Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Re: Prophets

end time prophecy teacher are a dime a dozen. The prophetic gifts are to help edify the church or edify us. The endtime prophecy states what will be confirmed either by what Christ did back then in relation to the rapture or what He will do and what will happen. The prophetic gifts that edify confirm what did happen due to Christ or what Christ will do to,for,through us. I believe the five fold ministry verse you have used is not talking about teaching of the endtime some much as it is the use of revelation and knowledge from Jesus to edify us the church
Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
end time prophecy teacher are a dime a dozen. The prophetic gifts are to help edify the church or edify us. The endtime prophecy states what will be confirmed either by what Christ did back then in relation to the rapture or what He will do and what will happen. The prophetic gifts that edify confirm what did happen due to Christ or what Christ will do to,for,through us. I believe the five fold ministry verse you have used is not talking about teaching of the endtime some much as it is the use of revelation and knowledge from Jesus to edify us the church
Actually, I am not doing this to study endtime prophecy. In fact, I have every intention of avoiding that trap altogether. I am doing this more to learn about the nature of God than anything else. What makes Him tick, how far He lets His people go before He decides it's time for judgement, how those who have been successful at interacting with Him pulled it off, that sort of thing. All this endtime business is just a trap, as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Ya know, it's funny how anytime the word "prophet" is mentioned so many people immediately think of endtime prophecy. Oh well. Guess that's an indicator of how we've been programmed to think.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Actually, I am not doing this to study endtime prophecy. In fact, I have every intention of avoiding that trap altogether. I am doing this more to learn about the nature of God than anything else. What makes Him tick, how far He lets His people go before He decides it's time for judgement, how those who have been successful at interacting with Him pulled it off, that sort of thing. All this endtime business is just a trap, as far as I am concerned.
Agreed. End time prophecy is very important, but all I need to know is God is coming, be right or be left-behind. I have not studied the prophet books. But I have read through them. One thing I see is that when God is speaking through them He is very specific, IMO. It also seems that the prophet speaks in his own persona then suddenly it seems that God starts speaking. I think that a lot of the underlining in those books is that God is always speaking. Though at times we do not hear Him. Maybe we are not listening close enough or maybe He wants us to only hear specific things. But from what I see, and I could be wrong is the when He chooses to speak it is direct and specific. But the messenger is so much in the spirit that God can and does freely speak through them. It is almost as if the prophet's way of life is being in the spirit- it has become the persons lifestyle.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
Agreed. End time prophecy is very important, but all I need to know is God is coming, be right or be left-behind. I have not studied the prophet books. But I have read through them. One thing I see is that when God is speaking through them He is very specific, IMO. It also seems that the prophet speaks in his own persona then suddenly it seems that God starts speaking. I think that a lot of the underlining in those books is that God is always speaking. Though at times we do not hear Him. Maybe we are not listening close enough or maybe He wants us to only hear specific things. But from what I see, and I could be wrong is the when He chooses to speak it is direct and specific. But the messenger is so much in the spirit that God can and does freely speak through them. It is almost as if the prophet's way of life is being in the spirit- it has become the persons lifestyle.
I hear ya. I am sure some people are going to say I am looking to find out how far I can go before getting into trouble with God, but one of the things I would like to find out is what has to happen for God to reach that point where His mind switches gears from mercy to judgement. It may be one of those hidden secrets that God doesn't let us humans in on, but I'd like to know where He's at in His mind when that stick breaks the proverbial camel's back.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Rico, Check out the book, The Hebrew Prophets. Look in Judaica because it was written from a Jewish perspective--not Christian. It is just what you write you are looking for. The author--name escapes me now but I can find it if you want it--writes about what motivated the prophets of the OT. And, of course, if you get at the prophets heart you will get at the mind of God. One scripture I think you should use as a foundation to your study that supports your reasoning from your first post is Eph. 3:5 "Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit." Paul said that the knowledge of Christ was "now" revealed by the apostles AND prophets.
This is such a key to discerning true apostles and prophets. I believe we have them today--God placed them in the church and the church has not passed away (Eph. 4:11) and gave them as gifts to men---but I believe, based on Eph. 3:5, they will possess the knowledge of Jesus Christ. And will be able to preach and proclaim the doctrine of God (Titus 2:10). The good ol' "revelation of Jesus Christ" as we say. I think this is a minimum critera for a present day apostle or prophet--thus a Trinitarian could not be an apostle or prophet, in my opinion. Possibly called--but can never walk in the fullness of the office without the knowledge of Jesus Chirst. However, to be in an office of an apostle or prophet is quite a different thing then prophesying with a simple spiritual gift of prophesy. I think God could use anyone with the gift of prophesy. But all that prophesy are not a prophets or apostles.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U376977 View Post
Rico, Check out the book, The Hebrew Prophets. Look in Judaica because it was written from a Jewish perspective--not Christian. It is just what you write you are looking for. The author--name escapes me now but I can find it if you want it--writes about what motivated the prophets of the OT. And, of course, if you get at the prophets heart you will get at the mind of God. One scripture I think you should use as a foundation to your study that supports your reasoning from your first post is Eph. 3:5 "Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit." Paul said that the knowledge of Christ was "now" revealed by the apostles AND prophets.
This is such a key to discerning true apostles and prophets. I believe we have them today--God placed them in the church and the church has not passed away (Eph. 4:11) and gave them as gifts to men---but I believe, based on Eph. 3:5, they will possess the knowledge of Jesus Christ. And will be able to preach and proclaim the doctrine of God (Titus 2:10). The good ol' "revelation of Jesus Christ" as we say. I think this is a minimum critera for a present day apostle or prophet--thus a Trinitarian could not be an apostle or prophet, in my opinion. Possibly called--but can never walk in the fullness of the office without the knowledge of Jesus Chirst. However, to be in an office of an apostle or prophet is quite a different thing then prophesying with a simple spiritual gift of prophesy. I think God could use anyone with the gift of prophesy. But all that prophesy are not a prophets or apostles.
Thanks. I will look for it. I went to the Bible book store in this area, specifically looking for a book that deals just with the prophets. Unfortunately, I had no luck. The guy from the store even suggested I try their website because they are nationwide. Still no luck. I will do a search using the title you gave me. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I believe the Gospel of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
His thought are higher than our thoughts..............

Why don't you seek the mind of Christ by following the example that Jesus left us? Study Jesus, His reactions, His attitude, His desires. You may have a difficult time understanding God the Father unless you study His attributes but Jesus is much more accessible to us in that He is God with us.

Job 33:6-7, 1 John 2:6, Rom 15:1-3, Phil 2:5-8, John 13:15, 1 Peter 2:21-22, Matt 16:24
Respectfully speaking Miz, If you are filled with the Spirit of Christ Jesus, then your thoughts should be on the same level, as His. We do have the mind of Christ.

In Isa 55:9 , God was addressing "the wicked and the unrighteous man". (vs 7)

I don't perceive you as being wicked or unrighteous.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Really interesting thread cause its stuff I have tried to search for myself.My first 16 years growing up I never was exposed to anything dealing with the gift or the office of a prophet except like at campmeeting when I did go and hear Bro. T.W Barnes. Because my second pastor was from under the same pastor that"leeriness" kinda carried over.I came in contact with some at a non UPC church and it scared me because of the manner in which they presented themselves....it was all calling out for judgement....
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

It wasnt until several years later at another church I went up to get prayed for....scared to death....afraid all my failures and mistakes would be revealed....even with that fear I still went because I was so tired of the uncertainty and fear in my life....He either loved me or He didnt...He was either a God of mercy or He wasnt....to make a long story short it was one of the top 3 mind blowing and uplifting encounters of my life.7 years later God is STILL bringing those things to pass.