Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Kings of Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
I think you are missing what I am saying. I like the music. But it is not for everyone. This type of music DOES NOT affect me that I know of. I am the same person I am with the music as I am without it. Music doesn't affect everyone the same. If someone has an issue with music then they don't need to listen. Of course if someone is trying to act different or truely be different they might not need to listen. It really comes down to what you feel you can handle. God gives us the ability to choose for a reason. I don't think that this music is for everyone though.
Your "test" though was an extreme change from being a non-gangster to a gangster and my point is that the way music affects us spiritually is far more subtle and not a radical change over night. It's like the old frog in boiling water.

BTW the issue is not music. The issue was music that sings about certain lifestyles or acts that apparently we all know are wrong. God gave us the ability to choose to sin, that does not mean some of us are ok with sinning and some of us are not.

It's not all about being changed into a different person, much less over night.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
FYI Prax, I never said it was good for anyone to listen to it....I made the choice to listen to it. I, in fact, just started and don't even own any of their music though I will at some point.
I knew what your point was from the beginning., My point is or was the person that thinks they are not being affected because they are not turned into a gangster over night or at all, is fooling themselves. I would say it is good for nobody, much less a Christian who is supposed to be separate from the world. That does not mean all secular music is bad but clearly we just identified the music of this group as more than just nice secular music to listen to but one that promotes a certain un-Christian lifestyle.

If you want to listen to it that is one thing, but I find it hard to accept that some would try to justify that this is music only a strong Christian would listen to...that is just absurd. I have a hard time imagining that a strong Paul or Peter would just sit and listen to this and run out and buy their CDs so they can keep listening...all in the name of being a Strong Christian, not because the music edifies their spiritual selves, rather it feeds the carnal self

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am finding it hard to understand why one would want to "handle" something as vile and blasphemous as Holy Roller Novacain?

JT, we agree on a lot of things around here. And I am not one who opposes all secular music out of hand.

However, I am finding your arugments in this tread hard to follow....
Agreed

Old 05-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I knew what your point was from the beginning., My point is or was the person that thinks they are not being affected because they are not turned into a gangster over night or at all, is fooling themselves. I would say it is good for nobody, much less a Christian who is supposed to be separate from the world. That does not mean all secular music is bad but clearly we just identified the music of this group as more than just nice secular music to listen to but one that promotes a certain un-Christian lifestyle.

If you want to listen to it that is one thing, but I find it hard to accept that some would try to justify that this is music only a strong Christian would listen to...that is just absurd. I have a hard time imagining that a strong Paul or Peter would just sit and listen to this and run out and buy their CDs so they can keep listening...all in the name of being a Strong Christian, not because the music edifies their spiritual selves, rather it feeds the carnal self
great....now I have to run out and buy new bracelets...WWPAPD...what would Peter and Paul do....hey what about Mary...shoot...does this mean I can't listen to "Puff the magic dragon" anymore?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Exactly why would a "strong Christian" want to listen to something that stirred up affections for the wrong kind of lifestyle?
Quote:
Delta (someone vastly more liberal than I) disagrees with you.
Quote:
So it's ok to listen to music that stirs up affections for the wrong lifestyle if you are a strong Christian? Or maybe if you are a weak Christian you'd be more inclined to give into the temptation of listening to that stuff to begin with?
Honestly, I don't listen to a lot of non-Christian music. Personally I like music that stirs my affections for Christ. However, there is music that is so awesome and so great that it is worth listening to.

In the past I have struggled with music and the emotions that certain types of music can bring. Because of that I am careful what I listen to and I wouldn't want to offend a weaker brother or sister by recommending they listen to something that could cause them to struggle with their flesh.

The truth is that most of the lyrics to these songs can be interpreted in many different ways. There is not a lot of profanity or blatant hostility. It is just the music of our generation and nonchristians singing and writing about things they are passionate about.

Kings Of Leon is probably one of the best bands to come around in years. Their music is amazing.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjen01 View Post
well....to the pure all things are pure.
you still taking execption to what I posted?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:

Who said this? I said that a strong Christian can listen to whatever they want to, it is their choice. That choice might not be the right one for them though. Listening to the music has nothing to do with being a strong christian. Most strong christians (by your assestment of what a strong christian is) won't listen to this and won't like it. I consider myself a strong christian, but I know people more hard core than I that would be considered liberal in some circles. I was not and will not make any equivocation that listening to this music is for a strong christians only or anything. Think you might have missunderstood what I was trying to say. Someone that is a strong christian by mosts standards won't even touch this. FYI I am not calling anyone a strong or weak christian if they listen or not.

For those of you that don't 'understand' what I am trying to say is that the music is awesome, IMO. I listen to it. Not everyone has to or needs to. For those of you that don't know me I am the same dude before listening to the music as I am after. Maybe you all think that I am a super spiritual person. I am not. I go to church and worship God. But I am in no way a person that is worthy of leadership or whatever.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

For the record 99 % of what I listen to is Christian music...specifically the Hillsong type. I rarely listen to this type of music, but I like it and will purchase some of it I am sure.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
Honestly, I don't listen to a lot of non-Christian music. Personally I like music that stirs my affections for Christ. However, there is music that is so awesome and so great that it is worth listening to.

In the past I have struggled with music and the emotions that certain types of music can bring. Because of that I am careful what I listen to and I wouldn't want to offend a weaker brother or sister by recommending they listen to something that could cause them to struggle with their flesh.

The truth is that most of the lyrics to these songs can be interpreted in many different ways. There is not a lot of profanity or blatant hostility. It is just the music of our generation and nonchristians singing and writing about things they are passionate about.

Kings Of Leon is probably one of the best bands to come around in years. Their music is amazing.

Deltaman, you have effectlivly juxtiposed two very incongurous things here...

That is why I am having such an issue....

I dont oppose all musich that isnt "church music".

But the notion that one can be spiritually strong and therefore enjoy music that you confess might be damaging to a weaker saint baffels me as to why the "stronger" would WANT to do something like that!

I think there is a lot of secular music out there that any saint of God would find perfectly acceptable.

I do agree that a strong Christian can "handle" some things that would challenge a new saint or a weak saint. Surely those things exist in our daily lives.

but when you have something as wrong as Holy Roller Novacane, I cannot for the life of me understand how a person of any serious faith, either strong or weak or new or seasoned would WANT to listen to it!

That doesnt mean I wish bad things for the Kings. In factI stand by my statement. I wish them well. They have been wrong by "us" for certain.

I pray they find their way thru the fog and back to a real relationship with God.... and this might shock you, but I dont think that means they would need to stop being secular rockers....

but come one bro.... you can really listen to that kind of thing and it not have an effect on you?
Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
For the record 99 % of what I listen to is Christian music...specifically the Hillsong type. I rarely listen to this type of music, but I like it and will purchase some of it I am sure.
most of what I listen to is talk radio... I have spent some time yesterday and today listening to some moody blues, thanks to ILG...