Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Mr. Stewart

Re: MMA--Mixed Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingGrace View Post
Sniff sniff. I guess I need to spend a week home in front of the tube then cuz I seem to miss it real bad lately LOL... Seriously I used to plan my days around watching stuff like this and now its forever!

Going to skim the channels now and see when the next something is on uh huh! YEP!

Thanks! Its all your fault!
Just here to help

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 09-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
I try to catch them whenever I can. I never actually order them. I'm not sure if anybody is going to beat Silva anytime soon. I'm actually pretty curious about Lesnar. He impresses me with his willingness to fight some of the best even though he is not polished yet. I'm not sure I would do it that way myself, but at least he's not like Kimbo who is just fighting old washed up guys. Did you hear that he's fighting Ken Shamrock next?
Yeah the fight between Ken and Kimbo is in Oct or Nov and Lesnar is fighting Randy Couture in Nov too. Did you see Lesnar take it to Keith Herring?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTULLOCK View Post
Yeah the fight between Ken and Kimbo is in Oct or Nov and Lesnar is fighting Randy Couture in Nov too. Did you see Lesnar take it to Keith Herring?
That was impressive. Herring is no slouch. When he came over from Pride, people expected him to be a serious contender. He was in better shape for this fight than I have ever seen him and he knew it was a must win. Lesnar was also manhandling Mir (who is a former champ) before he just made a rookie mistake. I actually thought the Mir fight was going to be stopped in the first minute and it probably would have been if the ref hadn't stood them up.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Go Dodgers!

Kimbo is over rated...anyways the MMA is slowly becoming like WWF sadly the way they hype it. It is getting less and less professional

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Kimbo is over rated...anyways the MMA is slowly becoming like WWF sadly the way they hype it. It is getting less and less professional
They certainly do sell the entertainment aspect, but I don't think that the quality of the fighting has been affected. More kids and younger people are getting into MMA and it seems like you are seeing much more well-rounded fighters all the time. The great thing is that it is not like boxing in that people dodge other people for years. The fact that fighters are under contract and have to fight who the company says would make the best fight is a good thing.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
And yes, unless Kimbo gets in with someone closer to his prime, he is vastly overrated.
Ray Mercer, Tank Abbott, Ken Shamrock...give me a break.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

I watched UFC back in the day when Joyce Gracy was beating all comers. I thought Frank Shamrock was pretty impressive. His brother was all brawn, but Frank was smaller and nimble and crazy like a fox. I saw him take down this huge dude who had karate black belts up the ying yang. The bell rang in the first round and Frank ran up to the guy at full speed and literally jumped on the guys head, took him down to the mat and the gorilla tapped out in like fifteen seconds! It was unbelievable! People in the stands booed cuz it was so fast. Seriously, if you took a drink of your Coke and looked back you missed the entire fight! The big dude got up and had this look on his face like, "What just happened? Was that legal? Am I still a man?" haha.

We have several MMA training clubs in our area. Shamrocks "Lions Den" is/was only about 15 miles from my house here. Not sure if they still train out there or not.

Anyway, I can't watch that stuff anymore. For me it brings out an aggression in me that I'm uncomfortable with. It's a bloodsport and I've got just enough crazy in me that I can't watch it cuz of what it does to me emotionally and spiritually. I'm not pointing fingers and getting legalistic here and saying others can't enjoy it. Not at all. I'm just saying that I can't, and don't any more.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Ahhh, how I miss the olden days of Keith Hackney, Don Fry and the rest....
Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

One of my students is wanting to start competition MMA. I've been doing some extra training with him as of late. Personally, I like my nose where it is right now and am still partial to chewing my food.

I did get an interesting proposition the other day. A guy in charge of the MP's at Selfridge Air Base in Mount Clemens, Mi has voiced to a buddy of mine that he would like us to get together a group of guys to come train with his MP's. Sounds like a lotta fun.

Btw, check out the Liddell vs Evans bout here ...... OUCH!!
Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post
I watched UFC back in the day when Joyce Gracy was beating all comers. I thought Frank Shamrock was pretty impressive. His brother was all brawn, but Frank was smaller and nimble and crazy like a fox. I saw him take down this huge dude who had karate black belts up the ying yang. The bell rang in the first round and Frank ran up to the guy at full speed and literally jumped on the guys head, took him down to the mat and the gorilla tapped out in like fifteen seconds! It was unbelievable! People in the stands booed cuz it was so fast. Seriously, if you took a drink of your Coke and looked back you missed the entire fight! The big dude got up and had this look on his face like, "What just happened? Was that legal? Am I still a man?" haha.

We have several MMA training clubs in our area. Shamrocks "Lions Den" is/was only about 15 miles from my house here. Not sure if they still train out there or not.

Anyway, I can't watch that stuff anymore. For me it brings out an aggression in me that I'm uncomfortable with. It's a bloodsport and I've got just enough crazy in me that I can't watch it cuz of what it does to me emotionally and spiritually. I'm not pointing fingers and getting legalistic here and saying others can't enjoy it. Not at all. I'm just saying that I can't, and don't any more.
ROYCE not JOYCE lol

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.