Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
OP, YOU may know the whole story in Starks, but when you are talking about Southwest Louisiana, there really isnt any "knowing the whole story".

There is no place on earth like the land of my birth. Some of the greatest preachers in pentecost come from the Imperial Calcasieu Parish area. That would be Camron, Calcasieu, Beauregard, Jefferson Davis and Allen Parishes....

But it is also home to some of the worst blood fueds in Pentecost too!

Every little town has some odd story. everyone seems to think they are right.
That five parish area was at one time Imperial Calcasieu Parish.

Now Jeff Davis Parish (Lake Arthur, Jennings, etc.) is in present day Section 5. W. C. Jackson was the longtime presbyter there.

Now you won't find many great preachers or leaders originating from there since that is the entrance to hard-core Cajun country - going eastward into Lafayette and beyond.

Allen Parish?

Yes ... Kinder and Oakdale - an extension of Beauregard Parish with quite a few pentecostal churches.

Earl Long knew this area well - he knew all of Louisiana well.

But he was a master campaigner who knew to break out the French-speaking stump speakers in Elton, but it was a no-no to do that in the redneck country around Kinder in Allen Parish, just 15-20 miles up the road.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Psalms 132:1

Quote:
OP, YOU may know the whole story in Starks, but when you are talking about Southwest Louisiana, there really isnt any "knowing the whole story".

There is no place on earth like the land of my birth. Some of the greatest preachers in pentecost come from the Imperial Calcasieu Parish area. That would be Camron, Calcasieu, Beauregard, Jefferson Davis and Allen Parishes....

But it is also home to some of the worst blood fueds in Pentecost too!

Every little town has some odd story. everyone seems to think they are right.

Ferd

I am familar with some of the "blood fueds" of Calcasieu parish and Starks in particular, but TWO churches in Starks has nothing to do with "blood fueds", but it was a DOCTRINAL/HOLINESS issue.

Why don't you PM Elder Epley and let him tell you the whole story.

DOCTOR Old Paths for all your spiritual needs.

STILL believing the same after all these years
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
That five parish area was at one time Imperial Calcasieu Parish.

Now Jeff Davis Parish (Lake Arthur, Jennings, etc.) is in present day Section 5. W. C. Jackson was the longtime presbyter there.

Now you won't find many great preachers or leaders originating from there since that is the entrance to hard-core Cajun country - going eastward into Lafayette and beyond.

Allen Parish?

Yes ... Kinder and Oakdale - an extension of Beauregard Parish with quite a few pentecostal churches.

Earl Long knew this area well - he knew all of Louisiana well.

But he was a master campaigner who knew to break out the French-speaking stump speakers in Elton, but it was a no-no to do that in the redneck country around Kinder in Allen Parish, just 15-20 miles up the road.

Tim, my grandfather had a first cousin from the area between Dry Creek and Reeves. Earl Long made him the oyster inspector for the state of Louisiana. I do not believe my cousin ever actully saw the gulf of mexico!

He did however have some really good Hog hunting dogs. Earl made many trips to that area to hunt with him!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paths View Post
Ferd

I am familar with some of the "blood fueds" of Calcasieu parish and Starks in particular, but TWO churches in Starks has nothing to do with "blood fueds", but it was a DOCTRINAL/HOLINESS issue.

Why don't you PM Elder Epley and let him tell you the whole story.
OP, there is no need at all to get into the particulars related to starks. I have no ax to grind and take you at your word.

my point here is, that we are talking about an area that has a long history. some battles were all about doctrine and right and wrong. others were about personalities.

everyone thought they were right and did all in the Name of God.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Ferd this story is so terrible it should never be published on an open forum if you would like I will pm you?
Brother Epley, I could also tell some stories that would curl your toenails.

I have lived thru more than one split and have seen pretty much everything you can think of. No need to go into details.

I respect you completely and am in no way making any challenge to the facts surrrounding that one location....

just speaking about the area in general and its history. Lets let the dead bury the dead...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Tim, my grandfather had a first cousin from the area between Dry Creek and Reeves. Earl Long made him the oyster inspector for the state of Louisiana. I do not believe my cousin ever actully saw the gulf of mexico!

He did however have some really good Hog hunting dogs. Earl made many trips to that area to hunt with him!
Now that is the Louisiana that I know. I had an uncle that "worked" for some division of the La. State government during one of Edwin Edwards reelection campagin for Governor back in the 70's. I think it was the "Weights and Measures" department. He had a brand new state issued pickup complete with the seal of La. on the door.

In actuality his job was to travel the state in that truck working on Edwards campgain. Typical.

Louisiana is the most corrup state in the union I believe. Corruption is pevasive in the state government and most local governments. A way of life.

That is one reason I have no pity for the most part regarding Katrina. That state wasted hundreds of millions of all of our federal tax dollars that were supposed to be used on the levvys.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Louisiana is the most corrup state in the union I believe. Corruption is pevasive in the state government and most local governments. A way of life.
I am sure you have heard the old story -- we sold our old voting machines to Mexico, and Edwards is still getting voted in as their President.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Now that is the Louisiana that I know. I had an uncle that "worked" for some division of the La. State government during one of Edwin Edwards reelection campagin for Governor back in the 70's. I think it was the "Weights and Measures" department. He had a brand new state issued pickup complete with the seal of La. on the door.

In actuality his job was to travel the state in that truck working on Edwards campgain. Typical.

That is one reason I have no pity for the most part regarding Katrina. That state wasted hundreds of millions of all of our federal tax dollars that were supposed to be used on the levvys.

The good news is, Bobby Jindal is a reformer who will clean things up.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister_WD View Post
Brother Phillips (pastor in shady grove and a district presbyter in Louisiana) has pulled his church out of the org. He is very conservitive and I suspect this is an indication he is OUT.

2. Wayne Cardwell from DeQuincy has been told by his church that he can leave the UPCI but the CHURCH ISNT....

AND .....

3. ANOTHER CHURCH has told their Pastor that he can leave but THE CHURCH IS STAYING! And that man is CRAWFORD COON!

Anyone see a fundamental problem with the two bolded statements above?

Minister_WD, I'm certainly not saying you're not telling the truth, in fact, I believe you. I'm just a bit concerned when I hear that a church is telling their pastor what he CAN or CANNOT do.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Anyone see a fundamental problem with the two bolded statements above?

Minister_WD, I'm certainly not saying you're not telling the truth, in fact, I believe you. I'm just a bit concerned when I hear that a church is telling their pastor what he CAN or CANNOT do.
MP, having been very close to a situation where a pastor was attempting to pull out of the UPCI moving in the opposite direction (very liberal), I can tell you that a church that has a long history with an organization, has every right to look the pastor in the eye and tell him he can go but the church wont.

Both of these churches have been in the UPCI longer than the current pastor has been alive if i am not mistaken.