Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Re: Offended by the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by notofworks View Post

I college we'd have these services where someone would preach on making things right with others and they'd tell people to go make it right with those they had aught in their hear against.

And I'd always have this line of people waiting to talk to me!

I always felt like I needed a take-a-number machine.
After those services, I have been tempted to tell someone that I am sorry... I hope they die.... and go to... heaven!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
After those services, I have been tempted to tell someone that I am sorry... I hope they die.... and go to... heaven!

Those are completely non-scriptural services, by the way. There is nothing in scripture that says you're supposed to go to someone you don't like and apologize. I'd have people come up to me and tearfully say, "I've had a really hard time with you and I just couldn't stand you" and I'd go, "Huh??" and it would mess me up for a couple of days wondering who else might hate me.

We're only instructed in scripture to go make it right with people with whom we've had a conflict.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
I think you should go with her song "Toxic".
Last year Sarah did a school project that involved researching the effects of listening to heavy metal music, as well as degrading and offensive lyrics in music. We listened to and read a LOT of offensive content while she was working on that project. I was there to provide context, but I didn't sanitize the content. She came away with her own conclusions, and most of them were pretty satisfactory to me as a parent.

We don't avoid foul content altogether; if it's going to be used for a purpose, then we frame it and are there for discussion.

A good example would be some of the books and movies I have on the *required list* for high school:

Uncle Tom's Cabin
Schindler's List
(book & movie)
Life Is Beautiful
Catcher In the Rye
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
(book & movie)
The Passion of the Christ
Leaves of Grass

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Those are completely non-scriptural services, by the way. There is nothing in scripture that says you're supposed to go to someone you don't like and apologize. I'd have people come up to me and tearfully say, "I've had a really hard time with you and I just couldn't stand you" and I'd go, "Huh??" and it would mess me up for a couple of days wondering who else might hate me.

We're only instructed in scripture to go make it right with people with whom we've had a conflict.
I think I'll start a new thread for you!

"NOW, I have had very strong feelings of dislike, yeah, even hatred for you..... I am so sorry! Lord knows I want to make heaven my home - and even you may be there. Will you forgive me NOW?

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:

And by the way, Hoovie, you drive me nuts. I can't stand ex-Amish Chimney-sweeps. You guys are a joke and I have no use for you. I apologize for feeling that way. Will you forgive me?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
I think I'll start a new thread for you!

"NOW, I have had very strong feelings of dislike, yeah, even hatred for you..... I am so sorry! Lord knows I want to make heaven my home - and even you may be there. Will you forgive me NOW?

I typed the post underneath your post at the same time you were typing yours!

You know, CC1 did a smart-aleck hit thread on me and it turned into a lovefest for me. (that seriously meant a lot to me) So now we could do a "I hate NOW and I'm sorry" thread!!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
And by the way, Hoovie, you drive me nuts. I can't stand ex-Amish Chimney-sweeps. You guys are a joke and I have no use for you. I apologize for feeling that way. Will you forgive me?

Could be all those years of hats and suspenders, or the followup years of breathing soot... but I could care less actually.

You can kiss my creosote covered flue brush!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:

You know, CC1 did a smart-aleck hit thread on me and it turned into a lovefest for me. (that seriously meant a lot to me) So now we could do a "I hate NOW and I'm sorry" thread!!
You'd be stealing Baron's thunder, and I'm not going to allow it!!!!

This is HIS offensive thread. Back off, Betsy!

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Only this time we will culminate it with making you disappear and then locking the thread!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Could be all those years of hats and suspenders, or the followup years of breathing soot... but I could care less actually.

You can kiss my creosote covered flue brush!

And I am offended by people who say, "I could care less" than the correct way, which is, "I couldn't care less." I think you're a moron and I'm sorry. Will you forgive me? (this could get fun)

It took me time but I learned on AFF how to call people names without actually doing it. I think I may have stumbled into a completely new way to insult people.

"Hey ________, I think you're an idiot. I'm sorry for feeling that way. Do you forgive me?"

This could work!!!