Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station > Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte
Facebook

Notices

Tech Talk: with Bit & Byte For all those that speak Geek & Greek among us! Or for those technically challenged who don't!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Came with Vista.

It would make a fantastic Linux box then!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Prayerful lives are powerful

I just bought a brand new computer with VISTA. It is a nightmare. I can't get my printer to work even after downloading from HP. I should have looked for XP but it seemed all the new computers were VISTA.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
I just bought a brand new computer with VISTA. It is a nightmare. I can't get my printer to work even after downloading from HP. I should have looked for XP but it seemed all the new computers were VISTA.
www.kubuntu.com

Works.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
You downloaded a new Vista driver for your printer? Was it installed correctly?
Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Sheltiedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
Not working for me... I want to say bye-bye to Microsoft on my home pc, but Kubuntu 6, 7 and Fedora 6 all just freeze on me with no error message... my mouse still moves around but I can't click on anything... however XP, Vista and Advanced Server 2003 all work flawlessly on the exact same hardware...

I am downloading Fedora 7 RC2 right now with BitTorrent, so I will see if it helps. I would rate my Microsoft skills an 8 out of 10 but my Linux skills are more like a 2 or a 3 so I get frustrated easily...
Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Anybody using the new Microsoft VISTA operatong system?

I recently bought a new laptop with VISTA Basic and I am underwhelmed. So far I see zero advantages over Windows XP.

Is it because I only have the basic and not the premium or ultimate?

My understanding is that the premium and ultimate require a min of 1 gig RAM to operate so on computers like mine that only came with 512 mb RAM they can only put Vista basic on.

Now that I have upgraded my RAM to 2 gigs I could upgrade to VISTA premium but I don't know what the difference is and if it would be worth the money.

One thing I had read about VISTA and was looking forward to turned out to be a lie. I had read that it would boot up and down in just a few seconds. Ha! Even with 2 gigs of RAM and a dual core processor that does not happen.
My dad bought a new laptop with Vista installed. I think it is harder to use. I prefer XP any day.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltiedad View Post
Not working for me... I want to say bye-bye to Microsoft on my home pc, but Kubuntu 6, 7 and Fedora 6 all just freeze on me with no error message... my mouse still moves around but I can't click on anything... however XP, Vista and Advanced Server 2003 all work flawlessly on the exact same hardware...

I am downloading Fedora 7 RC2 right now with BitTorrent, so I will see if it helps. I would rate my Microsoft skills an 8 out of 10 but my Linux skills are more like a 2 or a 3 so I get frustrated easily...
After a while you are confident enough to be daring. I want to try another distro myself like Arch or Sabayon.

Mandriva has a Live/Inistall that is based on Fedora Core.

I have a laptop I have not converted to Linux too.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

People, if you can at ALL go to ebay or wherever and get you a copy of Win XP PRO! I will not install Vista on my computer and will probably resist until every software I use MAKES you use Vista.

It is a Bloated, horrible piece of software that barely works. I had the beta version and it was just terrible. I will stick with win XP....if you can go out and buy you a copy of that while you still can!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

If you can,try buying a coipy of win xp pro.....MUCH better OS than Vista. Vista is bloated and slow.

You really need to buy xp pro while you still can and reformat and put that on your computer. I willk not use Vista untilI am forced to by the software only going to vista....but until then,I will enjoy XP......mabye some other OS will be out by the time that happens anyway.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Oneness Pentecostal Preacher

Here is a quick install guide for Windows Vista.

When your done there, click here!