Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't ask.

Re: Timmy Talk

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't ask.

Hell

Hell

OK, so here it is. The long awaited essay on hell. What can I say about hell, other than it's hot? I guess it's hot, anyway. Wait. Maybe I'm confusing hell with the Lake O' Fire (as one poster likes to call it). Now that is hot. After all, it's a lake of fire, for crying out loud! I bet it's going to be like 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit. At least!

Hell or a lake, either way, there will be a final destination for unbelievers and other such evil people. Some say it will be a place of eternal torment. Flames -- burning but never consuming. Extreme pain, for a long, long time.

The hottest part of a candle flame, I've heard, is about 2,500°F. Now, I can pass my finger through a candle flame quickly. Or somewhat slowly, for a more impressive feat. But hold it there, even for a second or two? Ugh, no thank you! Or punish my son for, say, disobeying me by holding his hand over it for 10 seconds? Wouldn't even consider it. If I did, I should go to jail! It would be a horrible, evil thing to do, no matter what the boy did.

Of course, I'm not God. He's got to do what He's got to do, if He likes it or not. He's just. And justice requires punishment. Forever, apparently. And I tell ya, after mere seconds of such torture, we'll be really sorry. Really, really sorry. But this repentance will do us no good. It's too late. We should have chosen what to believe more carefully. Either that or wish our parents had killed us when we were too young to decide. (If the age of accountability doctrine is true!)

Others believe it's more of a mental torture -- eternal separation from God. In their minds, this is a terrible enough fate. Still others foresee a place where we evil ones will be purified. Our evil will be extracted from us, so we will become just as good (via imputed righteousness) as you. Then we can join you for a big ole party! Sure hope they're right. Or I'm right.

So, what do I believe? You won't like it. You might want to stop reading. No? Still want to know? Don't say I didn't warn you. Here it is: I happen to believe that there is no after-life, whether you are a believer (in whatever your religion is) or not. What some call a soul or a spirit is our awareness. Our consciousness. Our memories. Our minds. All these things are tied in to our brains. Organic material with lots of neurons and synapses, with lots of electric and chemical activity. Awareness, perception, thoughts, memories, etc. all can be affected by many things. Sleep, drugs, sickness, hormones, etc. Some of these things can, in effect, halt our awareness, temporarily (usually). We become unconscious. Neurons fire less often. Brain activity slows down, or changes in subtle ways, and these changes are reflected in our thinking and awareness. Except while we are dreaming, sleep, for all practical purposes, stops our awareness and our (conscious) thinking. Why should death be any different? If the brain dies, with no more electric or chemical activity, why should our consciousness continue on? Why shouldn't we simply enter into eternal unconsciousness?

The point I am making here, of course, is that I don't believe hell exists. Nor does Heaven. Not as any kind of physical or spiritual destinations that everyone goes to after death, depending on which religion they chose to follow, or how good or bad they were in this life, or on anything else.

What are the ramifications of my belief, in this area? Some would say, if there is nothing after this, what's the point to life? I say: life is its own point! If this is all there is, then this life -- the here and now -- is all the more precious!

If you are expecting some kind of reward after this, and if you need such a promise in order to "be good", I'm not stopping you (and I hope you got the instructions on how to get a good afterlife all correct). As for me, I think being good is the best way to have a good life, here and now. And that's true whether I'm right or wrong about an afterlife.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
mary

So you ascribe to the soul sleep doctrine, hmm? But your idea of soul sleep would be eternal?

I like my idea better than your idea...

I don't know anyone but me that believes that heaven and hell are symbolized in the Bible, yet real in some sense (mainly mentally, as you state). According to what I know of UR, I'd have to think that everyone would be punished for some amount of time, because we will all be judged for the deeds done in our bodies, and our righteousness is as filthy rags, after all. Yet URs don't believe this, to my knowledge, due to the atonement. The idea of real eternal flames as punishment for everyone, no matter their situation in life, crosses my idea of a holy, just, merciful and loving God, too, though; therefore I arrived at an idea that the descriptions of heaven and hell in the Bible were symbolic. Can't quite remember when or how I came to that idea... many, many years, though.

Life indeed has it's own point. If we are only good to escape punishment, we will have a very sad existence in this life, indeed. I agree wholeheartedly in saying, "As for me, I think being good is the best way to have a good life, here and now."

Thanks!

Last edited by missourimary; 01-12-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
So you ascribe to the soul sleep doctrine, hmm? But your idea of soul sleep would be eternal?

I like my idea better than your idea...

I don't know anyone but me that believes that heaven and hell are symbolized in the Bible, yet real in some sense (mainly mentally, as you state). According to what I know of UR, I'd have to think that everyone would be punished for some amount of time, because we will all be judged for the deeds done in our bodies, and our righteousness is as filthy rags, after all. Yet URs don't believe this, to my knowledge, due to the atonement. The idea of real eternal flames as punishment for everyone, no matter their situation in life, crosses my idea of a holy, just, merciful and loving God, though.

Life indeed has it's own point. If we are only good to escape punishment, we will have a very sad existence in this life, indeed. I agree wholeheartedly in saying, "As for me, I think being good is the best way to have a good life, here and now."

Thanks!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Don't ask.

Before I'm accused of ignoring a question:

Quote:

. . .
Yes.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM
mary

You should know, I'm small town midwest. You are probably the only professed agnostic with deist leanings that I've ever met. I had to look up the term to know exactly what you didn't believe. I still haven't quite figured it out...
Old 01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
You should know, I'm small town midwest. You are probably the only professed agnostic with deist leanings that I've ever met. I had to look up the term to know exactly what you didn't believe. I still haven't quite figured it out...
Me neither.

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
mary

that makes me feel better, Timmy.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Don't ask.

We're all a work in progress, aren't we? Or we should be!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
mary

Very true. That's what makes life so interesting, right?