Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: MMA--Mixed Martial Arts

The Brazilian Ju Jitsu guys always are best. Ever since the Gracies most of the MMAs are training in it some

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
The Brazilian Ju Jitsu guys always are best. Ever since the Gracies most of the MMAs are training in it some
I like the fact that they are training in all the original specialties. Most camps have a Ju Jitsu coach, a grappling coach, a boxing coach, a kick boxing coach among others.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE=JTULLOCK;593375]I am a fan of the UFC--Ultimate Fighting Championship. It is also known as MMA....If against, why? If for, why?

I now view this as a sport due to the sportsmanship of the competitors. I throughly enjoy these and often order them on Pay-per-view. So what do you all think about them? >>>

1. It is unnecessary violence, for merely entertainment and money. The components of high athleticism and "sportsmanship" in this activity do not undo its core nature--the intentional near brutality of humans toward humans.

2. It normalizes, trivializes, or glorifies such behavior in the sight of children. Many or most children today do not have sufficient countervailing influences (meaning a good family) to undo these effects. (As an "inner city" el.ed. teacher, I think I've seen such effects on school playgrounds. But who knows, could also be the more prevalent and violent "rap culture" influence.)

3. Increased normalization of ritualized violence desensitizes the entire society. Read what happened at the Roman Coliseum, early centuries.

4. The goal is to hurt, bloody, or perhaps maim the opponent by any "legal" means. This goal is not the same goal with other sports--not even traditional wrestling. But if I'm wrong there about other sports--and that *is* the goal, then other sport is very ungodly too.

Oh yes, the "sport" of boxing is of a similar ilk, where men in the course of their jobs have punched each other into comas, or have (over time) beaten each other into half brain-dead incoherent states (heard Muhammad Ali speak lately?) all in the name of "sports" and your entertainment. After all, there's an aspect of art and high drama to their performances. Of course, Malchus' chopped off ear was restored by Jesus Christ, but Mike Tyson's victim had to find a different healer. (Can ya...'ear me now?... tap, tap.)

Admittedly, I have not seen any MMA, but have read about how it struggled to become even legal, due to its history of brutality.

Apparently, some fine Christian men and women are able to compartmentalize all the above--to shunt it away to a different brain circuit on Sunday morning, and get down to pray through with a sinner at the altar--that the seeker might receive the Spirit of the "Prince of Peace" into their hearts and tongues.
Mark Bennett
Sacramento

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: "
Paul, (or some say Paul)
Tarsus.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

I was watching a fight the other night between two guys I really hadn't heard of, but I noticed one of the guys had written on his shirt "Jesus didn't tap!". Kinda silly, but when you think about it, Jesus really was the Ultimate Fighter.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

[QUOTE=MarcBee;594194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
I am a fan of the UFC--Ultimate Fighting Championship. It is also known as MMA....If against, why? If for, why?

I now view this as a sport due to the sportsmanship of the competitors. I throughly enjoy these and often order them on Pay-per-view. So what do you all think about them? >>>

1. It is unnecessary violence, for merely entertainment and money. The components of high athleticism and "sportsmanship" in this activity do not undo its core nature--the intentional near brutality of humans toward humans.

2. It normalizes, trivializes, or glorifies such behavior in the sight of children. Many or most children today do not have sufficient countervailing influences (meaning a good family) to undo these effects. (As an "inner city" el.ed. teacher, I think I've seen such effects on school playgrounds. But who knows, could also be the more prevalent and violent "rap culture" influence.)

3. Increased normalization of ritualized violence desensitizes the entire society. Read what happened at the Roman Coliseum, early centuries.

4. The goal is to hurt, bloody, or perhaps maim the opponent by any "legal" means. This goal is not the same goal with other sports--not even traditional wrestling. But if I'm wrong there about other sports--and that *is* the goal, then other sport is very ungodly too.

Oh yes, the "sport" of boxing is of a similar ilk, where men in the course of their jobs have punched each other into comas, or have (over time) beaten each other into half brain-dead incoherent states (heard Muhammad Ali speak lately?) all in the name of "sports" and your entertainment. After all, there's an aspect of art and high drama to their performances. Of course, Malchus' chopped off ear was restored by Jesus Christ, but Mike Tyson's victim had to find a different healer. (Can ya...'ear me now?... tap, tap.)

Admittedly, I have not seen any MMA, but have read about how it struggled to become even legal, due to its history of brutality.

Apparently, some fine Christian men and women are able to compartmentalize all the above--to shunt it away to a different brain circuit on Sunday morning, and get down to pray through with a sinner at the altar--that the seeker might receive the Spirit of the "Prince of Peace" into their hearts and tongues.Mark Bennett
Sacramento

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: "
Paul, (or some say Paul)
Tarsus.

Uh actually yeah. Look if you are in the middle of the Sunday morning or evening service and your mind flashes to the last UFC fight you saw it might be one of two things. First the preacher is horrible and needs to quit or #2 it is an issue that needs to be resolved (anything taking place of God worship is not good thus one needs to stop watching). There is nothing at all wrong with this stuff. Infact my pastor watches it and he is one of the best and most holy people I know. Thanks for your opinion MB, but for me the guide you have given doesn't fit.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev. Duane Williams View Post
I was watching a fight the other night between two guys I really hadn't heard of, but I noticed one of the guys had written on his shirt "Jesus didn't tap!". Kinda silly, but when you think about it, Jesus really was the Ultimate Fighter.
I saw that too. It was in the Houston Alexander fight. Good thought!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Sister Alvear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post

Yeah, I know I trained them....

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Yeah, I know I trained them....

So you can kick the devil out of anyone while in the church house and out? Good!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Sister Alvear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
So you can kick the devil out of anyone while in the church house and out? Good!

Training is a part of it you know...

Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Sister Alvear

and now good by for a while....ladies do have to stop training and fix them men some lunch...thanks to Eve...