Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Re: Cakes

Does anyone have the recipe for Buttercream icing that Walmart uses?

My SIL is wanting it because she likes the texture of the icing.

She also shared with me a hint a cake decorating lady gave her. If you put a vanilla bean in your confection sugar it will have a vanilla flavor.

Thanks for your help.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
GO CUBBIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola View Post
Thank You Margie3! I don't know how LaGirl feels, but, if people DON'T eat my cake...it worries me! I like them to enjoy the TASTE really more than the look.

LaGirl: Yeah, there are ALWAYS 10000 questions, but, that's 'cause they are interested...well, that's what I TELL myself, anyway! LOL
i agree! i like to see people actually eat the cakes i make.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
GO CUBBIES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post

You did a GREAT job...what a fun cake!

I haven't done anything since the last wedding...
thanks! it was fun to make it. time consuming, but fun.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

I haven't read each and every cake recipe here so this may be a duplicate. If so, my apologies.

Mix a German Chocolate cake mix according to directions on the box. Stir in a can of Coconut Pecan Frosting INTO the batter. Pour into a bundt pan and bake according to directions on cake mix box.

Another VERY good version is

Mix a BUTTER PECAN cake mix according to directions on the box. Stir a can of Coconut Pecan Frosting INTO the batter. Pour into a bundt pan and bake according to directions on cake mix box.

I've tried both of these and prefer the Butter Pecan myself. I think you could try several different cake batters with the icing stirred in. I plan to try a Spice Cake but so far I've only done these two. The icing makes the cake very moist and of course adds the coconut and pecans.

No need to ice the cake.

Very good and easy.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I havent looked all thru here because I doubt there are any but if any of you know of (most have no reason to use them so probably dont) any recipes for a gluten free cake please help me out! All my nieces and nephews have celiacs and I need a recipe for a bday cake as they are all coming down this summer and I need to make 2 cakes. I know you can buy the mixes at whole foods and walmart even has a couple but I wanted to do it on my own if possible!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:02 PM
scooterbugs25

FUDGE WALNUT CAKE - WHEAT AND GLUTEN FREE

2 c. walnuts, chopped
8 eggs, separated
1 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. softened butter
6 sqs. semi-sweet chocolate (melted) or 3 semi-sweet and 3 unsweet
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In large bowl, mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, beating at high speed. Sprinkle half of confectioners' sugar in 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat well after each addition. Whites should be stiff and glossy.
In another bowl, at low speed, beat yolks, butter, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, nuts, chocolate and cornstarch, vanilla. Mix constantly scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium and beat 4 minutes.

With spatula, fold in egg whites, just until mixed. (Mixture will decrease in volume slightly.)

Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan, level top. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes until cracks look dry. Invert pan on bottle or funnel. Cool completely. Loosen cake from pan, remove to plate. Frost with favorite frosting.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Awesome thank you!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

Here is a variation for you.
When making a German Chocolate cake while the cake is warm, not long out of the oven and pans, pour some chocolate ganache over the cake. This is best when you do a sheet cake.

Ganache
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
12 oz semi sweet chocolate (or whatever type you like, I prefer dark chocolate)

Heat heavy cream to simmer, remove from heat, stir in chocolate till smooth

while still warm pour over cake
cool in fridge before topping with traditional German chocolate icing.

I also like to use devils food cake in place of German chocolate cake.
I can make it from scratch but it is just as good if made from your favorite boxed mix.

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HADDOCK View Post
I haven't read each and every cake recipe here so this may be a duplicate. If so, my apologies.

Mix a German Chocolate cake mix according to directions on the box. Stir in a can of Coconut Pecan Frosting INTO the batter. Pour into a bundt pan and bake according to directions on cake mix box.

Another VERY good version is

Mix a BUTTER PECAN cake mix according to directions on the box. Stir a can of Coconut Pecan Frosting INTO the batter. Pour into a bundt pan and bake according to directions on cake mix box.

I've tried both of these and prefer the Butter Pecan myself. I think you could try several different cake batters with the icing stirred in. I plan to try a Spice Cake but so far I've only done these two. The icing makes the cake very moist and of course adds the coconut and pecans.

No need to ice the cake.

Very good and easy.
Sounds very good.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I'm doing a friend's birthday cake this week. She wanted chocolate for her husband. So, today I made the cake (icing tomorrow). It is a Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Mocha and will have Dark Chocolate icing and Oreo Cookie Icing as a filling. I will decorate it with Malted Milk Balls and Mini Oreo Cookies (birthday boy LOVES Oreo cookies).

The cake is just a Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake with 1/2 the water replaced with Marshmallow Mocha Coffee Creamer. I will make the icing using Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder and will use the Coffee Creamer in it as well.

Sure hope they like it! It smelled REALLY GOOD today while it was baking!