestock produced from the suburbs of 48 cities and the income from their professions, the tribe did rather well.

The tithe, then, was primarily for the required division and distribution of food in the Temple and around Jerusalem.

Thank you for all this!! It's a college education in biblical giving!! I love this!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
What exactly do you mean by a "biblical tithe"?

Is it a sin to give a tithe in the same manner that Abraham or Jacob did? Is that what you mean by a "biblical tithe"?
It is recorded that Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils of a battle one time. There is no other reference to him ever tithing before or after.

Jacob promised to give a tithe but there is no record that he ever did or did not. He was away for many years. Where and to whom would he have given a tithe?

Other than the single reference to Abraham giving a tithe to the priest Melchizedek there is no recorded instance of anyone from Adam through Moses tithing. The tithe system of 3 tithes was set up in the Mosaic law which was the Old Testament/Covenant and is not binding on the New Testament Church.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Scripture > Tradition

I am still waiting on those who are hardcore about not paying tithes equaling robbing God to come in here with guns blazing... yet its totally silent.

Once again the "conservative" position is buried by historical facts and theres no pushback by those who teach not tithing to a local church as a sin.... even if they blast it out there in the safe setting of a pulpit.

Name-calling is the last resort of an exhausted mind.

When people have the facts, they argue the facts.

When they don't have the facts, they call names.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocrypha View Post
I am still waiting on those who are hardcore about not paying tithes equaling robbing God to come in here with guns blazing... yet its totally silent.

Once again the "conservative" position is buried by historical facts and theres no pushback by those who teach not tithing to a local church as a sin.... even if they blast it out there in the safe setting of a pulpit.
well i pay tithes on and off, at church, but my view of tithes though doesnt necasserily involve the church i go to. it is more offerings than just 10%. many times have i saved back my tithes/offerings from church and gave it to the homless on the street, or people who were in need.

me and my wife tithed/gave to rescue mission, and God richly blessed us for that.

the early church gathered money, for the poor and the needy.
the thing where i draw the line is people use the scripture in malachi i think that states no tithe you will be under a curse, and they preach it.

I think we need to leave behind the word tithe and place the word offering on it, cause that is what it is
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

What would happen if we took our tithe and placed it in a second account and used that account to individually help others regularly?