Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:57 PM
mary

Re: Timmy Talk

I guess one thing, if we hadn't sinned there probably wouldn't be big hospital bills or lawyer fees!!!

Maybe God would have kept creating more worlds and then beaming us out as we continued overpopulating?

If Aquila is right in his belief that we will continue reproducing in eternity... wow, think of the mathematical proportions of that disaster!

Last edited by missourimary; 10-23-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
. . .

What would have happened if Adam hadn't taken what Eve gave him?
OK, I do have some thoughts on this. Here's what would happen: Eve would keep bugging him, turning on the tears, giving him the silent treatment, you name it. Until finally, Adam would give in. In fact, maybe that is what happened, and what we have in Genesis is the condensed version!

Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:10 PM
mary

Poor guy. And then he gives in and the whole thing is blamed on him!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Sin nature is simply our inclination to sin. We had this, Jesus had this. Nothing magical about it. Let me ask you this. If your sin nature is removed because of your belief in Jesus and your spouses is also, why is your child born with a sin nature seeing as both of your sin natures are removed?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 PM
mary

Ok, since we are off topic, did Adam have a belly button?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

everyone knows he had an outy belly button
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
Sin nature is simply our inclination to sin. We had this, Jesus had this. Nothing magical about it. Let me ask you this. If your sin nature is removed because of your belief in Jesus and your spouses is also, why is your child born with a sin nature seeing as both of your sin natures are removed?
Jesus had a sin nature?

OK, now I'm impressed by his sinlessness again!

Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Jesus had a sin nature?

OK, now I'm impressed by his sinlessness again!
I'm amazed that anyone could believe he didn't... well maybe not so amazed because I have heard the teaching so much, but still its rather uninspiring as you pointed out earlier timmy.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Don't ask.

Falling behind in my blogging. Need a topic. Any requests?

Why am I not surprised?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Don't ask.

Human Effort

I used the "Trebuchet MS" font in the title because I like the name. Trebuchets are cool. If you don't know what they are, they're like catapults, but work on a different principle. Rather than explain it myself, I'll just refer you to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trebuchet. Saw a flaming piano flung by one of these things on TV, once. Awesome!

Oh, look! Here it is on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wVADKznOhY

Are you wondering why I seem to have hijacked my own post, right off the bat? I am actually giving examples of human effort! YouTube itself is an example, which built on technologies (video, web, computer, etc.) developed by human effort. Trebuchets are awesome examples. Pianos. Fonts. Wiki. Etc.

A complete catalog of human effort would be unimaginably huge, of course. Bridges, skyscrapers, cars, airplanes. Libraries are chock full of examples. Universities are dedicated to expanding it. And on a smaller scale, people living their everyday lives use it just to survive! And to get along with each other, and to improve the human condition: contributing to charities, volunteering locally, posting on web forums , etc.

And yet, human effort is to be disdained, even shunned, according to some. And when stacked up against God's divine effort (creation of the universe, for example), they perhaps have a point. But is that a good reason to put it down so much? Some folks will say things like "I am nothing, without God", or "I don't want my will for my life [which sounds like an oxymoron!], I want God's will [oh, OK then]", or "man's righteousness is filthy rags". Talk about an inferiority complex! But, again, if you are comparing us (whether humanity as a whole or any individual human) against God's infinite perfection, sure. Relatively filthy. Relatively puny. Relatively worthless.

But the key word is "relatively". What is the point of comparing any potentially imperfect thing (whether it is "effort" or "goodness" or whatever) against absolute perfection? You will never be perfect, so what is the point of even trying?

Now, some may point to the story of the tower of Babel, and say that God wants us not to use human effort to accomplish things. God seemed to be really concerned about that! Yikes! Can't let them get away with building this tower, or there's nothing they can't do if they put their minds to it! Smash it! Scatter those people, confound their language, quick! Whew, that was close.

And what about those kids in the garden? They messed up. Better banish them quick, before they eat the fruit of that other tree and live forever! Yikes!

Anyway, back to the topic. Human effort. Yeah. Think what you want about it. Think of it as futile and evil, if you like. I prefer to applaud it, and encourage it to grow, to make life better. Seriously: what could it hurt?

Why am I not surprised?