Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Christmas 2009

My 18 year old son plays in a "rock" alternative band, but they are all Christians. They feel like they can be a positive influence in a very warped world. He is very devout, would never touch alcohol or drugs and is very adamant and outspoken about his stand on premarital sex. He plays shows, but has not played in places where they serve alcohol. They are not blatantly gospel in their lyrics, but the lyrics are clean. He really feels a call from God to reach into the rough places and be a light. Some of you would probably not agree with this, and I was leery at first, but I have seen the fruit of his life and the teens that he has reached through his witness.

Do I like the music? NOT AT ALL - it's definitely not my style. But then my parents hated my music too. I have put him in the hands of God and now I have to trust him to make his own decisions.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
just lurking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
My 18 year old son plays in a "rock" alternative band, but they are all Christians. They feel like they can be a positive influence in a very warped world. He is very devout, would never touch alcohol or drugs and is very adamant and outspoken about his stand on premarital sex. He plays shows, but has not played in places where they serve alcohol. They are not blatantly gospel in their lyrics, but the lyrics are clean. He really feels a call from God to reach into the rough places and be a light. Some of you would probably not agree with this, and I was leery at first, but I have seen the fruit of his life and the teens that he has reached through his witness.

Do I like the music? NOT AT ALL - it's definitely not my style. But then my parents hated my music too. I have put him in the hands of God and now I have to trust him to make his own decisions.
I love rock music!

Why do people think that a song played on a piano is holy but with an electric guitar is satanic? It's all about content!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Shepherd View Post
No disrespect meant here but you can look them up if you want to argue about whether the KOL are demon posessed. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me if you think they are or not. The man of Gadera was posessed but he ran to worship Jesus. What he did was really not that much wierder than what rock and roll musicians do all the time. Running around screaming, tearing their clothes off, destroying hotel rooms, instruments, and writhing around on stage.
None taken. I don't care to argue. I pray they all get delivered and filled with The Spirit!
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 03-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

I've been out of pocket for a few days, but I wanted to comment on this thread. Like Sherri, I know the boy's parents very well.

I hadn't seen Betty Ann in years, and one day she showed up in my store wanted a piano for their new home here in Nashville. We spent a long time just catching up on what had been going on in each of our lives. I was taken back when she started talking about her boys (the oldest was around 12 last I had seen them) and told me they were famous! She told me the name of their group, and of course I'd never heard of them. It turns out they are more famous over in Europe than in the US.

We had Betty Ann and her new husband over to our home for dinner. She brought pictures of her boys, and to me they all looked like Charles Manson! haha! She saw a picture of my daughter, and wanted to introduce her to one of her sons. We smiled, but in our minds, me and Mrs. Pianoman were thinking, "NO WAY!"

To be fair, their mom admits that the boys aren't living right and are smoking lots of pot and such. She has a lot of faith in the youngest son (bass player), to make something of himself after the ride is over. He is putting money aside for college, and wants to become a doctor. She says he is very intelligent.

As a mom, she is proud of their success, but understands what kind of success it is!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post

Your son will be able to reach people that you or other people can't reach.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
I've been out of pocket for a few days, but I wanted to comment on this thread. Like Sherri, I know the boy's parents very well.

I hadn't seen Betty Ann in years, and one day she showed up in my store wanted a piano for their new home here in Nashville. We spent a long time just catching up on what had been going on in each of our lives. I was taken back when she started talking about her boys (the oldest was around 12 last I had seen them) and told me they were famous! She told me the name of their group, and of course I'd never heard of them. It turns out they are more famous over in Europe than in the US.

We had Betty Ann and her new husband over to our home for dinner. She brought pictures of her boys, and to me they all looked like Charles Manson! haha! She saw a picture of my daughter, and wanted to introduce her to one of her sons. We smiled, but in our minds, me and Mrs. Pianoman were thinking, "NO WAY!"

To be fair, their mom admits that the boys aren't living right and are smoking lots of pot and such. She has a lot of faith in the youngest son (bass player), to make something of himself after the ride is over. He is putting money aside for college, and wants to become a doctor. She says he is very intelligent.

As a mom, she is proud of their success, but understands what kind of success it is!
Pianoman, the problem as we all know is that he may not get out intact - spritually or otherwise. "Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?"
Old 03-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Beautiful are the feet......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Shepherd View Post
Pianoman, the problem as we all know is that he may not get out intact - spritually or otherwise. "Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned?"
Oh, I agree! Reality says that he will suffer depression, and turn more and more to drugs. God can work miracles, and her vision would take a miracle!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but one of the members was rasied at FPC Jackson, his mom still attends, she is a good friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Just got through watching the news and saw that on the David Letterman Late Show coming on (now on) the musical guests are "The Kings of Leon".

Some have posted about this group on NFCF and I think here. They are the kids from a family that not only used to be UPC but the father was a UPC pastor.

I don't know the story first hand but have heard that the entire family got out of church about the same time and the kids ended up into rock and roll.

I assume this had to be around ten years or more ago since I moved to Nashville in 1999 and the dad was suppposed to have pastored here and I have never heard of him.

I am guessing it must not have been a very big church or it would have been big news.

Does anyone know the family or the story?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ube2kewl View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but one of the members was rasied at FPC Jackson, his mom still attends, she is a good friend
Hey Ube!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ube2kewl View Post
What's the band member's name? I'm from Jackson.