Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Great post.

It is, sometimes, the teaching of rules rather than understanding that leads to so many inconsistencies.

For instance... the rules may be... our ladies wear skirts...

The end result is that no one has been taught an inward concept of Holiness so, while a skirt is being worn, it is skin tight and reveals as much as any pair of pants.

The issue here is that we have missed the point. The way we missed the point is by teaching a list of rules. Then the focus was on that list of rules and the beautiful and powerful concept of holiness and modesty were missed.

There is no substitute for a child of God learning and loving the very nature of their creator and savior.
Or, they move and end up in a church with a pastor who preaches "I don't..because" but not "you may not" and they go kind of wild over that freedom.

I find it kind of sad. What I do or don't do started 10 years ago with God showing me what to do/don't do. I wasn't in a church that taught standards, didn't know any such things existed, but 8 to 9 years ago I living what I now recognize as some of the standards taught in Apostolic/Pentecostal churches. As soon as I came back into the church (this time Apostolic/Pentecostal) God pointed out that I still have a responsibility for what I once knew. Not just what I look like, but everything having to do with holiness and sanctification. I *look* like I've been taught well, but it's not my pastor doing the teaching. lol Changing something visible would be an outward sign of an inward change, not the change itself, in either direction.